Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

True Personal Ghost Stories

Zguy28

i don't know if anyone has addressed this yet, but this sounds like a case of sleep paralysis. your brain paralyzes you when you enter REM sleep, to prevent you from moving around and hurting yourself (sleepwalking.) sometimes you will awake while still under this brain-induced paralysis. you can move your eyes, but you can't phisically get up. this is usually acompanied by a feeling of a presence in the room, with shadows appearing to be silhouetted figures. sleep paralysis is the leading cause of alien abduction stories.

Yet, it is just a theory, that has never been proven nor duplicated in thousands of trials and sleep tests. I'm not saying that it can't happen or that it doesn't, but to dismiss abduction stories because of an unproven theory seems irresponsible. I'm not saying that I believe in alien abduction, but there have been a lot of things that have happened that cannot be explained, and many that have nothing to do with people being remotely asleep. I just try to keep an open mind about these things.

Back to the topic:

My wife's grandmother, who lives in Indiana, lost her husband about 15 years ago. She still has the same old VCR that they bought before he died. It is one of those old ones that has all of the buttons and spindle to set the time and set up recordings. Anyway, my wife's grandmother never knew how to work the thing, and still doesn't today.

Shortly after her husband died, they had a storm and she lost power. When the power came back on, the clock on the VCR was just blinking "12:00." She called my wife's uncle and asked him if he could come over and reset it for her, and he said he would on is way home from work the next day.

When she woke up the next morning, she found that the clock was correctly set. When Mark, my wife's uncle, came over that evening, he couldn't believe it. And, the clock has been reset every morning after a power outage for the past 15 years. And, incase someone was thinking it, she has lived alone since her husband's death.

But, the most amazing (or freaky) thing about it is that after awhile, my wife's grandmother, who is not in the least bit scarred about this because she believes it is her husband doing this, started about 12 years or so ago just saying outloud in the family room stuff like, "I really want to see this show tonight that is on at 7:00, but I won't be home," and the VCR will automatically record the show for her while she is gone. All she does is put in a tape, and when she comes back, it has been recorded.

She has actually contacted different show about this, like Ripley's Believe it or Not, but I haven't heard of anyone covering it yet.

this really isnt a ghost story, but it was freaky none the less. when i was a wee boy in the boy scouts at summer camp (not ghoshen...) i had trouble sleeping, dont know why, but aparently my body was so sleep deprived that it actually shut itself down while i was still aware of my suroundings. imagine one really big mess on the lake. we were out canoing (sp?) and i basically start to drift off and halucinate whilst i remain aware of everything around me. i dont really remember what i halucinated but i definatly remember gaining full awareness under water and being pulled back into the boat. it was really wierd and as you guessed, not about ghosts

Great thread, shame that I almost missed it. Thanks Rince for the heads up. :)

I have had (never was diagnosed by a doctor) sleep paralysis. It was quite an amount of years ago, possibly 5-6. Basically, I was laying on my back and was unable to move besides my eyes and not much of my head. I was starting to panic and was forcing myself to move but couldn't. I did not see any ghosts or aliens but, the room didn't seem the same. Finally, I was able to move my arms followed by my legs. I just jumped up in a cold sweat. Freaked me the **** out because no sooner that I layed back down it hapened again and continued to do so 3 more times. I wouldn't go to sleep again until the day after and even so I did not sleep much. This happened everyday for about a month. Ironically, this has happened to my older sister as well as my mother. Same house, same problem, just at different times. :paranoid:

As for a ghost story:

My Uncle Frank passed away from lymphoma. Well, to be correct, he passed from pnemunia due to his weakened immune system from the Chemo on Janurary 20th. Great guy and incredible family man and musican. Back to the mini-story though. Fast forward a couple days to the viewing. My whole family was sitting in the living room, sharing stories and jokes that he has shared with us. Just thinking good thoughts before we met up with the rest of the family for the viewing. Anyway, the phone rings and we are so in depth with the convo that we do not answer it. It rings again before we decided to finally answer it. No one was on the other end. We then continue to share stories when we hear a hard knock on the window of the living room. We all jump and look outside but, no one was there. Atleast not in a physical form. We look at the clock and it was indeed time to leave for the viewing. Me thinks my Uncle was making sure we noticed the time and that we were not going to be late. :)

Another story:

