Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About FedExField

Mark The Homer

I'm 5 rows from the field. I'll be damned if I paid $150 and am gonna have somebody tell me to sit down instead of standing and screaming when we're on defense (not even the entire game). Practically everyone was standing and the guy is trying to tell an entire section to sit down, not just me. If you're one of the 2% that are going to be sitting the entire game, sell your tickets to somebody else who is more enthusiastic. That's why we have no home field advantage.

ah yes, the "i'll inconvenience everyone else because I paid for seats too" argument.

I can yell as loud as you can while sitting down. IF you sit on the sidelines in the lower level, you have to stand because the people in the dream seats can't see the play on the field because they are too low. So they stand to see the game and so does everyone else in the 100 sections so they can see over the standing people in front of them. No need to stand the entire game elsewhere in the stadium. No one is saying you should never stand. Just be respectful of others who are unable to stand an entire game. They put seats in the stadium for a freakin' reason. Buy a standing room only "seat" if you don't want to sit. And just because you yell, jump up and down and wave your arms, does not make you a better fan than the guy behind you.

Well said. I would go to the games with my grandfather and we sit in 228. There is no reason to constantly stand in the 200s. Sure for a big play go for it, but if you're the only idiot standing in the section and people are telling you to sit, show some respect and sit down. Its not like you're missing the game but not standing.

we have a 80 year old gentleman in our row. couldn't see most of the game because a select few up front decided standing was how to watch a game, making everyone behind them stand.

nothing you can do about it. selfish people who only care about themselves will be selfish people who only care about themselves.

Has anyone ever heard of a row A? Someone told me they have seats in section 132 row A, but I thought all the rows were numbered? Help would be appreciated.

I would assume they knew they were front row and got it confused if it was Row A or Row 1. Because about half the stadiums do A-Z and others do 1-26... Heck even Verizon Center does A-Z...

Probably just a mental mistake, but unless you debated him and he told you for sure it's row A not row 1...

I would assume they knew they were front row and got it confused if it was Row A or Row 1. Because about half the stadiums do A-Z and others do 1-26... Heck even Verizon Center does A-Z...

Probably just a mental mistake, but unless you debated him and he told you for sure it's row A not row 1...

I asked him and his reply was way down at the bottom of the row.

If you're close to the Metro it might be easier to just take that and not have to pay to park

thats the problem. I live in Bowie, i would near to drive to addison rd to take the metro for 1 stop lol. Fedex field is 6 miles from my house but addison road is 15 miles lol.

Hypothetically speaking, if a judge, or a panel of fans could somehow review stand up/sit down conflict cases during the course of a game... I'll bet the rulings would favor people asking someone to ‘sit down’ more frequently than those claiming to be unfairly told to sit down by whiny patrons.

I've had people ask me to sit down a few times over the years. I don't believe I was in the wrong, but who ever does? However, many more times I've sat behind inconsiderate standers. It's usually one idiot who gets a kick out of antagonizing dozens of others to prove he's cool. A form of adult bullying.

Reading comprehension is fun.... see the line where I said "practically everyone was standing and the guy is trying to tell an entire section to sit down".

Oh I had no problem reading what you wrote. I saw that part. I also saw the part where you said you're 5 rows from the field which means you're the one blocking it for the rest of us, causing the rest of us to stand.

It's the people up front that cause the entire section to stand. You're one of them.

You said you think it's ok because you paid $150 for your seat. You think it's ok to inconvenience everyone else, who also paid for their seats, just because you paid for your seat.

As I said, selfish people will be selfish people. Unfortunately we can't do anything about it. I mean you could do something about it, but the rest of us can't. It's a mentality that can't be 'fixed' by simply explaining it, if it could be it probably wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

It's the people up front that cause the entire section to stand. You're one of them.

You said you think it's ok because you paid $150 for your seat. You think it's ok to inconvenience everyone else, who also paid for their seats, just because you paid for your seat.

As I said, selfish people will be selfish people. Unfortunately we can't do anything about it. I mean you could do something about it, but the rest of us can't. It's a mentality that can't be 'fixed' by simply explaining it, if it could be it probably wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

tshile I respect a lot of what you post... but if there is an 80 year old man in my section and I want to stand... I am standing.

