Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Question for all my fellow wrestling peeps. If you had your own entrance music, waking up and coming down the stairs, arriving at work, etc. what would it be?

Mötley Crüe - "MUTHER****ER OF THE YEAR"

TNA cancelled by the country music channel: http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/27/impact-wrestling-cancelled-spike-tv-tna/

Can't say that I've ever watched them, but it's sad to see them go because even though they weren't much competition they could still keep Vince looking over his shoulder.

I wonder how much that Russo revelation fed into this?

And how many wrestlers has Russo put out of work over the years?

TNA can be so stupid at times. Why are they so fascinated with Russo? The man has done absolutely nothing since the Attitude days.

But this could be a blessing in disguise for TNA.

Edited by DM72

There's better networks out there than SpikeTV. Heck, MTV would even be better.

I'm not sure there is a great desire for a bad pro wrestling show out there right now. It's not like WWE had to beat off suitors with a stick after all. And TNA has just been bleeding money for the last few years. I'm not sure why the Carters would even want to try to save it at this point.

Meltzer said on his podcast this was all because of Russo. Spike hates Russo.

Why would MTV pick up a wrestling show that was cancelled? And moreover why does anyone think TNA deserves anymore chances?

Sure MTV would be better, but I have a hard time believing they would have any interest. I am sure TNA will end up somewhere, mainly because there are about 1,000 channel options at this point. But I don't see them ending up at a network with more visibility than Spike. It is good that they have a little time to figure it out, but I can't see them ending up in a better spot. There just is not enough demand.

I like TNA, and have been a fairly frequent watcher since almost day one with the weekly PPVs. But man, they have made so many questionable decisions over the years. This news sucks because I feel like the quality has been better recently, but it might not matter soon.  

Meltzer said on his podcast this was all because of Russo. Spike hates Russo.

Why would MTV pick up a wrestling show that was cancelled? And moreover why does anyone think TNA deserves anymore chances?

This is what pisses me off? WWE fans act as if it's not WWE produced, it doesn't deserve to exist.  

It wasn't cancelled because of bad ratings. IMPACT is probably one of their highest rated shows.

Sure MTV would be better, but I have a hard time believing they would have any interest. I am sure TNA will end up somewhere, mainly because there are about 1,000 channel options at this point. But I don't see them ending up at a network with more visibility than Spike. It is good that they have a little time to figure it out, but I can't see them ending up in a better spot. There just is not enough demand.

I have no doubt TNA will have options. There is always a need for programming on cable networks. And it does draw a certain number of eyeballs that you can pretty much count on.

The question is: Is anyone willing to pay for those eyeballs?

Spike's money was the only thing that seemed to be keeping the doors open. What does this company look like with 1/2 of Spike's money?

This is what pisses me off? WWE fans act as if it's not WWE produced, it doesn't deserve to exist.  

It wasn't cancelled because of bad ratings. IMPACT is probably one of their highest rated shows.

I think it's pretty obvious that I'm not a WWE fan. And I think there should be several wrestling companies with tv contracts.

TNA is not one of those. It doesn't deserve to exist because it is so incompetent.

I feel bad for the talent, because WWE ain't going to touch them, and it's not like there's a ton of money on the indies to start with. A flood of ex-TNA wrestlers is not going to help that situation.

Trust me, I know. We can start with the re-hiring of Russo. Again, what's the fascination with this guy?

And the fact that they tried to keep it a secret; apparently they knew it was not the best of ideas when they made the decision to bring him back. Its like when I was a teenager and trying to hide things from my parents. I knew I had done something dumb, but I did not want anyone to know. In this case, the parents found out and they did not approve. 

I'd love for there to be more wrestling companies but TNA has had so many opportunities over the years and squandered them my point is why should they be given another chance? I feel for the guys there like Aries and Joe who probably won't be hired by WWE but TNA wasted them. Sad. They have no one to blame but themselves.

• Like 1

And I think there should be several wrestling companies with tv contracts.

Not to derail the conversation, but I always wondered why ROH could not get a better deal than the sporadic syndication one they have now. ROH does not have the greatest stable of talent, but its not bad and they seem like a pretty well run company with a pretty solid following. I know they had a short run on HDNet, but I always wondered why they did not end up somewhere else. 

