Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About FedExField

Mark The Homer

I'm always mindful of the people around me when I stand. If the people behind me stand up, then I'll stand up. But I'm not going to piss everyone in my section off just so I can stand and yell. Are you really any louder standing than sitting?

Like I said before, I used to go to games with my grandfather. He's 85 and has had tickets for over 50 years. Are you saying he should have to stand all game because some idiot in front of him thinks it's cool to stand up all game? Is he more of a fan because he's standing?

if you want the stand the entire game, go to the standing room. I mean I love getting excited but there is no reason to stand unless everyone else is doing it or its a critical point of the game
Like I said, if the entire LL stands when on defense and yells, WE create a homefield advantage. If we sit and text or gossip or play angry birds or talk on the phone or try to find someone you know 24 sections away in the UL, we have a sterile environment. Anyone been to a game in Pittsburgh? They stand on D, almost the entire LL. In Seattle the LL stands. In major college stadiums, they stand (Texas, Oregon VT, the entire SEC, Michigan, Ohio St, USC, FSU, I can continue). In RFK, we stood. I remember my dad taking me to a game in the 80's. I had to stand on my seat and hold his shoulder to see ANYTHING when the D was on the field. RFK is what taught me how to act as a fan. Stand and yell on D, sit and rest on O and celebrate big plays. Never miss a play. Have to pee? streak for the bathroom about 10 seconds before the 2 minute warning or end of quarter. You would beat 95% of the people and be back before the next play. Be in your seat for kickoff of both[/] halves. At FedEx, 70% of the stadium is in the concourse at second half kickoff.

I'm always mindful of the people around me when I stand. If the people behind me stand up, then I'll stand up. But I'm not going to piss everyone in my section off just so I can stand and yell. Are you really any louder standing than sitting?

Like I said before, I used to go to games with my grandfather. He's 85 and has had tickets for over 50 years. Are you saying he should have to stand all game because some idiot in front of him thinks it's cool to stand up all game? Is he more of a fan because he's standing?

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm also a tall dude, so I've always been a little mindful of people behind me, whether it's at a sporting event or concert.

I'm glad they put in the standing room sections at FedEx...pretty cool.

DC9 - twisting the argument every which way you can, sidetracking whenever possible.

If you want to stand the whole game fine, be my guest. But don't hide from the fact that your behavior is selfish, own it.

Finally, thinking that just because you paid for your seat you're entitled to inconvenience others (who have also paid for their seat) says a lot about you.

I'm in row 29 of the 400's... that is the top of the stadium tshile. There is no one behind me to bother me or for me to bother. I do that so that there is no one behind me. I love my seats. I will be moving down next year because I want to start bringing my son to the games next year, and that's a rough walk... but I plan to sit there because of my habits. Maybe next year I will see things more your way.

And I don't believe I'm twisting your arguments, I'm just making sure you understand your inconsistancies is all. Like I said, I respect a lot of what you put on here. That's where I started this latest chain and that's where I'll end it. #nobeef

Every time I go to a game, my experience depends on the people sitting around me. Maybe it's because I don't have season tickets and only attend a few games a year, but I'm pumped the minute I enter the stadium. I don't come to sit. I come to be loud and support my team. Leave your old legs at home sitting on the couch.

I'm in row 29 of the 400's... that is the top of the stadium tshile. There is no one behind me to bother me or for me to bother. I do that so that there is no one behind me. I love my seats. I will be moving down next year because I want to start bringing my son to the games next year, and that's a rough walk... but I plan to sit there because of my habits. Maybe next year I will see things more your way.

And I don't believe I'm twisting your arguments, I'm just making sure you understand your inconsistancies is all. Like I said, I respect a lot of what you put on here. That's where I started this latest chain and that's where I'll end it. #nobeef

I think both of you guys need to relax a bit.

Winning cures all. I talked to my grandfather (who attended games at Griffith Stadium and had season tickets over the entire RFK era) about the RFK "home field advantage." He said it didn't really develop until the late 70's as the team started to get good. From 1960-1971 he had the same complaints that people have about FedEx today: lousy fans, lousy team, lousy stadium.