I pray I make it to 80, but when I do, I will make sure I have a tv that takes up an entire wall so I don't have to go to the games. I love the fact that this guy is probably an unguided missil while driving to the games, and now an entire section has to sit down so he can see? He's been alive for four World Championship Teams!

tshile I respect a lot of what you post... but if there is an 80 year old man in my section and I want to stand... I am standing.

I pray I make it to 80, but when I do, I will make sure I have a tv that takes up an entire wall so I don't have to go to the games. I love the fact that this guy is probably an unguided missil while driving to the games, and now an entire section has to sit down so he can see? He's been alive for four World Championship Teams!

And that's fine, you're entitled to do what you please.

And this is about more than just one 80 year old, and you know it.

My point is it is selfish to only care about yourself and not about how your actions impact others. If you're going to be a selfish person thats fine, there's nothing the rest of us can do about it. It's no better than the drunks that think it's ok to get plastered and inconvenience everyone else either; we deal with them as well.

I just find it funny that somehow the fans that go to the capitals games have been able to figure it out yet the fans that go to the redskins games can't. They have a much better home field advantage than the redskins do, and they sit down. Go figure. Guess all that standing is doing a lot of good huh?

Oh I had no problem reading what you wrote. I saw that part. I also saw the part where you said you're 5 rows from the field which means you're the one blocking it for the rest of us, causing the rest of us to stand.

I am 5 rows from the field, I am not the first row. The people in front of me stand, and therefore I stand. I have no problem with this. On occasion I may be the first to stand. As I said, it was not for the entire game. It was for pivotal times on defense when the crowd was trying to get loud. And the usher is trying to sit everyone. He even admitted, "I know I can't get everyone to sit, but it's my job to come down here and try". Meaning even he knows its ridiculous, but somebody higher up is thinking its a good idea to have everyone sit for the whole game.

Are you really trying to tell me that I am a selfish person because I am standing for certain parts of a football game? Not an egregious conclusion at all...

And I deduce that you're also saying that everyone at Fedex should be sitting for the entire game, correct? Please tell me in what other home stadium in the NFL, college, anywhere do you think this actually happens? It's this perspective that's lead us to have a nonexistent home field advantage in the past decade.

From the sounds of it, you might be better off watching the games at home if you'd just like to sit quietly and watch the game like its an opera and are going to get bent out of shape about people really supporting our team during critical moments.

And that's fine, you're entitled to do what you please.

And this is about more than just one 80 year old, and you know it.

My point is it is selfish to only care about yourself and not about how your actions impact others. If you're going to be a selfish person thats fine, there's nothing the rest of us can do about it. It's no better than the drunks that think it's ok to get plastered and inconvenience everyone else either; we deal with them as well.

I just find it funny that somehow the fans that go to the capitals games have been able to figure it out yet the fans that go to the redskins games can't. They have a much better home field advantage than the redskins do, and they sit down. Go figure. Guess all that standing is doing a lot of good huh?

Semantic argument about hockey... so we won't go there.

However, I think it's selfish for an 80 year old man to want everyone in his section to sit so that he doesn't have to stand up or buy box tickets in the club level. I think it's great that he wants to come to the games... but lets be real. How do you differentiate?

I am 5 rows from the field, I am not the first row. The people in front of me stand, and therefore I stand. I have no problem with this. On occasion I may be the first to stand. As I said, it was not for the entire game. It was for pivotal times on defense when the crowd was trying to get loud. And the usher is trying to sit everyone. He even admitted, "I know I can't get everyone to sit, but it's my job to come down here and try". Meaning even he knows its ridiculous, but somebody higher up is thinking its a good idea to have everyone sit for the whole game.

Are you really trying to tell me that I am a selfish person because I am standing for certain parts of a football game? Not an egregious conclusion at all...

Standing during certain parts of the game is completely different than standing the entire game and you know it.

And I deduce that you're also saying that everyone at Fedex should be sitting for the entire game, correct? Please tell me in what other home stadium in the NFL, college, anywhere do you think this actually happens? It's this perspective that's lead us to have a nonexistent home field advantage in the past decade.

Where did I say they should sit the entire game?

From the sounds of it, you might be better off watching the games at home if you'd just like to sit quietly and watch the game like its an opera and are going to get bent out of shape about people really supporting our team during critical moments.

