Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP article, New (Thurs) -- Trade not imminent, talks about draft, too

Skinsinparadise

Or, maybe because they are practicing in Arizona and he just wants to touch base.

Jason

Exactly! I mean wouldn't it be messed up for Gibbs to be in town, know that Lloyd and Springs are training nearby and not touch base with them. Its kinda early for Gibbs to be discussing trades with them. I think they would notify them of possible trades if they actually had a taker. Why piss off players that are currently on your roster and may have to work with in the upcoming season.

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 29, 2007; Page E01

Joe Gibbs:

"But the odds may be that it's better for us to move up because it's easier to do and we can do it."

EASIER? Either it's our only pick this year, or we're giving up a few next year. I can't see it either way. And if we did, it's for CJ not Russell. I do believe he (Gibbs) is gonna stop any notion of the Brigg's deal. It's NOT gonna happen.

If we get CJ I am officially the happiest man that has ever existed. We aren't going to the superbowl next year, so its technically a rebuilding year. How better to help out than with the greatest WR prospect in many, many years, if not all-time?

I second that one brother! CJ is 6'5 and runs a 4.3. This would cure all our problems with Secondary's bracketing Moss and forcing us to look at our No. 2 and No. 3 recievers. I mean to just have CJ on field will force secondarys to cut that crap out and force the corners into one-on-one situations. I like Moss one-on-one with anybody in the league. And mostly likely teams would continue to bracket Moss and force CJ to show what he could do and could force him into an amazing rookie year. Plus CJ would have to be the primary target in the Redzone....I can just see JC laying it up for CJ like they do for Plaxico for the NYG. I am excited. We can address our DL in the later rounds and even next year. And we can't forget about the emerging Golston and the project we have in the massive Armstrong. I honestly think they will be better with Fletcher already and Smoot coming in as a solid 3rd corner. I'm excited. I'll back up anything the FO does at this point. I just hope they stay away from the Briggs trade.

Gibbs said he met this week with cornerback Shawn Springs and wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, who are training nearby.

Ok, I know its the offseason but why arent they training at the facility and somewhere "nearby" ? Two of the more controversial Skins players as of late. (Springs with the restructure/ trade possabilities, and Lloyd... Well, his Redskins career has been as big a flop as his rap albums.) Why wouldnt they be at the facilities if they are nearby? :whoknows:

At first I really hated the idea of getting CJ because we really need DL but I'm kind of getting excited at the prospect of how lethal our Offense can be.

Plus, wouldn't it be great to just steal him away from Tampa Bay and ruin their plans. Serves them right for getting to play us three straight years in Tampa!:silly:

Yeah, interesting that its much easier to trade up then down, wonder what they offering considering Gibbs says he wants to keep all their picks for next year.

I don't really see how. What are our marketable assets that we could offer in a deal besides the 6 slot, particularly if we aren't trading '08 picks to move up? I don't see how it's possible unless we unload players we probably shouldn't unload.

This is the most telling quote of all.

The team is just underwhelmed by who they project to be available at No. 6. They do not want to be in a situation where they pick there and take a guy they have serious doubts about. I agree with Mister that we should sit tight until the draft to see what unfolds, but, if the team feels that way, it may be more serious about moving up than any of us thought possible.

Oh, and I repeat, I LOVE Mark Maske's JOURNALISM. Only his comment about Briggs being unhappy about his contract goes without direct attribution to someone but that's only because it is such a part of the public domain he doesn't have to. It's like I'm back in class again :).

I'm glad to see that the FO is thinking along the same lines as myself. As many have mentioned, this draft is VERY DEEP in qualidy defensive lineman, particularly ends. What it lacks is any kind of defensive lineman that looks like a sure thing. Add to that the fact that the top guys almost certainly wouldn't be effective working on the left and you can see why we'd be leery.

I imagine they'd prefer to move down, and lower the impact of the risk in taking a guy, they probably feel that guys like Moss, and Carricker, and even Johnson and the Moses might turn out every bit as good as guys like Adams and Anderson and I agree with them. Adams and Anderson did the best job during the college season, and the workouts, well, other than Carricker, but how many among us could really say that either of these guys could be an elite end at the next level? I really, really don't see it. I imagine they view Adams as a slightly more athletic version of Carter whose even more of a tweener, and probably view Anderson as a project who probably would top off at 7-9 sacks a season if he maximized his development. I could be dead wrong, but I understand it. This would have been a great draft to have had a first rounder in the top 15, and another one in the 25-30 area. Then you'd at least increase your chances and have a shot a real find. I do think as Art mentioned, Gibbs is saying that these ends all have issues in their game that make them a steep risk for that high of slot and SB/OB $$$, hence the interest in probably Charles Johnson and who knows maybe even Joe Thomas (I'm sure Bugel would LOVE to have him to groom as Jansen's replacement and the eventual heir apparent to Samuels), though the latter is probably wishful thinking.