Lo and behold, when the Skins started winning (he pinpointed the 1972 NFCCG win over Dallas as the starting point), the atmosphere completely changed. RFK became a fortress and one of the most celebrated venues in NFL history, despite the fact that many fans had initially hated it.

If the Skins start winning now, Season Ticket Holders won't be unloading their tickets to the casual fans that get plastered and don't know basic football etiquette. This should also keep sales to visiting fans down as the Season Ticket Holders won't want to miss a good product on the field. Anyone who was at FedEx for the 1999 playoff game vs. the Lions, the 2005 games vs. the Giants and Cowboys, and the 2007 "win and we're in" game against the Cowboys can attest that FedEx is capable of creating one of the best home field advantages in the NFL.

tshile, the comparison with the Verizon Center is apples and oranges. You are talking about a sport with almost nonstop action for three 20 minute periods and three long intermissions. Football games have much less actual "action" and nonstop TV timeouts and breaks in play which lead to people standing and moving around much more often than at a hockey game.

If you think Caps fans are well behaved, you should have gone to a game before the team got Ovi. Only 10,000 people in the Phone Booth; people standing and moving around while the puck was in play. Bad problems with drunks especially when the Sabres/Pens fans came to town. One game in the early 00's I sat behind a guy who literally snuck in a liter of Jack that he crushed with his buddy; they were both passed out in their seats by the end of the second period. But since the Caps recent success, all of these problems have been alleviated and the VC now has great home ice advantage and much more knowledgeable hockey fans.

The biggest problem in both venues was the large scale resale of Season Tickets when the team was bad. A Season Ticket Holder for the Caps/Nats/Skins/Wiz tends to be a more well off member of society with a steady job and disposable income. They usually do not get out of hand at games because they sit around the same people each time and the team could revoke their tickets for misbehavior. However, when they list their tickets on the secondary market, the tickets are usually snapped up by some ******* Eagles, Dallas, or Giants fan or some guy who figures "this is my one Skins game of the year and these aren't my seats, what a great excuse to get plastered!"

I always sat in the upper deck at RFK when I was a kid, 60+ games from 82-96. Like others here, I also used to have to stand on my seat to see the big plays when the crowd stood. Not once do I remember conflict with people in front of us standing for no reason, while everyone else around them was sitting down.

Granted, the lower level stood for the entire game because of the domino effect from the low rows being obstructed by sideline personnel, but the upper deck didn't have that problem, so people usually sat.

The stand up/sit down problem has definitely grown with the shift in demographic attending today’s Redskins games. I don't picture this being nearly as much of a problem in Green Bay or Pitt.

So I'm sure that this question has been asked before but I just got dream seats tickets for the Falcons game. How bad is the view? I'm sitting in Section 19 and I read in this thread that the view is obstructed by personnel. I looked at the Redskins site and it seems like Section 19 is around the 20 yard line which I would think is okay but I'm not too sure. Can anyone help me here?

Anyone go to the VT-Cincy game last Saturday? I sat in row 27 of sec 121. on the 47 yard line, visiting sideline. We stood the entire time the VT D was on the field. We sat when the offense was on the field. We stood whenever a big play/TD happened. But on D, we stood and yelled the entire time the D was on the field. That is what Seattle does that creates the homefield advantage. That is what we did in RFK to create a homefield advantage. If the LL of FedEx stood and yelled the entire time the D was on the field, FedEx would have a homefield advantage. The opposing team would struggle in the huddle and they would have a hard time calling inaudibles inside 10 seconds o the play clock (you know, like Eli and Romo do constantly after diagnosing the D?). I understand not wanting to stand, I do. But in reality, standing and screaming is what CREATES the advantage. There is nothing wrong with expecting a crowd to stand whenever the D is on the field. We can sit during the offensive drives, TV timeouts, between quarters, and at half. That would be more than half the game sitting with a homefield advantage (because we would have the ball more than 50% of the game).