Ah yes, the "The only ways to watch teh game are to stand the entire time or sit quietly the entire time" argument. You clearly have never been to a capitals game. Maybe you should expand your stadium experiences a bit, see how other people behave. You might also want to consider the idea that the world is not black and white, and that often times in life you have more options than just 2 polar opposites.

---------- Post added October-3rd-2012 at 09:46 AM ----------

Semantic argument about hockey... so we won't go there.

However, I think it's selfish for an 80 year old man to want everyone in his section to sit so that he doesn't have to stand up or buy box tickets in the club level. I think it's great that he wants to come to the games... but lets be real. How do you differentiate?

I love how easily you dismiss the comparison to the verizon center, even though you're the one that started the thread about 'fan accountability' for the lack of home field advantage...

That's fine for you to think that. Again, it's about more than one 80 year old man and you know it. It's about the general fan intelligence of the people who attend fedex field. It's talked about in many threads, and used to reference many different types of fan behavior. This is just one type. You can get stuck on the 80 year old man comment if you want, that's fine; there's a much larger picture there if you decide you want to take a look.

These are the same fans that get ****faced and make it a very unpleasant place to bring kids. The same fans that scream and chant and yell while our offense is on the field. The same fans that can never seem to be in their seats by kick off. The list goes on and on and on. This is just one part of many that are causing a terrible 'fan intelligence' issue with the people who are currently attending the games. And they excuse it all by pointing out that they paid for their seats; as if the rest of us didn't, or that somehow entitles them to inconvenience the rest of us.

I love how easily you dismiss the comparison to the verizon center, even though you're the one that started the thread about 'fan accountability' for the lack of home field advantage...

because dude... the verizon center is smaller than FedEx... by a lot. You don't have to stand to see anything. You can sit down and see the game and then stand up when the team gets a goal. You also aren't required to make noise the whole time, nor is it really beneficial. Don't act like it's this great home ice advantage because it isn't. It's a fun venu - sort of... but it presents it's own issues as well.

That's fine for you to think that. Again, it's about more than one 80 year old man and you know it. It's about the general fan intelligence of the people who attend fedex field. It's talked about in many threads, and used to reference many different types of fan behavior. This is just one type. You can get stuck on the 80 year old man comment if you want, that's fine; there's a much larger picture there if you decide you want to take a look.

I am looking. How is it more important for an 80 year old man to burden an entire section than it would be for that 80 year old to stay home or to buy tickets to where he doesn't have to stand? How is that fair for the other fans who want to stand and make an impressive home field advantage?

These are the same fans that get ****faced and make it a very unpleasant place to bring kids. The same fans that scream and chant and yell while our offense is on the field. The same fans that can never seem to be in their seats by kick off. The list goes on and on and on. This is just one part of many that are causing a terrible 'fan intelligence' issue with the people who are currently attending the games. And they excuse it all by pointing out that they paid for their seats; as if the rest of us didn't, or that somehow entitles them to inconvenience the rest of us

Yeah, I started a thread a couple days ago about such fans, but I am not going to bash fans for standing up (on defense anyways). Don't be afraid to communicate to guys if you think they are out of line or a little over the top. It's all in how you do it. I speak to guys often about that. I'm not holier than thou about it, I just let em know, 'hey man, I think you should start drinking water now' or something like that. I don't disagree that there is a problem with over-endulgence in alcohol with some of our fanbase, but lord I think you are taking it to another level on some of these other issues.

You are the same guy who was kneejerk and called Lavar and Dukes to tell them you cancelled your tickets after the seat downsizing are you not?

I think that right there shows you need to take a few deep breaths before you act or say things. Relax... it worked for Frankie, brother.

because dude... the verizon center is smaller than FedEx... by a lot. You don't have to stand to see anything. You can sit down and see the game and then stand up when the team gets a goal. You also aren't required to make noise the whole time, nor is it really beneficial. Don't act like it's this great home ice advantage because it isn't. It's a fun venu - sort of... but it presents it's own issues as well.

You don't have to stand up to see anything at Fed Ex either, unless the people in front of you decide to stand. And they make noise the entire time at Verizon. It may depend on which games you go to since there are so many and their meaningfulness varies, but I've been to playoff games there and it's very, very loud.

