Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

1. Bobby Heenan- gets the slight nod over Cornette since Heenan consistently managed main eventers in top circuits.

2. Jim Cornette- Ric Flair and Jim Cornette made the JCP on WTBS era special, and to think that Cornette's best work was under Watts in Mid-South.

3. Paul E. Dangerously- Paul is the ONE old-school manager that could be effective today.

4. Jimmy Hart- if you only saw him in the WWF or WCW you missed out. Hart carried the heel side of the Memphis circuit. He was both funny and beleivable.

5. Lou Albano- by 1984 Albano was a shell of his former self, which was a shame. In the 70's he came across as the ultimate sleazy, dirty manager that drew heat and money.

6. Gary Hart- I have heard and read great things about Hart in the 70's, but have actually seen very little of that. Hart was very believable in his role, but the only time he really jumped out at me was when he was managing Chris Adams in 1984 and early 1985. They split that pair up FAR too early.

7. The Grand Wizard- the WWWF's top dog.

8. Skandor Akbar- Bill Watts knew exactly how to use Akbar. Other promoters didn't.

9. Lord Alfred Hays- very underrated IMO, as he was great in the AWA and especially Florida.

10. Bill Alphonso- was great at hiding behind Taz.

I have vague memories of the Three Wisemen era of the WWWF/WWF. That formula worked but I think I would have gotten bored by it.

Blassie appears with an opponent for Backlund. Three months of matches ending with a Backlund victory at the Garden. 

Deep Breath....

The Grand Wizard appears with an opponent for Backlund. Three months of matches ending with a Backlund victory at the Garden. 

Deep Breath......

Albano appears with an opponent for Backlund. Three months of matches ending with a Backlund victory at the Garden. 

Deep Breath......

Blassie appears........

I think they kept Albano more in the tag team ranks though.

The biggest problem with that formula is that it seemed to get the manager over more than the wrestlers. I put Blassie ahead of Albano because his wrestlers - like Hogan and Pantera and the Iron Sheik- actually got bigger as a result of working with him. Albano sucked all the heat away from his guys. The only wrestler who really got over himself thanks to Albano is - I think - Snuka. And even then, Albano did the most ridiculous sell job in wrestling history when he bladed himself and bled all over the place before simply walking away from the beating.

6. Gary Hart- I have heard and read great things about Hart in the 70's, but have actually seen very little of that. Hart was very believable in his role, but the only time he really jumped out at me was when he was managing Chris Adams in 1984 and early 1985. They split that pair up FAR too early.

My experience with Gary Hart is really from Georgia Championship Wrestling and Kabuki. GCW really didn't do much with managers in retrospect but Hart stood out as something different. He looked like a crooked cop and talked like a loan shark and really made it seem like Kabuki would murder half the crowd if Hart didn't control him. The managers I was used to were the three weirdos in the WWWF so Hart really stood out.

8. Skandor Akbar- Bill Watts knew exactly how to use Akbar. Other promoters didn't.

Akbar fit that territory perfectly. A bunch of Cajuns and Okies dependent on oil field work for the money to buy beer and rasslin' tickets. Akbar's big strength was that - like Heenan - he could often outwork his own wrestlers. A heel manager being able to sell a beating is incredible. Neither Cornette nor Heyman were trained wrestlers and that hurt them some; it literally hurt Cornette because he would take bumps that the Dynamite Kid wouldn't have taken and he kept injuring himself.

9. Lord Alfred Hays- very underrated IMO, as he was great in the AWA and especially Florida.

I've heard and read great things about Hayes, but I never saw him anywhere but the WWF where he was the weird little guy laughing on the set of Tuesday Night Titans. My AWA experience is limited to the post-Rick Martel dying days. I find the AWA boring as a result.

10. Bill Alphonso- was great at hiding behind Taz.

That's a good call, but I think that is all Heyman. Take an ugly, barely coherent referee and make him a great heel manager. I don't think Fonzie could have worked anywhere except ECW.

Kamla is ridiculous. But that was Memphis. Memphis could ALMOST get away with gimmicks like this. Almost.

Ahmed couldn't stop hurting people - including himself.

If only there was a way in wrestling to have someone talk for someone who wasn't great at promos but could do everything else. Maybe someone who could pretend to "manage" the wrestler who doesn't talk well.

Anyone got any ideas?

That would require branching out.

Or, heck, go Mr. Fuji style where he doesn't really speak english, either.