My Aunts old house was indeed 'haunted'. It all started with her reoccuring dreams of a lil boy named 'Robby' and in the dreams he was trying to tell her what happened to him. When she wakes up, whatever he was telling her via a dream that object appeared in the place that he said. For example, one dream he was telling her how a stool was blocking the basement door( the back of the stool was propped under the door knob making it hard to open). She wakes up and don't you know there was a stool under the door knob. The same went for matches by the stove and water running in the basement and so on. Freaking her out basically and rightfully so because she had her 5 kids living with her. '6' if you count 'Robby'. To make a short story even shorter. My family went over her house to witness the 'ghost'. In the basement, it seemed like the strongest presence. My cousin used to feed 'Robby" bolonga under the door and play ball with him. If you threw the ball to a certain part of the basement, the ball would bounce back. Funny thing is, it stops in mid air before it bounces back. :paranoid: That house was definitely haunted.

Can I ask just one question? All of you guys are telling stories (well, not all, but some) about crazy stuff that happens in the house on multiple occasions. Okay, I see some predator looking thing in the air, I'm moving out. I get splashed with water? I'm moving out. I see doors slamming? I'm moving out. Alarm clocks blaring? I'm moving out. Not the next morning, not the following week, that evening. Pack it up! This place has got f'ing ghosts.
Couldn't agree more. A distortion in the air that looks like the Predator invisible? Forget that, time to leave. I couldn't deal with anything like that, I'd rather live in a hotel while looking for a new place to live than put up with that kind of stuff.

I've never had anything happen to me directly, just friends and family, and none of them are anything really creepy or mind-blowing, but here it goes:

1- My family used to have this nice little old lady named Lillian come by and dust our house and do some other house keeping stuff once a week for a pretty long time when I was really little, and when I was about 7 or so she died. In the basement there was what we called the "toy room," basically this small room full of board games, old NES boxes, bins of Legos/action figures/etc., with a small closet in the corner that led under the stairs to some piping. The day she died, my brother and my mom were in the toy room cleaning some stuff out, when they noticed a light on in the little closet, which would be weird since there were tons of boxes and other random junk stacked up against it. After moving it all out and opening the door, they saw the lightbulb on the chain had been turned on, and a few hours later got a phone call about Lillian passing away. Just odd, odd timing.

2- One of my best friends goes to William & Mary and he told me this story a couple days ago in fact. Apparently they have a rule in Williamsburg about leaving lights on and shutters up at night time- it's supposed to be dark and everything's supposed to be closed up come nightfall. My buddy and a couple of his friends decide to have a few drinks one night and take a walk through the town near their dorm, and end up on this dirt road with a bunch of super old houses. At the end of the road is a former prison/hanging gallery, and they took a peek in but were too scared to do anything else since it was pitch black out and there are enough stories of ghosts around town to be scared of a place like that. So on the way back they pass a small house that almost looks abandonded where a window has the shutters all the way up and 3 candles lit in a row inside, which is strange due to the aforementioned rule. As they stand there and look at it, all 3 candles go out at the same time, and they all pretty much flip out and just go on a brisk walk back towards their dorm.

3- My mom used to live in this tiny little house in Iowa when she was born, and her mom had this old vase that her mother gave her before she died. Whenever my grandmother would clean the room the vase was in and move it somewhere to dust it, she'd leave for a bit to go clean other places, and when she came back to the room the vase would be exactly back in its original spot, even when nobody else was home. My current next door neighbor has a similiar story about his girlfriend in high school's family inherited their house from her dad's parents, and also recieved this massive old wooden chest built by her grandfather that required at least 3 strong guys to carry, and one day they got some help and moved it out to the attic of their barn where they were turning it into a kind of workshop. The family left for the day, and when they got back, found the old chest back in it's lifelong spot in the house, all the way back in the bedroom. They obviously decided to never move it again.

Not great stories I know, but the best I've heard from firsthand accounts from people I know.

I used to run a comic book shop in Glen Burnie back in the 80s called Galactic Enterprises. I was located right in the middle of town in the (reputedly) oldest building in town. No reason to doubt it, it was pretty old.

It had two floors, and a dirt walled basement. we never went on the second floor and kept it blocked off.. it just wasn't structurally safe,, the floor was very old. we heard PLENTY of noises up there at night. Footsteps, running, laughter even. It was wierd,,it was like you heard it right behind your ear, but it wasn't right behind your ear.

there were plenty of stories by plenty of people who had spent time in the store.. we even had a psychic chick that we knew thru the good folks down at Dragon Moon Tattoo come in and walk around. When she went into the basement, she said that she felt really strong vibes, especially coming from this hole, literally a hole in one wall that went back about 7 feet or so, and was probably 4 feet wide. She said she felt it was a small boy.

