Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Aldo vs. Holloway tonight, great main event with a ****ty undercard

been flip flopping on this fight since it was announced.  its volume in Holloway vs. precision with Aldo.  I think Holloway squeezes out a decision in a close fight.

the only other fight i'm remotely interested in on this card is Marlon Moraes vs. Raphael Assuncao.  Moraes has been top dog in WSOF and has some the very best striking at 135.  Assuncao will be a good test to see where he's at, just wasn't much competition for him in WSOF to properly gauge him.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

The Chin doesn't look the same and he seemed to gas in the 3rd. Holloway is a beast tho. His progression has been impressive.    

Frankie presents a lot of challenges tho, I don't think Holloway has the take down defense to beat him. 

Max played the fight really smart. His coaches likely trained him to be safe & guarded for first couple of rounds, Let Aldo throw a lot, but try to avoid getting hit and don't get into a brawl, let Aldo spend his energy, and just like clockwork Aldo was breathing heavy as the second round closed, that is when Max really went to work.

On 6/11/2017 at 1:05 AM, Bacon said:

Kinda heartbroken that Derrick Lewis is hanging it up. I always enjoy his fights.

Me too, Bacon... but-

Honestly, he was getting the same beatdown from Travis Browne before he went nuts and KO'd Travis, who lost his chin. Browne's leg kicks and body kicks were killing Derrick.

This time (vs. Hunt) he was up against a super-experienced warhorse with a serious chin. I never saw Derrick rising to the same circle as Cain or Stipe or Overeem. He was on a good run but was already getting "exposed" by highly-ranked guys even though he was winning. It was only a matter of time. I think if he continues fighting he'll end up on a losing streak. He's offensively deadly but defensively very vulnerable. 

2 hours ago, Chachie said:

Me too, Bacon... but-

Honestly, he was getting the same beatdown from Travis Browne before he went nuts and KO'd Travis, who lost his chin. Browne's leg kicks and body kicks were killing Derrick.

This time (vs. Hunt) he was up against a super-experienced warhorse with a serious chin. I never saw Derrick rising to the same circle as Cain or Stipe or Overeem. He was on a good run but was already getting "exposed" by highly-ranked guys even though he was winning. It was only a matter of time. I think if he continues fighting he'll end up on a losing streak. He's offensively deadly but defensively very vulnerable. 

Ironically, he never saw himself in that class of fighter.  I remember an interview from him sometime back and he basically said then he wasn't going to stick around that long, just wanted to make enough to pay off his house.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Ironically, he never saw himself in that class of fighter.  I remember an interview from him sometime back and he basically said then he wasn't going to stick around that long, just wanted to make enough to pay off his house.

I saw an interview with him on the same subject of his motivation to fight, and he said it was neither the belt, nor the money, that he was fighting for. He said it was just the pure fun of it. This loss somehow took the fun out of it, apparently.

But maybe the emotional toll caused a knee-jerk reaction, and he comes back after the mental recovery (and he settles in his new marriage).

He's still relatively young in MMA, so there's plenty of time for all that.

• Like 1

What are the chances the UFC gets brought up on a violation of the Ali Act, which specifically state a promoter can not act as a fighters manager for the same event?

they also noted Conor's payout (and Floyd's too I think) will not be disclosed due to a Non Disclosure Agreement. 

Other things odd about this fight- other than the obvious- are:

-they noted Conor is prohibited from throwing kicks & elbows, suggesting a significant financial penalty if he does. Wonder if the same applies to Floyd, who sneaks in a ton of elbows? If Floyd's ref is there, there is no way he calls Floyd for an elbow unless it is blatantly obvious, even then it still might not be called. 

- Conor's shorts: Reebok branded UFC shorts or will he wear boxing shorts & have his own sponsors on them? That could piss a ton of fighters off and strengthen the anti trust suit vs the UFC, or at least open up the possibility of fighters not wearing reebok in the octagon. Might not apply to entire roster, but I could see a single fighter bringing a case before a judge for a specific fight in that state and win an injunction to wear their own shorts & gear. 

