Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP article, New (Thurs) -- Trade not imminent, talks about draft, too

Skinsinparadise

In regards to trading up and getting CJ...I've had a hard time trying to figure out the FO's motives exactly. I know we need a possesion receiver to compliment the 'smurf' crew we currently have in place, but we do have talent and depth at that position. Then, after talking with my father tonight, something he said stuck with me a bit. "Gibbs is probably interested in re-creating the team he most recently had success with (91'). In Gibbs mind, CJ could very well be today's version of Art Monk, only faster!"

I thought about that for a while and came to the conclusion that my pops could have some insight there. CJ is a quiet leader who would help give the team a WR that could do things the others aren't capable of....on a regular basis. We already have a Gary Clark clone - Moss / Randle El could play the role of Sanders I guess / Lloyd.....well who knows what role he'll be playing with the team next year. :laugh:

Just a thought......

In regards to trading up and getting CJ...I've had a hard time trying to figure out the FO's motives exactly. I know we need a possesion receiver to compliment the 'smurf' crew we currently have in place, but we do have talent and depth at that position. Then, after talking with my father tonight, something he said stuck with me a bit. "Gibbs is probably interested in re-creating the team he most recently had success with (91'). In Gibbs mind, CJ could very well be today's version of Art Monk, only faster!"

I thought about that for a while and came to the conclusion that my pops could have some insight there. CJ is a quiet leader who would help give the team a WR that could do things the others aren't capable of....on a regular basis. We already have a Gary Clark clone - Moss / Randle El could play the role of Sanders I guess / Lloyd.....well who knows what role he'll be playing with the team next year. :laugh:

Just a thought......

That's precisely what's going to happen, hopefully.

Though right now I feel like I'm grasping for straws as a Skins fan.

I'm still recovering from that Briggs rumor. :laugh:

Sounds like if we move up and draft CJ, we would possibly be trading Lloyd away for a 2nd or 3rd round pick where we can address our D-line problem.

If you can find someone who will give us a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Lloyd can you let me know who they are? I have the Brooklyn Bridge up for sale ........

I'd LOVE to get Lloyd out of here for another pick. But, his contract probably is too high to get any serious takers.

I can't see how Lloyd can be in our plans for next season. Our top player, Portis, trashed him on the radio weeks ago and Lloyd did nothing last year. I also don't see us getting anything for him. Moving up for Johnson makes sense for two reasons; 1). He's the best player in this draft, 2). We have a hole at #2 WR and a young QB who could use a tall, solid option there.

Moving up to get Johnson would not be a bad move. Although, if we do this, we're going to have to rely on free agency or current players on our roster to step up and improve our defense. I don't know that we could get any defensive help through a trade.

If the Raiders pick up a QB, we are just S.O.L, unless the Raiders are willing to trade it to us, because if they stay at that pick, they're definetly picking CJ. And if that happens, there would be NO, and I mean NO reason for us to be looking at the Lions to trade up. Becaue the only reason we should be looking to trade up (and I dont 100% agree with this) would have to be for CJ. If it aint for CJ, we need to stay our azz put, or trade down.

the Raiders will want a verticle passer...a mad bomber. who's available now to fill that role? Carr?

If we trade picks with Oakland, it wouldn't surprise me to see Randel El be part of the deal. He would be a flashy player that Davis might want to team up with

his new QB he picks at number 6. We would need to offer him a good player along with some 08 draft picks in order to get CJ. Just speculation.:point2sky

If I had to take a stab at what they might do is this:

If they really want Calvin Johnson badly they will monitor whether the Raiders are poised to make a deal for him and then step in. Yeah they really have little to offer aside from next year picks, maybe this years 5th rounder. And per Peter King's thought (though I hate his trade proposal) maybe throw someone like Randle El, in. Yeah, I'd love to dump underachieving malcontent players like Lloyd -- but why would the Raiders want to take an overpaid & unproductive player with an attitude.

If not wait for draft day -- assume and hope the Raiders draft Russell. Then deal with the Lions -- they like Shawn Springs (hope they don't trade him) and maybe we can find another bargaining chip.

If neither sceanrio happens -- hope Quinn (unlikely) falls to #6 or Peterson (more likely) or perhaps some team desperately wants Landry and make a deal to trade down. Atlanta at #8 is apparently in love with Landry so maybe we deal with them. Otherwise, I suspect to trade down in the draft, we might have to trade WAY down because am sure teams see the same thing we do which is their is no bonafide studs from 6-10. If we are telling the world that's what we think, hard to imagine too many teams thinking too much differently.

Perhaps we deal with our favorite trading partner the Broncoes. And recall Gibbs per the article is raving about the 2nd round -- he might not care dropping all the way to the 20s in the first if he gets a 2nd rounder too and maybe another pick.

I wish they could elaborate more on what came out of the meeting with springs.

If they trade Springs in order to move up in order to land CJ they will need to get another starting-calibur CB somehow...entering the season with Smoot and Rogers as our starters without adressing the DL problems is suicide. The Skins would need to score 35 points a game!

This team is such a joke. To say anything else to the contrary would be to keep your head in the sand, as most of the homers on this board do.

What competitive team has 30-35 million in guaranteed money invested in a bunch of linebackers? If you throw in the two seconds, the six rounder for Macintosh, NOT TO MENTION the sixth overall pick, you could have had three starters on your defense at different spots on the field making plays, somebody up front to stop the run a playmaker in the middle and a guy in the secondary that could actually cover. Instead all we do is get mercenary after mercenary so the sycophants can buy more of those stupid jerseys that I see in the stands, the Archulateas, the Carters, the Portissssss.