The worst experience I ever had with it was one Friday night when I was working alone after hours down in the basement. It was dry down there, so that is where we kept our backstock. So I'm down there stocking up from the comics sold during the day,,, everyone else was at the bar next door. (Pauls Pub at the time).. I had locked the door behind them and gone down into the basement.. there was a trap door in the floor that led below, thing weighed about 60 pounds. Heavy heavy oak door.

So I'm down there and I hear these footsteps up in the store, and i hear the door open.

well ,i know i locked it, and I know no one was in there, and i heard the door open after i heard footsteps, and i heard no lock turn.

So I figured I'd better make sure someone wasn't in robbing the place, and headed for the steps,, as my head poked above floor level, the door slammed down. I barely got down before it hit me, but I pushed immediately back up and thru the door, and no one, nothing. Door still locked. I go to the bar and asked if anyone had been over, and no one had.

After that I didn't work down in the basement after hours without someone else in the store.

~Bang

• 1 year later...
My turn.

I agreed to feed the cats of a friend of my mothers while she was out of town. Easy money is what I was thinking. Slide through there once a night for a week is cake. So I’m over there at this pretty big house in Mclean opening cat food tins when I hear a door open. Immediately I’m thinking “please tell me this place isn’t getting robbed while I’m here feeding these stupid cats!”

I have a quick look around and everything looks normal. As I’m looking into one of the rooms the alarm clock radio goes off. I go to turn it off and the door closes behind me… then opens again as I watch it and slams shut one more time. Thoughts of bad guys now fully replaced with ghost stories I move to leave but I don’t want to go near the door either so I’m just frozen for a second or two. When I get into the hallway all the doors in the hallway are opening and closing, the alarm clock is playing again, the phones are ringing, and TVs are turning on and off.

I’m in full panic and take off. House goes quiet as can be once I get outside. I made people come with me the next day but nothing ever happened. I did make a point of getting in and out of there in a hurry though. Anyway I tell her about it when she gets back from vacation and she tells me that what I was saying is why she gave up hiring house sitters stay there several of them got spooked and took off. She had never seen anything and attributed it all to it just being a kind of creepy dark house scaring people unfamiliar with it. One person even had the police out because she heard people talking while trying to sleep.

holy crap! I would have dropped a chalupa right there on the floor

I'm with herrmag and Spartacus...weird **** with no explanation happening and I'm gone.

I've seen some strange stuff over the years(especially in the swamp),but nothing I'm willing to share...I also don't go there at night any longer.

I'm with herrmag and Spartacus...weird **** with no explanation happening and I'm gone.

I've seen some strange stuff over the years(especially in the swamp),but nothing I'm willing to share...I also don't go there at night any longer.

foul! foul!!!!

sorry... you must share.

Copied from another thread:

In 1994 I was staying in a dorm with some girls at Indiana State University in Pennsylvania for a weekend. I slept on a pullout couch in their living room. Throughout the night, I kept waking up to semi-conciousness, sort of unable to move but aware of where I was. Every time this happened, I'd look to the mantle above their fireplace and I would see a man in a mirror up there. The mirror was not reflecting me. This person was wearing a sort of "colonial" shirt or coat and he was fully-bearded and looked ill. I kept falling back asleep and finally slept until morning. When I awoke, I chalked it all up to being in a half-dream state the whole night. I even forgot about it while showering and making coffee.

During breakfast, the girls were talking about how they get spooked a lot in that dorm and they told a story about how sometimes when they are walking back from class, they look up into their dorm window to see a man looking back at them. I dropped my fork on the kitchen floor and asked, "A pale man with long hair and a long dark beard?" These girls went stone white and replied, "Yes." I told them I had just spent the entire night staring at the guy. They both started crying and I was completely stunned.

Being so far removed from the event now, I can't really say what happened that night or if it was all just a coincidence. Very strange though.

I've had several "encounters" but I'll share one that I haven't posted on ES yet.

While at the very lowest point of being blindsided with my divorce, not having a place to live, and not seeing my kids, I was staying in a cheap hotel one night.

I was talking to one of my favorite ES posters on the phone, and had been for about half an hour.

