Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP article, New (Thurs) -- Trade not imminent, talks about draft, too

Skinsinparadise

link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/28/AR2006082800465.html

The article starts with familiar info but then gets into other stuff

Gibbs Says Briggs Trade Is Not 'Imminent'

Moving Up in Draft a Consideration

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 29, 2007; Page E01

PHOENIX, March 28 -- Washington Redskins officials left the NFL's annual meeting still pondering a trade for Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs. Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs said Wednesday he expected the teams to spend the coming days and perhaps weeks evaluating the proposed deal.

But Gibbs said the Redskins also were considering other possibilities after having trade discussions with two teams here this week about moving up in the first-round selection order in next month's draft.

Gibbs said the proposed trade with the Bears was not imminent. But members of the organization were having internal conversations about the prospect of obtaining Briggs and Redskins officials remained in regular contact with Briggs's agent, Drew Rosenhaus. The Redskins likely would trade their first-round pick, the sixth overall choice in the draft, to the Bears for Briggs and the 31st overall selection. In addition, league sources said that the Bears would contemplate the Redskins' offer at least through the weekend.

"Obviously we discussed some things there," Gibbs said at the Arizona Biltmore resort on the final day of the three-day meeting. "But I think both teams would have to sit back and take a long, hard look at it and say, 'Does it really fit?' It's one thing to have a conversation and throw something out there, but it's another thing to actually get down to, 'Are you willing to do it?' . . . Obviously I don't think it's anything that's imminent. I think everybody's got to keep talking about it and say, 'Does it work?' "

Rosenhaus said Tuesday that the Redskins had proposed the trade to the Bears. Briggs is unhappy with his contract situation and has vowed never to play for the Bears again. Rosenhaus said this week that Briggs likely would sit out the first 10 games of the season if he remains with the Bears. The Bears placed their franchise player tag on Briggs to limit his mobility on the free agent market and Coach Lovie Smith said Wednesday he doesn't expect Briggs to be traded.

"We franchised Lance," Smith said. "He's one of our players. That's all there is."

Asked if he expects Briggs to be with the Bears next season, Smith said: "Yes, I do."

Rosenhaus apparently is attempting to get other teams interested in Briggs as well. Briggs would have a salary of $7.2 million next season if he remains in Chicago as the franchise player. He wants a long-term deal with around $20 million in guaranteed money instead. He almost certainly would get it from the Redskins, although Rosenhaus said Wednesday he doesn't have a contract agreement with the Redskins in place yet.

"We've just had a general conversation," Rosenhaus said. "I don't think we'd have any problem, though."

Gibbs acknowledged the Redskins will have to factor in that they have two highly paid linebackers in Marcus Washington and recent free agent addition London Fletcher, and used a second-round draft choice last year on linebacker Rocky McIntosh.

Gibbs did not identify the other teams with which the Redskins discussed possible trades. The Detroit Lions, who have the second overall pick, are thought to be eager to trade down in the draft order. The other teams who draft ahead of the Redskins are the Oakland Raiders, who have the No. 1 selection, the Cleveland Browns (third), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (fourth) and the Arizona Cardinals (fifth).

"Here we've had three major discussions with people," Gibbs said. "Two are moving up. Then we had one serious discussion about moving back. Then that one [the talks with the Bears regarding Briggs] got thrown in there . . . but everybody jumped on that. I think probably everyone here is having discussions about doing something. Everybody is trying to figure out what they want."

Trading up would be difficult for the Redskins, given their dearth of other selections in this year's draft. Gibbs said the club would like to retain all of next year's draft choices, which would further limit the immediate options. Even so, Gibbs said a trade up in the draft order to get a top player would be wise if the Redskins thought the player they would get by staying put had significant flaws. He said the team was targeting "a couple" players if it were to trade up. He didn't identify them, but spoke glowingly of Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

"You certainly wouldn't want to be sitting there and feel like you paid all that money and took a shot at something you really, really feel like may have a hole in it," Gibbs said. "You don't want that. . . . Our preference would be probably to move back. But the odds may be that it's better for us to move up because it's easier to do and we can do it."

Gibbs also indicated that while he expects Clinton Portis to remain the starter at tailback next season, the workload probably will be divided more evenly between Portis and Ladell Betts. Betts thrived as the primary ballcarrier in the late stages of the season with Portis hurt, and re-signed before becoming a free agent.