I'm not sure why it's not a great home ice advantage?

I am looking. How is it more important for an 80 year old man to burden an entire section than it would be for that 80 year old to stay home or to buy tickets to where he doesn't have to stand? How is that fair for the other fans who want to stand and make an impressive home field advantage?

You're so hung up on the 80 year old man comment it's ridiculous. Try reading the rest of the posts.

Yeah, I started a thread a couple days ago about such fans, but I am not going to bash fans for standing up (on defense anyways). Don't be afraid to communicate to guys if you think they are out of line or a little over the top. It's all in how you do it. I speak to guys often about that. I'm not holier than thou about it, I just let em know, 'hey man, I think you should start drinking water now' or something like that. I don't disagree that there is a problem with over-endulgence in alcohol with some of our fanbase, but lord I think you are taking it to another level on some of these other issues.

Standing on a big play is different than standing during the whole game. The conversation started with people standing the whole game. Don't turn it into a 'we just stand sometimes' sort of thing because thats not in any way the same thing. I stand on big plays too, and have never said I have a problem with that.

I'm not holier than thou about it, I'm calling it what it is; selfish, dumb behavior by people in our fanbase who have proven they don't know how to behave at football games on many different levels. It's part of a problem. And people act like jackasses if you even suggest they don't stand the entire game. I'm not sure how many games you've been to over the last couple of years, but I've been to them all. It's common at EVERY single game. And it's never the season ticket holders who do it, at least not in the 3 sections I've sat in over the last 3 years. It's always some drunk ass hole who doesn't normally sit in the seats who thinks he's special and that the rest of us had never thought about standing before.

You are the same guy who was kneejerk and called Lavar and Dukes to tell them you cancelled your tickets after the seat downsizing are you not?

I think that right there shows you need to take a few deep breaths before you act or say things. Relax... it worked for Frankie, brother.

Yeah, I wasn't the only one either. It was the way the team handled it, knowing the way this organization runs things.

I didn't get them back until I talked to Tony WIley and he answered the basic questions we were all asking at the time.

Furthermore, this isn't a knee jerk reaction. This has been a conversation thats been going on for years on this forum. It's a very simple concept of not standing the ENTIRE game. You've been in the conversation before. What did you expect? How is this in any way knee-jerk?

Its not the standing on big third down plays that bothers most people. Its the lone wolves who feel the need to stand during 1st and ten plays when the Redskins have the ball at midfield, in the middle of a quarter; not inside two minutes when the game is on the line or there's a sense of urgency.

We've all had to deal with that guy at some point. There are way more of these guys than people who demand you sit the entire game.

You don't have to stand up to see anything at Fed Ex either, unless the people in front of you decide to stand. And they make noise the entire time at Verizon. It may depend on which games you go to since there are so many and their meaningfulness varies, but I've been to playoff games there and it's very, very loud.

Everytime I've sat in the lower level I've needed to stand up. Could just be where I sat, who knows? In the 400s, I don't have to stand, but I do because I want to. Honestly, it's not because I'm a big rah-rah guy, it's because I live in Fredericksburg and I am tired of sitting by the time I get there, lol.

You obviously have a very high opinion of Verizon, I've only been there a couple of times and I just don't think it's that awesome. Just like I'm not impressed with Nats park. Hey, I get it, maybe I'm weird. Maybe the "hype" for both places was a bit much and I just expected too much. I don't know. I am not saying I'd never go to either again, but I'm not as impressed with either venue as most are I guess.

You're so hung up on the 80 year old man comment it's ridiculous. Try reading the rest of the posts.

If you don't want to argue the point, then don't bring it up as an exhibit. I'll count that one as a win for DC9! Also bad form for bringing other venues into discussions about FedEx field... but you are all over the place already.

Standing on a big play is different than standing during the whole game. The conversation started with people standing the whole game. Don't turn it into a 'we just stand sometimes' sort of thing because thats not in any way the same thing. I stand on big plays too, and have never said I have a problem with that.