I dont see us trading up the bucs are interested in CJ also and they have the ammo to move up and can offer a lot more picks

But im sure if we are talking to the raiders we can kep our first and get theirs just by throwing in brunell

Can you recall the last time the Redskins lost a bidding battle, because I sure as hell can't.

I don't really see how. What are our marketable assets that we could offer in a deal besides the 6 slot, particularly if we aren't trading '08 picks to move up? I don't see how it's possible unless we unload players we probably shouldn't unload.

We will trade 08 picks. They trade future picks every year.

Its easier to trade up to 1 or 2 because the Raiders really do not want Russle. The Lions do not want Calvin Johnson.

The 6th pick does not have much value to trade down. Peterson will not be at 6. Quinn will not likely be at 6. Russle no, CJ no. Those are the 4 guys that will cause a team to give up a second and third rounder.

The only hope is we wait and one of those 4 slips.

Include Lloyd in a deal?

Give me a break. Because of his contract and reputation, we'd be lucky to get a seventh rounder for him.

The offseason is a scary time for us Skins fans. I love Joe Gibbs as a coach. But I don't have a lot of faith in him as a front office guy. And the "help" he gets in Cerrato and Snyder... well it's like adding gasoline to a fire IMO.

And what is with all this talking to the media? "We're going to trade up, trade down, blah, blah, blah..." Good front offices don't engage in that nonsense. It's like we're trying to outsmart the rest of the league which is just hilarious considering our track recent track record.

as much as i would love a super bowl run next year it most likely isnt gonna happen. calvin johnson combined with sean taylor would erase my recent memory of the redskins draft woes. while i dont necessarily disagree that next year is a rebuilding year, i see it more as a waiting year because the salary cap will go up and we will have a full draft slate, minus the duckett pick and whatever we potentially use to move up to get calvin johnson. that said, if we sit at six... DRAFT LARON LANDRY!!!!!! also, keep your eye on the defensive end at miami calais campbell. i read on their team site on yahoo that he is close to 300lbs and if he keeps progressing the way he is, he is a lock for the first round next year in the draft.:2cents:

:helmet:

Calvin Johnson > Shawn Springs + Brandon Lloyd?

You can't compare college players to proven NFL talent.

But his value is certainly greater than those two players combined - if we traded both of those players for a pick high enough to draft him, it would be a steal.

Just to throw it out there....

Some of you may recall about a month back a story about Danny Snyder's infatuation with JaMarcus Russell and discussion of us trading up to get him. That was widely dismissed as "impossible."

Here we are a month later, and we have Gibbs dropping hints and talking about serious talks of trading up.

Just something to think about.

I WOULD BE PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We better not trade up for a dam QB. I dont even want to trade up for CJ. But I would be ok with it, because of his talent level. But Jarmarcus or any other QB??? HELL NO!!!! We would be back to square 1.

.......Now, if the Raiders pick up Carr or obtain Culpepper, then we could seriously look at the #2 spot with the Lions.

If the Raiders pick up a QB, we are just S.O.L, unless the Raiders are willing to trade it to us, because if they stay at that pick, they're definetly picking CJ. And if that happens, there would be NO, and I mean NO reason for us to be looking at the Lions to trade up. Becaue the only reason we should be looking to trade up (and I dont 100% agree with this) would have to be for CJ. If it aint for CJ, we need to stay our azz put, or trade down.

If we get CJ I am officially the happiest man that has ever existed. We aren't going to the superbowl next year, so its technically a rebuilding year. How better to help out than with the greatest WR prospect in many, many years, if not all-time?

Mannnn, whatever, I'd believe it when I see it. Its about Sunday afternoon, when they step on that field. CJ may be a beast, but he aint done it in the NFL YET.

I've got mixed feelings about CJ. WRs definitely aren't going to impact the team in the very short term. They've also had their share of busts.

But at the same time it's a bit exciting to see a possession wideout with that size to complement guys like Santana and Antwaan Randle El. Not to mention you've already got a dependable option with Cooley at tight end, perhaps Portis catching out of the backfield, Brandon Lloyd still on the team.

Could be a juggernaut of an offense.

Archived