-if Conor wins, does he ever fight in the UFC again? I don't see it happening. With the loss of their biggest star, and potential legal issues, this $4 billion purchase might blow up in Ari Emanuel's face.  Even if Conor loses, why not stick to boxing, tell the UFC to take a hike and go it his own and pull in 10 to 20 times what the UFC pays him to fight. 

-If Conor wins, how much does it affect the Canelo vs GGG PPV, or boxing in general going forward? I could see a Conor win suck the interest in boxing out of the casual fan and result in a ridiculously low buy rate. 

- How big is the ring? Floyd fights in 24 foot rings MINIMUM, which is insane for that weight. (I don't think Tyson fought in anything bigger than 20 foot). If it's huge & Floyd runs & barley gets hit, how much does this hurt Conor's brand? I'm assuming Floyd is done after this, win or loose. 

This fight intrigues me, not because of the fight itself-I fully expect it to be garbage- but because of what it means to both the UFC & Boxing going forward. I don't think we will know for sure for another 3-5 years, when Conor should be retired and we see what the UFC has left. 

I'll just say this. A lot of people,  some boxing fans included, would absolutely love for Mayweather to get embarrassed.

Whoever wins/loses will have zero effect on GGG/Alvarez. This fight being just a few weeks before GGG/Alvarez is what's going to affect it. Putting this fight so close to that one is a chump move by Floyd. 

I actually believe they're overestimating the interest in this fight. Is people really calling for this fight? This isn't like Pacquiao/Mayweather. We were waiting close to 6 years for that fight. What are MMA fans going to do when footage of Conor getting schooled by his sparring partners get out? I already saw one. This fight is going to be disgraceful. I don't blame Conor, he'll never see this kind of money in the UFC, but Floyd should be ashamed of himself.

This is what he chooses to go for 50-0? "TBE" what?

Edited by DM72

Half of Floyd's audience wants him to lose to anyone, that's his genius that Conor also picked up on: if you only appeal to fans who want to watch you win, your throwing away potentially 50% of your audience.  I know I just want to see Floyd's reaction to a loss like a lot of people. 

Floyd's doing this for the same reason as Conor, for the money. This is also not for fans of Floyd; delusion fans of Conor & haters of both fighters maybe and the casual fan who will watch this fight and not another one for 5-10 years. 

the fight will most likely be crap, I just want to see how far that crap spreads to boxing & MMA.  I actually think this fight could have more of a negative affect on the UFC than boxing. How does the UFC get the casual fan to watch any PPV without Conor? The core 300,000 US buys is almost given, 500,000 for decent cards, but where do those 1 million PPV buys come from if Conor bolts?  

UFC might be getting out of the PPV game wether they like it or not. 

• Like 1

Floyd is going to knock Conor out. It's going to be an absolute clinic, Conor will get tired and start throwing heavy hands, Floyd will slip one and come with a shot that puts Conor down. It may actually be a case of Conor being too tired to get up rather than actually being knocked out. 

Im shocked the books have it at 9.5 rounds. That would be over 20 minutes of what Conor is used to. 

7 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Im shocked the books have it at 9.5 rounds. That would be over 20 minutes of what Conor is used to. 

9.5 rounds of boxing is 28.5 minutes of fighting, right ?

Conor recently went 25 minutes with Diaz, and didn't gas, so fighting 3.5 minutes more is probably not going to be a Cardio issue with him.

Beyond the 9.5 rounds, we can only speculate, because we just don't know when his cardio tanks out, as we havn't seen it happen.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Some nondescript boxer put out some footage of hin sparring Conor. Conor looked every bit as basic as you would expect. Any boxer in the top 30 would embarrass him.

Mayweather wont knock him out though, just a 12rd schooling where everybody regrets lining his pockets again

• Like 1

Well Showtime replays their PPV a few weeks or a month after the event right? I might wait for that. 

MAYWEATHER VS.  MCGREGOR:

Most Illegally Streamed Fight in the History of the World!!!!

this also has reserved seats at a sports bar written all over it.