I don't want to call people out. I don't want to get in a pissing contest about fan etiquette. But go to a major CFB game. The fans STAND and YELL whenever the defense is on the field. And the yelling pauses briefly between plays. At FedEx, about 10% of the crowd is cheering the entire play clock, when the team is huddled and calling the play. The rest get involved as the play clock winds down. The stadium gets loud inside 10 seconds, and on 3rd and 4th downs. We need FedEx to be loud on 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th down from the moment the ball is spotted. We need to make it uncomfortable for the QB. Make it hard for him to hear the call, and harder still to relay the call in the huddle. It is my dream to one day attend an NFL game at FedEx and feel like I am attending a CFB game. FedEx was rocking in 2004 for the VT-USC game, and again for the VT-Boise St game in 2010. So to those saying that FedEx can't be a loud stadium, I call BS. The fans are directly responsible for the noise level.

You are 100% correct on this. Having been to Lane Stadium alot as well as other ACC stadiums around you can really tell the difference in the stadiums that have a homefield advantage and those that don't. It starts and ends with the fans. The Boise-VT game at FedEx was so loud I couldn't hear my friend who was trying to talk beside me. It was unreal and that place was electric. And there were roughly 10k Boise fans in LL there that night too. Fed-Ex could be that place for the Redskins too but the fans have to get off their butts on defense and act like they care to be there. Scream from the moment the offense goes into the huddle until the snap or even longer.

IF you want a homefield advantage, make one.

So I'm sure that this question has been asked before but I just got dream seats tickets for the Falcons game. How bad is the view? I'm sitting in Section 19 and I read in this thread that the view is obstructed by personnel. I looked at the Redskins site and it seems like Section 19 is around the 20 yard line which I would think is okay but I'm not too sure. Can anyone help me here?

If you would see the OP, there is a pic of the field while sitting in dream seats.

Sec 19 is right in front of section 119.

The sightlines are not good, but you've got the HD tron. It'll be fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best cash parking lot? Is the gray lot still accepting cash this season?

Also, my wife bought me dream seat tickets as a wedding gift. We will be sitting in section 40. Is there a specific side of the stadium we should enter on? Or do we access these seats through the normal lower level concourse.

Thanks guys! HTTR!

Click on my sig and scroll down to parking/cash. I think the best lot for you is the church. You'll enter on that side, although it doesnt' matter. You can access the entire stadium from any entrance. Have fun!

Thanks, Mark! Do these lots fill quickly? We were probably going to try to be at our seats a couple hours ahead of game time so we could experience the seats. Figured we would leave Rockville around 9-9:30 AM.

If you would see the OP, there is a pic of the field while sitting in dream seats.

Sec 19 is right in front of section 119.

The sightlines are not good, but you've got the HD tron. It'll be fine.

...and the cheerleaders will be pretty much right in front of you. Tell Ashley that MTH says Hello.... :)

---------- Post added October-5th-2012 at 11:03 PM ----------

Thanks, Mark! Do these lots fill quickly? We were probably going to try to be at our seats a couple hours ahead of game time so we could experience the seats. Figured we would leave Rockville around 9-9:30 AM.

>> Stadium Parking lots open at 9 AM, stadium gates open at 11.

Today I noticed that we finally had the Fox telecast on the TVs around the stadium. It was beautiful. No more crappy in house feed w/ no replays, etc.

I don't understand why it took 15 years for this to happen but I couldn't be happier about it now.

Hmm. I was sitting in row 19 of the club. I kept looking over my shoulder at the TVs in those executive suites behind me. They all had the same feed as the HD tron. I thought that was unusual, because in the past they had the network feed. But I confess I haven't been in the Club row 19 since 2007.

Strange Mark. The suites have always had the national tele feed from what I've noticed over the years. It used to annoy me the concourses were stuck with the in house feed, but I always figured is was commercial rights $ issue.

I was in 301 today, and every time I was on the concourse I saw the Fox feed. Same deal last week at the VT game on the lower concourse.

I was in 301 today, and every time I was on the concourse I saw the Fox feed. Same deal last week at the VT game on the lower concourse.

When did you leave the game today? Any idea on what the issue was with the escalator closest to that section....they had the entrance blocked off so you could only access it from going from behind the escalator.

Also, strange that they didn't bring the band down to the field pre-game.

Archived