I'm not holier than thou about it, I'm calling it what it is; selfish, dumb behavior by people in our fanbase who have proven they don't know how to behave at football games on many different levels. It's part of a problem. And people act like jackasses if you even suggest they don't stand the entire game. I'm not sure how many games you've been to over the last couple of years, but I've been to them all. It's common at EVERY single game. And it's never the season ticket holders who do it, at least not in the 3 sections I've sat in over the last 3 years. It's always some drunk ass hole who doesn't normally sit in the seats who thinks he's special and that the rest of us had never thought about standing before.

I've been to them all too, save for a game or two where work interefered. And bro, I know the type, and these guys rarely last the entire game from my experience. It's sad, and I'm with you. I hope it changes. All I am trying to say to you is that I haven't had a problem with communicating with people who I think have a bit too much. And normally they are with a "referee" (as I like to call them anyways) who is there to keep them in line and you just find that guy and say what you need to. I've had one issue where it didn't work, and that was at the Jets game last year and it was a Jets fan. I had to call the security guys and they took care of it for us. I'm sorry if you don't have the same success/experience in your area and I'm not trying to imply that I could do better. But communication solves a lot of my problems and problems for other fans in my section.

Yeah, I wasn't the only one either. It was the way the team handled it, knowing the way this organization runs things.

I didn't get them back until I talked to Tony WIley and he answered the basic questions we were all asking at the time.

Furthermore, this isn't a knee jerk reaction. This has been a conversation thats been going on for years on this forum. It's a very simple concept of not standing the ENTIRE game. You've been in the conversation before. What did you expect? How is this in any way knee-jerk?

I think it's knee jerk for you to cancel your tickets because pics come out on the internet where your seats are gone before you or anyone else knew what was up. And to top it off, you called Lavar Arrington's show to get attention for it? How is that not knee-jerk? Especially when you got your tickets back...

I didn't do that. My brother didn't do that. None of my boys did that. You say you weren't the only one and I don't doubt that you weren't... but that's pretty knee-jerk.

Going back to that time I think I even said I supported you, because hey, why not? I am not saying it wasn't a bad move and you probably got a decent upgrade and you got to talk to TW, which is pretty cool... but that doesn't mean that it wasn't knee-jerk given the circumstances.

Anyone go to the VT-Cincy game last Saturday? I sat in row 27 of sec 121. on the 47 yard line, visiting sideline. We stood the entire time the VT D was on the field. We sat when the offense was on the field. We stood whenever a big play/TD happened. But on D, we stood and yelled the entire time the D was on the field. That is what Seattle does that creates the homefield advantage. That is what we did in RFK to create a homefield advantage. If the LL of FedEx stood and yelled the entire time the D was on the field, FedEx would have a homefield advantage. The opposing team would struggle in the huddle and they would have a hard time calling inaudibles inside 10 seconds o the play clock (you know, like Eli and Romo do constantly after diagnosing the D?). I understand not wanting to stand, I do. But in reality, standing and screaming is what CREATES the advantage. There is nothing wrong with expecting a crowd to stand whenever the D is on the field. We can sit during the offensive drives, TV timeouts, between quarters, and at half. That would be more than half the game sitting with a homefield advantage (because we would have the ball more than 50% of the game).

I don't want to call people out. I don't want to get in a pissing contest about fan etiquette. But go to a major CFB game. The fans STAND and YELL whenever the defense is on the field. And the yelling pauses briefly between plays. At FedEx, about 10% of the crowd is cheering the entire play clock, when the team is huddled and calling the play. The rest get involved as the play clock winds down. The stadium gets loud inside 10 seconds, and on 3rd and 4th downs. We need FedEx to be loud on 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th down from the moment the ball is spotted. We need to make it uncomfortable for the QB. Make it hard for him to hear the call, and harder still to relay the call in the huddle. It is my dream to one day attend an NFL game at FedEx and feel like I am attending a CFB game. FedEx was rocking in 2004 for the VT-USC game, and again for the VT-Boise St game in 2010. So to those saying that FedEx can't be a loud stadium, I call BS. The fans are directly responsible for the noise level.

DC9 - twisting the argument every which way you can, sidetracking whenever possible.

If you want to stand the whole game fine, be my guest. But don't hide from the fact that your behavior is selfish, own it.

Finally, thinking that just because you paid for your seat you're entitled to inconvenience others (who have also paid for their seat) says a lot about you.

Archived