When it came time to say goodbye, she said, "Jason, do you mind if I say prayer with you first?"

I said, "I'd be honored if you would."

So she begins a beautiful, spontaneous prayer for protection and guidance and wisdom, that was simply amazing. As I listened to her words, I felt this incredible sense of calm and peace.

And then, I felt this firm, but comforting hand on my shoulder. At the same time, I got the most vivid vision of my grandfather I had had since his passing in 1979. He was nodding his head very subtly and slowly, as if to say, "I understand. I'm here. And it's going to be OK."

My dear friend finished her prayer, my granddad left, and I slept better than I ever thought was possible.

3 items:

1. I was a kid, it was the night that Moseley missed a long FG and the Skins lost to the Packers, 48-47 or something like that. I fell asleep on the sofa, and I woke up and saw a small, hazy light hovering in the room, and then disappear. I didn't feel any fear though.

2. In the Mitchellville area, the theme park Six Flags has also gone by the name Adventure World, and Wild World before that. One of the big attractions in the water park is the huge wave pool. There have been drownings over the years. Well, one summer I worked as a retail store manager there, and it is widely known and accepted that the park is haunted. Particularly, there are numerous accounts of the ghost of a young girl, who drowned in the wave pool. She wanders around the park. I heard her once when I had to do a sweep of the park at closing. Freaked me out.

3. I used to live with my aunt & uncle, and my aunt had a Ouija board. We played with it down in her basement. A candle was lit, and her cat joined us. I thought the Ouija thing was kind of corny, but I played along. We communicated with my deceased grandfather, and I chalked it up to my aunt's subconscious wanting to talk with her father. Well, all of a sudden we both feel a chilling breeze, but there are no windows open and the AC is not on. The spirit of a dead Native American is speaking with us, and where she lived all the streets were named after various tribes. The cat started purring, got up, walked over to the middle of the room, and started arching his back and walking in circles as if someone was petting him. He stopped, and started growling. Then, he hightails it up the stairs. The candle blows out, the chill in the air returns, and we both hauled ass upstairs. I threw away the Ouija board, and I haven't touched one since.

2. In the Mitchellville area, the theme park Six Flags has also gone by the name Adventure World, and Wild World before that. One of the big attractions in the water park is the huge wave pool. There have been drownings over the years. Well, one summer I worked as a retail store manager there, and it is widely known and accepted that the park is haunted. Particularly, there are numerous accounts of the ghost of a young girl, who drowned in the wave pool. She wanders around the park. I heard her once when I had to do a sweep of the park at closing. Freaked me out.

What's the deal with the house on the hill behind the Wild One? Something about Eleanor hanging herself or something?

This is one of the best threads I've ever read. I have literally got chills a handful of times after reading some of these encounters. H_H's, and the one about the boy named Robbie in the house. So many eerie encounters.

I've only had one, and it's not necesarily a ghost story, but very very odd...

When I was younger, probably about 7 or 8, I must have had a dream that my Uncle Frank died, because I was under the impression that he was deceased. The day after my dream, I went into the kitchen where my mom was, and asked "when is Frank's funeral?" She looked at me with a puzzled look, and said "What are you talking about! Frank's not dead!" The next day, we got a phone call from my aunt, who informed us that Uncle Frank died.

I didn't really think much of it for some reason when I was smaller, but thinking about it, I get chills, and it scares me a little.

This is one of the best threads I've ever read. I have literally got chills a handful of times after reading some of these encounters. H_H's, and the one about the boy named Robbie in the house. So many eerie encounters.

I've only had one, and it's not necesarily a ghost story, but very very odd...

When I was younger, probably about 7 or 8, I must have had a dream that my Uncle Frank died, because I was under the impression that he was deceased. The day after my dream, I went into the kitchen where my mom was, and asked "when is Frank's funeral?" She looked at me with a puzzled look, and said "What are you talking about! Frank's not dead!" The next day, we got a phone call from my aunt, who informed us that Uncle Frank died.

I didn't really think much of it for some reason when I was smaller, but thinking about it, I get chills, and it scares me a little.

I get sleep paralysis - it can be some scary ****. I half wake-up and, physically, my body WILL NOT respond. Sucks big time.

Only ghost I've ever seen was driving home one night in my hometown (Vineland, NJ). It was a little foggy and I drove by this horse farm - standing on the side of the road was a black woman dressed civil-war era 'mammy' clothing holding a baby. I caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye and turned in time to see her. When I looked in the rear-view mirror she was gone.