Not to derail the conversation, but I always wondered why ROH could not get a better deal than the sporadic syndication one they have now. ROH does not have the greatest stable of talent, but its not bad and they seem like a pretty well run company with a pretty solid following. I know they had a short run on HDNet, but I always wondered why they did not end up somewhere else. 

I think the issue is that no one really grasps how expensive it is to put on a televised wrestling show.

When TNA left the Impact Zone and went on the road, it began losing around $600K per week per show. That's why it started to filming months of tv in advance in one location.

Cornette on one of his podcasts talks about how ROH could not afford to ship a ring from New York to Milwaukee for a show and he had to arrange for a ring to be delivered on his own. ROH could also only afford to send four "name" wrestlers to the show and filled the rest of the card with local indie guys.

Sinclair Broadcasting actually owns ROH now and it's basically an in-house tv show.

ROH has never been in a position to be "syndicated" because it doesn't have the ability to fill the hours of wrestling necessary to fill a syndication order. ROH - at this point - seems to only have 4 events scheduled for all of August.

By the way, want to know why ECW actually got hot in the first place? Go back and watch the early episodes of Hardcore TV (that show I watched on the MSG network in '94 and '95 or thereabouts). Paul E. managed to somehow get 4 hours of tv out of one 2.5 hour wrestling show at the ECW arena nearly every month. And miraculously, it never seemed stale. They would edit that stuff to death, stick in all these promos, and do a ten minute Pulp Fiction segment and - voila - an entertaining tv show. That aired at 1 AM on a Saturday night.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I have no idea why TNA never went the syndication route. The WWE and the NWA/WCW was made via syndication. I don't know if they will ever grow with just one primetime show a week.

The WWE was made via syndication. The NWA died because of its feeble syndication.

WCW only existed because it was an in-house tv production company for Turner. It had some strange syndicated shows (Worldwide....I liked it) but those were odd little attempts at syndication. Wrestling was cheaper for Turner to produce than almost anything and it drew bigger ratings than almost anything.

Having said.....I'm not sure syndication is a good business model for wrestling going forward, because it's not that cheap to produce. It may draw better ratings than a game show but a game show is cheaper to produce and - thus - cheaper to sell.

Part of me thinks that the future of wrestling - outside the WWE - is probably online streaming of some kind. Not sure how that would work. Or where the talent would come from.

TNA is probably the last WWE competitor that will ever make it possible for a large number of people to be a "full-time wrestler" in the States.

The WWE was made via syndication. The NWA died because of its feeble syndication.

WCW only existed because it was an in-house tv production company for Turner. It had some strange syndicated shows (Worldwide....I liked it) but those were odd little attempts at syndication.

What do you mean by strange? I thought Worldwide and Pro was good shows. It was always nice to see the NWA in an arena setting IMO.

What do you mean by strange? I thought Worldwide and Pro was good shows. It was always nice to see the NWA in an arena setting IMO.

Strange as in "half-assed" at least in terms of business. They never had the markets or stations that WWF had.

Dusty did a shoot interview a decade ago where he said that the biggest problem Crockett had was that they had great ratings on TBS but that everyone viewed TBS as a "hick station." They were basically the Hee Haw company compared to the MTV company in New York.

Strange as in "half-assed" at least in terms of business. They never had the markets or stations that WWF had.

Dusty did a shoot interview a decade ago where he said that the biggest problem Crockett had was that they had great ratings on TBS but that everyone viewed TBS as a "hick station." They were basically the Hee Haw company compared to the MTV company in New York.

Can't argue with that.

DM, it has nothing to do with anyone being a fan of WWE. I think WWE is garbage at the moment. I just happen to think that TNA is ****.

I used to be a huge TNA fan from 2002 all the way up until Hogan. Since then it's been trash, which is nuts because that roster is overflowing with talent

It'll end up somewhere random and eventually fade away. In my opinion, they should have just stayed in their niche Lane like ROH does. They tried to compete with WWE and got ****slapped

Bringing in Russo is just pure hilarity.

Really when you go back over TNA's history there is no defense of them. They have shot themselves in the foot over and over again for a decade. People so badly want them to be competition for WWE but they're barely better (and that's really debatable, too) than Ring of Honor (who you could argue WWE has a lot more respect for based on the dealings and praise they've given them on their website in the past) They deserve this. They earned this.

Btw I won tickets to see TNA in Hagerstown next month so I'm really curious to see how it's gonna be.