"I think the load will probably be a little bit more balanced between the two," Gibbs said. "They really like each other, which is good. Clinton loves football, is one of the smarter football guys I've been around. He understands. He wants to win. He'll come right out of there and tell Ladell, 'Hey, get in there.' A lot of times it will kind of be in his hands but certainly down the stretch I don't know if anyone played much better than Ladell did."

Gibbs said he met this week with cornerback Shawn Springs and wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, who are training nearby.

It's in our best interest to hold onto the pick until draft day. In the meantime, we should (and it sounds like we are) explore every avenue: trading up, trading down, and drafting someone with the pick. And while we're doing it, we should spread as many rumors as possible just in case some team behind us panics and offers us something big for the #6.

Just to throw it out there....

Some of you may recall about a month back a story about Danny Snyder's infatuation with JaMarcus Russell and discussion of us trading up to get him. That was widely dismissed as "impossible."

Here we are a month later, and we have Gibbs dropping hints and talking about serious talks of trading up.

Just something to think about.

Just to throw it out there....

Some of you may recall about a month back a story about Danny Snyder's infatuation with JaMarcus Russell and discussion of us trading up to get him. That was widely dismissed as "impossible."

Here we are a month later, and we have Gibbs dropping hints and talking about serious talks of trading up.

Just something to think about.

LMAOO. You thought about that too huh. The way he said a couple of players scared the hell out of me. The only players going at the top of the draft are Russle and Johnson according to reports.

"You certainly wouldn't want to be sitting there and feel like you paid all that money and took a shot at something you really, really feel like may have a hole in it," Gibbs said. "You don't want that. . . . Our preference would be probably to move back. But the odds may be that it's better for us to move up because it's easier to do and we can do it."

This is the most telling quote of all.

The team is just underwhelmed by who they project to be available at No. 6. They do not want to be in a situation where they pick there and take a guy they have serious doubts about. I agree with Mister that we should sit tight until the draft to see what unfolds, but, if the team feels that way, it may be more serious about moving up than any of us thought possible.

Oh, and I repeat, I LOVE Mark Maske's JOURNALISM. Only his comment about Briggs being unhappy about his contract goes without direct attribution to someone but that's only because it is such a part of the public domain he doesn't have to. It's like I'm back in class again :).

LMAOO. You thought about that too huh. The way he said a couple of players scared the hell out of me. The only players going at the top of the draft are Russle and Johnson according to reports.

Possibly, or it could mean they feel Gaines Adams is the top pick amongst the linemen candidates and that Arizona will snatch him up before Washington has a shot. Then again, it could all mean nothing at all....

Or, maybe because they are practicing in Arizona and he just wants to touch base.

Jason

Well if they are trying to trade up and Gibbs seems to think it will be easier i sure hope it is not for Russle.

And if they get CJ , Lloyd will be the odd man out. Unless they trade Randel El in a package :silly:

I think Lloyd is better than Randel El as a pure WR.

With the Raiders holding the key...Jemarcus or Calvin, it doesn't surprise me that the trigger hasn't been pulled on moving up yet. Now, if the Raiders pick up Carr or obtain Culpepper, then we could seriously look at the #2 spot with the Lions.

I say the Redskins hold off...use the #6 to trade up or stand pat...and if the Briggs situation gets worse in Chicago, they could get him cheaper...ie player for player or next years picks.

With the Raiders holding the key...Jemarcus or Calvin, it doesn't surprise me that the trigger hasn't been pulled on moving up yet. Now, if the Raiders pick up Carr or obtain Culpepper, then we could seriously look at the #2 spot with the Lions.

I say the Redskins hold off...use the #6 to trade up or stand pat...and if the Briggs situation gets worse in Chicago, they could get him cheaper...ie player for player or next years picks.

Which might also explain putting the Briggs deal on the back burner until draft day. If you can move up to take CJ they may do it, if they can't they may deal for Briggs and drop down.

I guess thats why Gibbs is talking to two teams( Lions and Raiders) about trading up.

( i hope)

What could we offer to move up? A player to be named and a 6th? I dont get it. This years first and next years first?

That's what I was wondering. It'd almost assuredly be a pick form next year, but I wonder if we'd have to give up our first. That sounds like a raw deal to move up 3-4 picks, even early in the draft. A second I would be OK with. Maybe a second and a 4th?

If we get CJ I am officially the happiest man that has ever existed. We aren't going to the superbowl next year, so its technically a rebuilding year. How better to help out than with the greatest WR prospect in many, many years, if not all-time?

Archived