Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Just wanted to say, it's criminal the way Jones v Cormier has been under promoted. Jones was just on Undisputed and Cormier on First Take, but still.

And in both interviews, it ended with Mayweather/McGreggor questions? Give me a ****ing break.

Edited by DM72

On 2017-07-22 at 11:48 AM, StillUnknown said:

that is a very good breakdown

Heavy Hands Podcast is another great one: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/11/8196959/heavy-hands-podcast-mma-technique-boxing-patrick-wyman-connor-ruebusch-analysis

Wyman is my favorite when it comes to breakdowns and fight reviews

Jack Slack for the win. I think his articles where better when he wasn't pumping out 2 per week for Fightland, but now that Fightland has shut down & Vice Sports has gone to video only, hopefully he gets back to the more in-depth, lower volume articles he used to write. His "Killing the King" series is excellent, and his wushu watches & commentary on kangaroo fights are always a fun read.  He did have a video series called Ringcraft which was really amazing but Fightland messed up, held episode 4 on Rousey too long, then she lost & the content was no longer as relavent. 

He also has a weekly podcast & a Patreon page ($5/month) where he puts up longform history articles once a month. 

He he also has written a McGregor book "Notorious" which I think is now on Amazon US and should be in bookstores by September. 

He doesn't know where he will be writing now that Fightland is down, but he is worth searching for if you are looking for solid written MMA Analysis. 

I know it's a month late, but I just caught the Bellator replay of Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva.  And while the match was not exciting, I don't care what anyone says, I love listening to Chael Sonnen talk.  He would have been a great 80's heel in the NWA.

Jones over DC by Unanimous Decision: If you look at this purely from a matchup point of view, Jones is just an awful stylistic matchup for DC and I think it will play out as such.  Jones looks a little rusty early, but finishes stronger as DC's cardio starts to fade.

Woodley over Maia by (T)KO: Kinda hoping Woodley lands a killshot early, otherwise this one could get ugly to watch pretty quick. Maia has a knack for dragging good wrestlers to the ground so maybe he can get Woodley there as well and work his magic, seems like a longshot IMO.  Just seems like a terrible style matchup for Maia.

Cyborg over Evinger by Murder:  I hope Evinger is being well compensated for this. Evinger is a very tough fighter and deserves a good payday for her time served in MMA. She is a good wrestler with a good ground game, but she is a 135lb fighter stepping up because she is a legit crazy person who has no fear.  That same mentality is going to get her hurt bad because she just may be tough enough to make this fight uncomfortable to watch as she gets beat down.

Lawler over Cerrone by (T)KO: hard to say how Lawler will look off the long layoff following getting killed by Woodley.  Lawler has the better hands, but Cerrone could land with the kicks.  Lawler has shown that he can do good body work and Cerrone is notoriously weak to the body.  I suspect Cerrone's chin is starting to show wear after all the wars he's been in as well.

Barao over Sterling by Unanimous Decision:  I was high on Sterling, but he hasn't progressed with his striking like I hoped he would.  Barao is fading, but this is another horrible style matchup.  Sterling is at his best when during grappling scrambles, Barao might be the hardest guy to takedown in all of MMA and his striking is still a level or two about Sterlings.  I want Sterling to win, but unless Barao is severely faded, I don't see how it happens.

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Woodley easily won, but you gotta do more than 1-2 and reset

not sure where Maia goes from here. 2 title fights and 2 horrible matches

I remember after Wonderboy/Woodley II, you said "please don't ever book these 2 fighters together again"

Same should be said for these 2

1 minute ago, Destino said:

The only thing I took from that fight was that Woodley has some remarkable take down defense.  Zero entertainment value though. 

Yea, not sure why so many people are calling this the best card of the year