Who would you choose?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose?

• Clinton Portis
    • Santana Moss
    • Jason Campbell
    • Chris Cooley
    • Mike Sellers
    • Randy Thomas(or Jansen Samuels, basically oline)
    • Marcus Washington
    • Sean Taylor
    • Fred Smoot
    • Andre Carter

Vice President Exempts His Office from the Requirements for Protecting Classified Information

The Oversight Committee has learned that over the objections of the National Archives, Vice President Cheney exempted his office from the presidential order that establishes government-wide procedures for safeguarding classified national security information. The Vice President asserts that his office is not an “entity within the executive branch.”

As described in a letter from Chairman Waxman to the Vice President, the National Archives protested the Vice President's position in letters written in June 2006 and August 2006. When these letters were ignored, the National Archives wrote to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales in January 2007 to seek a resolution of the impasse. The Vice President's staff responded by seeking to abolish the agency within the Archives that is responsible for implementing the President's executive order.

In his letter to the Vice President, Chairman Waxman writes: "I question both the legality and wisdom of your actions. ... t would appear particularly irresponsible to give an office with your history of security breaches an exemption from the safeguards that apply to all other executive branch officials."

A fact sheet prepared by Chairman Waxman describes other instances in which the Vice President's office has sought to avoid oversight and accountability.

Waxman's Letter to the VP

Letter from the National Archives to the Attorney General

"On the sixth day of Hate Week... [when] the general hatred of Eurasia had boiled up into such delirium ... at just this moment it had been announced that Oceania was not after all at war with Eurasia. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Eurasia was an ally."

When you think back at all the scary legal arguments this administration has made...

Genva conventions don't apply to enamy combantants (And the President decides who is a enamy comabantant)

Signing statements

VP's office is not part of the executive branch

Pre-emptive strikes

International Jails run by Americans

This is scary stuff. I truly belive that Bush thinks they are doing what is best (They are wrong, but I belive they belive it is).

I also belive that they have not abused these rullings as bad as they could have.

But what about the next guy. or the guy after that.

The greatest thing George Washington did, is what he didn't do. He didn't utilize the full power of the presidency like he could have. He limited what the president did, and set precident that keeped the president powers in check.

This adminstration has changed the rules. They have cited and claimed presidential powers to SUCH a degree, that new precident has been set, and god forbid if a president in the future decided to abuse some of these new powers.

We need someone who is strong enough to roll these powers back.

Don't forget all the warrantless stuff, TMK. That list is far longer than the one you provided.

Or Gonzalez:

“The Constitution doesn’t say every individual in the United States or citizen is hereby granted or assured the right of habeas corpus. It doesn’t say that. It simply says the right shall not be suspended”

These guys are a damn disgrace.

And I don't mean all Republicans and I don't mean their stances on ordinary political issues - I just mean the WAY that THIS Administration goes about their business.

With apologies to Animal House: dishonest, hyperlegalistic and cronyridden is no way to go through life, son.

These guys are a damn disgrace.

And I don't mean all Republicans and I don't mean their stances on ordinary political issues - I just mean the WAY that THIS Administration goes about their business.

With apologies to Animal House: dishonest, hyperlegalistic and cronyridden is no way to go through life, son.

Agreed. And the dems are just as big a disgrace for letting them get away with it.

I keep remembering a cartoon I saw a long time ago.

It's a press conference, but it's set on a beach. A guy in a suit is standing under bright lights, behind a podium with the Presidential seal on it. A punch of reporters are waving their arms in the air, looking agitated.

Behind the speaker, is a dead whale, washed up on the beach, labeled "Watergate". A sheet, labeled "coverup" is held over the whale.

Caption reads "The President has authorized me to say 'What whale?'"

I would really like to see the legal reasoning put forth to explain this one. :laugh:

Either we are not getting the full picture or someone's getting REAL creative.

I wonder if they are claiming the VP is a hybrid between Executive and Legislative...neither fish or fowl? :whoknows: :silly:

It's hard to imagine what the other side is. This administration has been the most secretive in history. I think one of the more telling things is all the former aides who on leaving immediately started airng their dirty laundry and disagreements. How often do you see that? While the President is still sitting?

Usually, it takes a decade before the President's men will come out and say anything bad about him or their White House. This is not the case with our current President. I fear we have only seen the tip of the iceburg in terms of damage and Congress is too timid and weak to really be of help at this point.

It appears they are taking the stand I suggested :laugh:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/22/washington/22cnd-cheney.html?ei=5088&en=1c5dfec877aba826&ex=1340164800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1182487273-rTZG1goHjfA33UOA1acN4w

A spokeswoman for Mr. Cheney, Megan McGinn, said, “We’re confident that we’re conducting the office properly under the law.” She declined to elaborate.

But other officials familiar with Mr. Cheney’s view said that he and his legal adviser, David S. Addington do not believe the executive order applies to the vice president’s office because it has a legislative as well as an executive status in the Constitution.

TrickyDicky.jpg

Mr. Addington did not reply in writing to Mr. Leonard’s letters, according to officials familiar with their exchanges. But Mr. Addington stated in conversations that the vice president’s office was not an “entity within the executive branch” because, under the Constitution, the vice president also plays a role in the legislative branch, as president of the Senate, able to cast a vote in the event of a tie.

Mr. Cheney’s penchant for secrecy has long been a striking feature of the Bush administration, beginning with his fight to keep confidential the identities of the energy industry officials who advised his task force on national energy policy in 2001. Mr. Cheney took that dispute to the Supreme Court and won.

:D

But other officials familiar with Mr. Cheney’s view said that he and his legal adviser, David S. Addington do not believe the executive order applies to the vice president’s office because it has a legislative as well as an executive status in the Constitution.

I'm going to guess that their actual view on the matter is closer to this: "We know what we're claiming is wrong, but nobody's going to do anything about it, so we don't give a damn."

Archived