This team is a complete joke to the other 31 other teams in the NFL who regard the Redskins as the proverbial drunken sailor, somebody you could get to buy all your junk at top dollar.

This statement sums up the Redskins, in talking about working out a contract between Briggs and the Redskins:

"We've just had a general conversation," Rosenhaus said. "I don't think we'd have any problem, though."

Do you think he says that about any other team? No, because he KNOWS that the Redskins don't have a negotiating tactic. Their idea is to just pay the most obscene top dollar right away, whatever it takes, to sign the guy. Drew knows that any time one of his high maintenance characters has a problem, all he has to do is talk to Danny Snyder, the ultimate jock sniffer, and a deal will get done.

They've been doing this now for SEVEN YEARS! Just curious, what's the record of the team during that stretch? How many Super Bowls have they won? How many NFC Championships do I see when I drive past Fedex Field on 495? Here's some ideas Danny:

1) Go away.

2) If you can't go away, then remove the worst excuse for a talent evaluator in Vinny Cerrato and get somebody who can do the job.

3) Stop spending all this ridiculous money on Running Backs and Linebackers and Safetys and get people at positions that matter, offensive and defensive lineman....oh and quarterbacks.

4) Fire Joe Gibbs, he's like your best friend now. Best friends in business don't usually turn out well.

I have held out from making any posts about CJ, until now. CJ is Art Monk on steriods. That man will be what Art Monk was and MORE for the Redskins. Hopefully the Skins can make a move for him and we can have visions of CJ dacing in our Endzones.

This team is such a joke. To say anything else to the contrary would be to keep your head in the sand, as most of the homers on this board do.

What competitive team has 30-35 million in guaranteed money invested in a bunch of linebackers? If you throw in the two seconds, the six rounder for Macintosh, NOT TO MENTION the sixth overall pick, you could have had three starters on your defense at different spots on the field making plays, somebody up front to stop the run a playmaker in the middle and a guy in the secondary that could actually cover. Instead all we do is get mercenary after mercenary so the sycophants can buy more of those stupid jerseys that I see in the stands, the Archulateas, the Carters, the Portissssss.

This team is a complete joke to the other 31 other teams in the NFL who regard the Redskins as the proverbial drunken sailor, somebody you could get to buy all your junk at top dollar.

This statement sums up the Redskins, in talking about working out a contract between Briggs and the Redskins:

"We've just had a general conversation," Rosenhaus said. "I don't think we'd have any problem, though."

Do you think he says that about any other team? No, because he KNOWS that the Redskins don't have a negotiating tactic. Their idea is to just pay the most obscene top dollar right away, whatever it takes, to sign the guy. Drew knows that any time one of his high maintenance characters has a problem, all he has to do is talk to Danny Snyder, the ultimate jock sniffer, and a deal will get done.

They've been doing this now for SEVEN YEARS! Just curious, what's the record of the team during that stretch? How many Super Bowls have they won? How many NFC Championships do I see when I drive past Fedex Field on 495? Here's some ideas Danny:

1) Go away.

2) If you can't go away, then remove the worst excuse for a talent evaluator in Vinny Cerrato and get somebody who can do the job.

3) Stop spending all this ridiculous money on Running Backs and Linebackers and Safetys and get people at positions that matter, offensive and defensive lineman....oh and quarterbacks.

4) Fire Joe Gibbs, he's like your best friend now. Best friends in business don't usually turn out well.

Great post. Here are two other options --

5) Joe turns off all the phones at Redskins park. This whole smokescreen thing is hilarious. It's like the retards (the Redskins FO) trying to outsmart the smart kids. Ain't gonna happen.

6) Danny slips a mil or two to a Ravens insider for access to Ozzie Newsome's player rankings. Vinny then just picks directly from that list.

Just to throw it out there....

Some of you may recall about a month back a story about Danny Snyder's infatuation with JaMarcus Russell and discussion of us trading up to get him. That was widely dismissed as "impossible."

Here we are a month later, and we have Gibbs dropping hints and talking about serious talks of trading up.

Just something to think about.

Damn, I'm good.

I toss this out there yesterday and today the news comes out we are sitting down with Russell.

What is so freakin hard about waiting for Quinn or Peterson to fall to your pick and executing a trade on draft day? Sheesh.

My favorite scenario remains trading back to Buffalo's #12, picking up a 2nd rounder and using both picks on players for the trenches.

I did not think about that scenrio, if we were to trade up in the draft that would give us a better ability to trade down to the mid first round and pick up a 2nd, any scenario that allows us to trade down to the mid 1st and pick up a 2nd round is win win in my book, we need two D lineman prospects at least in the draft since it loaded with them. But to trade up in the draft is going to cost us a 2008 draft pick right.... or maybe we can part with a player?? This is bucking futs...

Rosenhaus apparently is attempting to get other teams interested in Briggs as well. Briggs would have a salary of $7.2 million next season if he remains in Chicago as the franchise player. He wants a long-term deal with around $20 million in guaranteed money instead. He almost certainly would get it from the Redskins, although Rosenhaus said Wednesday he doesn't have a contract agreement with the Redskins in place yet.

I think that this is a very telling statment of what many "experts" think of the Redskins.

dont be surprised if the lions draft CJ and then trade him to us if Quinn is available at 6.

Well, that's good for giving a :finger: at Tampa Bay, but goodbye next years first round pick. Unless they need an extra WR for Quinn to throw to... like say... Brandon Lloyd? :D

i know :(

Archived