Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

I've said many times before in this thread.  My personal preference is to:

1.  Go with white jerseys and burgundy pants on the road.

2.  Go with burgundy jerseys and gold pants at home.

3.  Have an alternate 3rd throwback. (70th anny look or similar or 50s look as I think they may be doing that this year)

With that said, I would like to see the burgundy color stop being so "shiny" or "red" looking. I'd prefer a darker shade.  Along with the gold pants, I would like to get away from it looking "yellowish" and more like a brown mustard type look. 

Then the last thing: FIX the piping.  Make sure the stripes on the jersey sleeves match the pants and socks. Actually, my preference is to put the numbers on the shoulders, ditch the stripes on the sleeves and replace with the arrow.  Similar to the 70th throwbacks. I was always keen to them and have a Darrell Green 70th that I love.

I don't like a matte look for helmets.  Some look good, others, not.  But I don't want ours to look "metal flake" either.  Just plain burgundy paint.

OK, so whats your opinion of the unis on your profile pic?

To me, THAT is the uniform of uniforms; thats the one i'd like to see as the main one, and if they wanna mix in any other styles as alternates or roadies, fine, but that particular

look, is the look,

jersey's jammin',

pants are slammin',

c'mon now Skins,

lets get to rammin'...

My Prince tribute   :D  

I wonder if any other fanbases have a thread contributed just to the discussion of their uniforms Seems like it's just us.

That's because on those other sites they have multiple threads devoted to discussion of their uniforms.  Here, the mod staff is smart enough to consolidate it into one thread.

As for the pants discussion, I do want them to bring the burgundy pants back, but I don't want them to get rid of the gold. It's the white pants that have to go; I've never liked them even back in the 80's. Just seemed so bland underneath the burgundy tops.  I'd prefer these combinations:

Home: Burgundy tops, gold pants

Away: White tops, burgundy pants

Special Occasions: Current throwbacks

Also, I'd like for them to add the striping back to the burgundy pants, and then add the corresponding striping to the gold pants.  (i.e. the stripes are white and gold on the burgundy pants, and should be burgundy and white on the gold pants). Then, make sure that the number of stripes on the tops' sleeves match the number of stripes on the pants, and also the tops should match in number as well. Finally, make sure the shade of burgundy on the tops and pants match the shade on the helmets. Either lighten the helmets or darken the tops and pants to make them match.  I think this would go a long way towards making the current helmets look better with the throwbacks.

One final thought: no more white on gold.  It just doesn't work for us since the gold (and it is gold, not yellow) is too bright against the white and it just washes out. 

Of course, I expect exactly none of these (or any of our) suggestions to be taken, since the Director of Pants and Picnics seems to be completely content with the current status quo.

Most sports team message boards leave no stone unturned in terms of discussion.

We really haven't largely changed our uniforms in like 30 something years.

Imagine the boards where teams switch uniforms seemingly every 8-10 years

I'm still curious about what Bruce meant when he said they're doing something special with the uniforms this year...

I think if it was an actual uniform change we'd have known long ago. So it's likely something of little significance.

I'm still curious about what Bruce meant when he said they're doing something special with the uniforms this year...

Rumor has it that Bruce never liked the name ' groin ', so after many sleepless nights, and a few bottles of gin,  he has recommended to the staff they sew a picture of him over the crotch area on every pair of pants, so when a player has an injury there, it will be known as a " Bruce Pull ".

He is hoping it will catch on and become a league-wide norm. It also explains his bias towards gold pants, being he has made comments that he looks good in gold.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I like the burgundy pants, but a burgundy top as well? Thats a little too much. 

It would be great IMO if we went back to the 80's white top with the burgundy & gold striping and burgundy pants, hec even tweak the top a little bit, mess around with the striping a little, and the reverse for road games, and use the current jersey combo with throwback weeks only. 

I'm no good at posting pics, I need to learn, but sorry the gold-ish color pants  look outdated by 50 years; it just doesn't register with me as the uniform of one of the greatest sports franchises in the world. 

One day it will happen; eventually they will go back to the white over burgundy 80's look, and I will be a happy camper.

0ee1aaf6faa73462060f034ea5d29e17.jpg

c28da21fac89e39341352be75ab74833.jpg

259102_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

0375226001454353251_filepicker.jpg

Edited by SkinsGuy

I know I've said it a few times in this thread already, but now that we have a nice set of pictures nearby my explanation will make more sense.  I know that, in addition to misery, the idea of "going back" to the 80s era unis always sounds good to me, but then I also remember that we had that combination in the 90s and 2000s and they even then still didn't feel right.

The main visual reason why our jerseys never translated to those 90s/2000/ and contemporary "fitting" uniforms is because there is no longer the amount of space necessary to include those thick double stripes on the sleeves anymore.  Which is what "makes" those 80s unis to me. One reason is of course they are so thick that there's almost nothing you can do to prevent shrinking them which is at odds with the double striped pants and socks, the other key part of that look, but the other thing is we are one of only 2 old teams (the raiders) that still keeps their jersey numbers on the sides of our sleeves instead of on top of the shoulders, like every other team that used to have their numbers on the sides pre 90s.  So, we end up with cramped microscopic sleeve striping totally at odds with the rest of our 80s unis.

That's why, these current patchwork unis to me are better in actuality, while I totally long for the "theory" of the 80s unis myself.

And actually, I truly love our burgundy helmet, white shirt, gold pants combination.  I feel like it looks clean and has a great balance of our team colors.  The other major thing is, a white shirt doesn't require as much reliance on striping as a burgundy shirt does without looking like "too much" burgundy, making all the striping issues more pronounced with that current color combination. 

• Like 1

1) We need to modernize our uniforms. We can do this without having an abomination like Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. Seriously, just keep the same basic design and streamline it a bit, matching up the stripes and stuff. There was a picture on here a few years ago of Rex Grossman with a modernized uniform that looked pretty good.

I'd be willing to go full Seahawks too just in our colors. Think their unis are incredible.

2) I can't stand the throwbacks. We could have burgundy pants if it wasn't for those god awful mud bowl things. Ditch these ASAP please.

3) if no uniform changes are some we should just have white, gold and burgundy pants and just randomly alternate the 3 of them with our white and burgundy jerseys. So some games it's B/B, others it's W/B, then W/W, then W/G, B/G. We'd have a lot of options to mix and match and keep things fresh

A little off topic but I really wish cousins would go back to 12 now that roberts is gone. Just looks better to me

He was always 8 even in college. He only started with 12 here because Grossman was already #8 when Cousins was drafted. The single digit looks good on a QB to me.

Or anyone really, partly why I prefer college uniforms, the increase in single digit numbers for HBs and WRs

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

That's terrible though. Something Maryland would wear. Those are Chiefs colors. The helmet could be cool maybe.

Think this is more in line what what we would be looking at.

redskins-nike-uniform-concept.jpg

Also this is the modern update I was referring to earlier. Nothing drastic or crazy just a little fresher. Still don't care for the pant stripes much but it definitely looks better with 2 thin stripes than the current fat stripes

skinsuniredesign.jpg

I might even just throw the script R on the helmet instead of the NA and call it a day. Redskins because of the jerseys not because of NA imagery or anything that would be controversial

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

I actually like 8 on Kirk... 12 reminds me too much of the other top QBs right this second, Rodgers and Brady both use it and based on what I've seen quickly it looks like it's a number historically used because of Bradshaw, Staubach, and Griese, during the Steelers, Cowboys, and Dolphins SB eras.  

So, unless Kirk truly liked the number 12, I'd rather have him use 8, or, the number he would rather have based on what I've seen him say since the change.