Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Something felt off about Rumble's retirement announcement.  He said his coaches knew......so why would they all exit the octagon and then not come back even when Rumble was asking for them?  It felt awkward as he was calling them out by their names to come back in a few times but they never did.

6 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Mousasi was going to ko Chris. Chris was clearly hurt and concussed. 

Weidman tried to play the game and loss. he was on his way out either way, Mousasi is one of the best finishers in the game when he sees his man hurt

knowing how the UFC books MW, Weidman may have just secured the next title shot

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I think Weidman was trying to milk the referees mistake in order to win via DQ, and he did such a good sell job that by the time it was shown that the knees were legal, the doctor's were already convinced Weidman couldn't continue.  That's Karma biting him back.  Mousassi was great in the post fight presser, if you missed it you should look it up if for nothing else Mousassi's interview alone.

As far as Rumble goes.....

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/04/ufc-210-anthony-johnson-corner-shocked-wrestling-daniel-cormier

Says a lot.

Between that, and the fact that he seemed to tap pretty much the instant Cormier put the choke on him, makes me think the guy knew he was going to retire for some time now and likely mentally was already out of the game. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

But what about the fact that NY cannot use instant replay, and therefore cannot change a decision on a legal/illegal strike ?

Based on that rule alone, shouldn't the fight have been re-started with the fighters in the same position, and the same time on the clock ?

Yes it should have unless

A) Weidman said he count not continue

B ) The doctors determine Weidman cannot continue

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yes it should have unless

A) Weidman said he count not continue

B ) The doctors determine Weidman cannot continue

If that happened, it must have been based on information at the time the break started, because the very moment they announced the fight was stopped, Weidman was livid. So, that tells me he was probably willing and able to continue at that point. So it must have been retroactively based on his response immediately after the ref stopped it. Maybe he was intentionally "milking" it, like some people say. But he wasn't breaking or bending any rules. Because the ref told him it was he had 5 minutes and to take his time, since the knee was illegal. So he was just doing what the ref allowed him, and what was within his rights. Bad fighter etiquette by Weidman, perhaps. But the only broken rules were by the officiating.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If that happened, it must have been based on information at the time the break started, because the very moment they announced the fight was stopped, Weidman was livid. So, that tells me he was probably willing and able to continue at that point. So it must have been retroactively based on his response immediately after the ref stopped it. Maybe he was intentionally "milking" it, like some people say. But he wasn't breaking or bending any rules. Because the ref told him he had 5 minutes. So he was just doing what the ref allowed him, and what was within his rights. Bad fighter etiquette by Weidman, perhaps. But the only broken rules were by the officiating.

Oh for sure.  He was informed that one of the knees was illegal, so he was doing what he felt was right.  The gray area here is what happened in his mind between being told the knees were actually legal and when the doctors stopped the fight because even after he was told the knees were legal, the ref again made the error of still giving him 2-3 more minutes to recover which was the wrong thing to do.  IMO, Weidman ultimately was done a favor, because he still seemed semi-out of it during the post fight interview.  He was on his way to being put out and still showed signs of being on silly street despite being angry.

I didn't quite understand one of the new rule changes they announced Saturday night - about the extended fingers/eye poke now being a foul...Was that not already a foul ? I was under the impression that it was a foul, and just that some refs were slack about enforcing it.

What's different about it now ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I didn't quite understand one of the new rule changes they announced Saturday night - about the extended fingers/eye poke now being a foul...Was that not already a foul ? I was under the impression that it was a foul, and just that some refs were slack about enforcing it.

What's different about it now ?

i think before you could extend the hand with your fingers out, so long as you didn't poke.  Now simply having your fingers extended like that is a foul

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i think before you could extend the hand with your fingers out, so long as you didn't poke.  Now simply having your fingers extended like that is a foul

Thanks for clarifying.

And I think that's a good rule change, because some fighters, especially if they had a reach advantage, were using extended fingers, as a way of keeping the opponent at bay, and manipulating them into being tentative, for fear of an imminent, painful eye poke.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Still Unknown gotta be happy for Aljamain Sterling getting back in the win column, after dealin with consecutive losses.

And Souza gonna fight a very under-rated Whittaker, so a lot of people may be in for a surprise.

been a little disappointed in Sterling's progression. not sure how far he can go at 135. his game is pressure based and using scrambling to his advantages.  I dont think his wrestling is strong enough to force the better fighters at 135 to the ground.  On feet, his hands haven't really improved like I thought they would. his kicking game is decent, but it doesn't amount to much if its his only weapon.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Dana pulls GSP from title fight, due to his tentativeness, and Romero will get the shot against Bisping.

Bisping will not fight Romero, i am very convinced of that.

Just make the andeson/gsp fight we all wanted to see like 5 or 6 years ago

• Like 1