You know what I REALLY hate about Raw? Have a match or segment - go to commercial - come back & recap what we just ****ing watched. Or in my case, what I just FFW'D through & now I have to zap through it a second time.

So I just saw this,

- Word from backstage at last night's RAW is that Seth Rollins is fine and is not injured. A source said Rollins was just selling the knee injury from the main event and doing a good job of it. It was noted that it was suspicious how WWE kept the cameras off Rollins when he went down.
Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0715/579028/update-on-possible-injuries-to-seth-rollins-and-dean-ambrose/#4oCbw8hSkr0ZT5x2.99

bth_BS_Flag.gif

There is no way that was part of the show. He was legit hurt. I saw the trainer rush over, I did not see the ref throw up the "X" bu t people in the audience did. The announcers were a little confused to me, and like Momma said, Kane and Cena were kind of clunky towards the end. 

However, they still managed to close effectively. I like Orton hitting the RKO on Kane. And I can almost guarantee that we're going to see a Kane face turn soon. Possibly setting up Orton vs Kane at Summer Slam.

Also, I like for the last two weeks, they seemed to be ending RAW with the heel's music playing, but then out of nowhere Reigns comes with a spear. That's good. 

I'd rather them not give so many OBVIOUS hints that Brock Lesnar is about to return. Paul Heyman not walking to the ring with Cesaro, then telling Triple H he has a "Plan C". We all know it's going to be Cena vs Lesnar at Summer Slam, can you at least surprise us with a return?

The only thing I can care less about Sting coming to the WWE is Sting coming to a WWE video game that I won't be buying until the next one comes out.

Edited by MLSKINS

Swagger is one of the hotter babyfaces on the roster and Cesaro is drifting aimlessly. Who the hell saw THAT coming at WrestleMania time? Heyman is a complete albatross other than with Lesnar. Note that Axel and Ryback are actually pretty over as a heel team now more than they ever were with Heyman. Zeb took Swagger and Cesaro, who had done nothing for months, and got them over very well last year. Guys should be begging creative to make them a "Zeb Guy".

Just reading a recap of Raw takes 20 minutes. I don't know how anyone could sit through three hours every week.

Yeah. That's part of what's wrong. They don't need to be 3 hours especially when it's about an hour of recapping everything that happened before the commercial break. 3 hours is A LOT of time for a show that's now "PG" & still trying to be everything to everybody. 8pm-11pm? Sorry, but your kiddie audience should be in bed sleeping after the first hour. I could deal with it a bit better if they ran all the stupid **** from 8-9pm then opened it up the last 2 hours.

Swagger is one of the hotter babyfaces on the roster and Cesaro is drifting aimlessly. Who the hell saw THAT coming at WrestleMania time? Heyman is a complete albatross other than with Lesnar. Note that Axel and Ryback are actually pretty over as a heel team now more than they ever were with Heyman. Zeb took Swagger and Cesaro, who had done nothing for months, and got them over very well last year. Guys should be begging creative to make them a "Zeb Guy".

Disagree somewhat. Swagger is only over because of Russev. Russia vs USA has always been a staple story in wrestling.

Heyman has even admitted (Talk is Jericho podcast with Y2J, Edge, & Heyman part 2) that Axel was the wrong guy because the story was Heyman & Punk. then they split & Punk wants to kill Heyman so you build to the money match of Punk vs Brock at SS then Brock's out of dates on his deal. So you still want to see Punk get Heyman in the ring & whip his ass. Heyman get Axel who has to feed Punk to build to Punk finally getting his hands on Heyman. Anyone in Axel's role was pretty much doomed because that part HAD to be the guy that you feed to Punk to build to the blowoff of Punk vs Heyman.

What? I was under the impression that the WWE Universe had no idea who Sting was.

Richmond was a good place to introduce him. Same with bringing Flair back there. I don't know if anyone in the northeast would care.

It is sort of amazing how long these wrestlers can have legacies in certain cities. I don't even know if the WWE goes to Evansville, IN any longer, but when they used to, the biggest star of the night was always Lawler.

Flair will pretty much get a monster pop anywhere, but it's always going to be different in Charlotte and Greensboro. Even Hogan was more over in some cities more than others (as WCW learned in 94 and 95). Toronto is the classic example obviously.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Honestly, Cesaro was getting over as a face before they randomly paired him with Heyman.

I think the audience is confused on what to do with him