Side note - 'Sympathy for the Devil' was playing on the radio at the time.

And the car reeked of reefer

I get sleep paralysis - it can be some scary ****. I half wake-up and, physically, my body WILL NOT respond. Sucks big time.

Only ghost I've ever seen was driving home one night in my hometown (Vineland, NJ). It was a little foggy and I drove by this horse farm - standing on the side of the road was a black woman dressed civil-war era 'mammy' clothing holding a baby. I caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye and turned in time to see her. When I looked in the rear-view mirror she was gone.

Side note - 'Sympathy for the Devil' was playing on the radio at the time.

And the car reeked of reefer

My Mom, Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle all had a visit by the Ghost of my Great-Grandma.

They were all sitting around the House listening to the Radio. When the front door opened up. Well, my Grandma thought it was the wind and just got up and shut it. So, she went back to listening to the radio, when it opened again. My Grandma got up and latched the door this time, and said "HUH!!! LET ME SEE YOU OPEN NOW!!! When she said that. All three doors opened including the one she latched. Grandma told my Uncle to shut the doors, but before he could make three steps, all three doors slammed like somebody was angry. My Grandpa said "That's Ma, She doesn't like that radio in the House (she thought radios was from the Devil when she was alive) I'll get rid of it tomorrow. So, they all went to Bed. The next morning when my Grandpa got up to take the radio off, the front door was wide open. My Mom said she had radios in other houses with no problems. She said my Great-Grandma just didn't want one in her house.

My Mom, Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle all had a visit by the Ghost of my Great-Grandma.

They were all sitting around the House listening to the Radio. When the front door opened up. Well, my Grandma thought it was the wind and just got up and shut it. So, she went back to listening to the radio, when it opened again. My Grandma got up and latched the door this time, and said "HUH!!! LET ME SEE YOU OPEN NOW!!! When she said that. All three doors opened including the one she latched. Grandma told my Uncle to shut the doors, but before he could make three steps, all three doors slammed like somebody was angry. My Grandpa said "That's Ma, She doesn't like that radio in the House (she thought radios was from the Devil when she was alive) I'll get rid of it tomorrow. So, they all went to Bed. The next morning when my Grandpa got up to take the radio off, the front door was wide open. My Mom said she had radios in other houses with no problems. She said my Great-Grandma just didn't want one in her house.

OK, lets see I have a few. Not as grand as some others but still.

-I was staying at a gfs house. She told me that the guest room was haunted. I always thought that was cool. So one night I went to sleep in the guest bedroom (her mom wouldn't let her have a guy sleep in her room with her) and I felt a cat walking across the bed. I know she kept the cat in her room with the door closed. But just figured the cat must have gotten out. I reach back to shue the cat off and nothing. The room got real cold. I then sensed I was being watched. Next morning turned out the cat was with her all night.

-I was fast asleep and my gf who was sleeping over heard something downstairs. I just told her it was probably my roommate coming back to get some of his stuff. She asked if the chain was on the door (my bedroom had a doorchain instead of a lock on it...it was not exactly the nicest place. I told her it was. a few minutes later the door slams open the chain stopping it from opening completely. Never saw her jump so fast, she called 911 and when the police arrived they didn't see anythingno doors were opened, my roommate wasn't there, never was...I had already checked while she was dialing.

-This one happened to my sister. She was walking through her school where she teaches. They were right in the middle of renovations. she was walking down the hall and saw a person standing in front of the blueprints that where posted on the wall. She called out to the person. the person looked at her, looked sad shook her heard and walked away. My sister then asked about her since she thought she was the only one there. They said she was and asked what the person looked like. My sister described her, and after was shown a picture. She said that was the woman. Turned out it was a former teacher who had passed away and her old classroom was one that was being torn down.

-ok last one...take this one for what it's worth. I was in my apt. and needed to get a beer. I kept the beer in a separate fridge in the spare bedroom. I stood there in the doorway and couldn't go in. something in my mind wouldn't let me. I just walked away sat down and tried again 10 mins later. still couldn't just stood there. Finally after 10 mins passed again I went and got the beer. Now anyone who knows me knows...NOTHING stops me from getting a beer, so obviously something was up. Not to mention I could go ona about things from that apt., but I'll save those for another time.

Archived