Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

35 minutes ago, Chew said:

The anonymity of the interwebs and "not having to say it to somebody's face" has really emboldened the nasty people of the world.  :( 

One of the worst things about the internet is exactly this, people say stuff they wouldn't say in person then forget how to act in person eventually, too. De sensitizing relationships to ones and zeros instead of flesh and blood.

That's our own fault, though, not some box that can't count unless we tell it too.  Given society as we know it can't function without computers, we gonna have to adjust if we want to keep them from being more trouble them they're worth (which bad as it is, I don't believe we're at that point yet).

That's just my opinion, though.  First step in fixing a problem is recognizing we have one, thats where we are right now.

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

One of the worst things about the internet is exactly this, people say stuff they wouldn't say in person then forget how to act in person eventually, too. De sensitizing relationships to ones and zeros instead of flesh and blood.

That's our own fault, though, not some box that can't count unless we tell it too.  Given society as we know it can't function without computers, we gonna have to adjust if we want to keep them from being more trouble them they're worth (which bad as it is, I don't believe we're at that point yet).

That's just my opinion, though.  First step in fixing a problem is recognizing we have one, thats where we are right now.

Yep.  People get really bold when nobody knows what they look like or where they live.  Can you imagine @Dr. Do Itch Big talking to me the way he does in the RTT in person?!  He's dumb, but he's not crazy.  I say that with love. :806:  Honestly, though.  I think not having to deal with the fear or repercussions of one's actions plays a big role.  I bet most of the internet trolls out there wouldn't dare talk so much **** in person, because they know getting your nose broken hurts really, really bad. 

End of the day, it still takes people to type out their bull**** and press send.  Computers and smart phones with 24/7 internet access definitely makes being an asshole a lot easier, but humans are still the root of the problem. 

Going back thousands of years to when we first started traveling in groups and living together, I'm sure there's always been a small percentage of really crappy people within the human race, folks who get off on badgering others and like to see people irritated and angry.  But now these people have a voice via the internet & social media.  They don't have to leave mom's basement to make their hatred and intolerance known.  Or simply be an asshole and post GoT spoilers on social media because they think it's funny. 

2 hours ago, Chew said:

Wow, man.  What a blower.  And here I was with the idea that I'd kind of detach from social media at mid-March to avoid spoilers.  We're still months out and bam, folks are getting hit with the spoilers. 

We're to the point now (well, we've been there for a few years) where the internet and social media are starting to backfire on us. AOL Chat rooms in the late 90s when I was a teen, the dawn of Facebook when you had to have a college e-mail to join, the idea of being able to reconnect and stay in touch with family and friends, and meet new people, it was sooo friggin' cool.  Fast forward 15 years later and the internet, specifically social media is the #1 way to spread hatred, false information, and to extort and bully people.  Or in my man Sin's case, just to simply ruin someone's day by spoiling a show :(

The anonymity of the interwebs and "not having to say it to somebody's face" has really emboldened the nasty people of the world.  :( 

It was aggressive too. Like, so I don't even look at those sites. Dont even click them. In the newsfeed though, it wasn't even presented in a way where I could avoid it upon seeing it... Like "Hey, guess who dies horribly in Game of Thrones! Find out here!"

Instead it was like "Hey! [Insert Character] dies horribly! Click here to find out how!!!"

Damn terrorists

Honestly, I never reveal spoilers when talking about a movie or show. It's very easy for me to describe various scenes, and what I felt about it overall, without revealing anything integral to the plot.

But I would say 5 years, if you wanna talk about it openly. There's a lot of stuff I haven't seen in the last 10 years, and I'm still planning on  seeing it, so I generally don't participate much in certain conversations if I know a spoiler is coming. 

I've always seen it as a courtesy thing that isn't all that difficult.

Sometimes I plan to see it anyway so spoilers don't bother me, but there are exceptions.  Sometimes the twists are stupid, so I reserve the right to know in advance while not sharing it with anyone.  That's how my taking my little sister to infinity war went, she had no idea, but I already knew.

I will make a note... "Talking about it openly" does not include a conversation anongst people who have already seen it. If someone starts the conversation like "Hey man, what did you think of Aquaman? I thought was aight/Another person joins in with "Yeah I saw it too.  It was awesome," it is pretty clear there are no restrictions.

Just randomly talking about it openly though, when there is a remote chance someone overhearing it hasn't seen it, I'm more selective with my words

While I was on vacation, I was thinking about these two articles from the Washington Post, and I wonder how much of our nations obesity is caused by the combination of points made in these two articles. 

The first article is about why the fat-burning heart rate is a myth.  In the article, it notes

"At rest, fat constitutes as much as 85 percent of calories burned. That figure shifts to about 70 percent at an easy walking pace. If you transition to a moderate-effort run, the mix becomes about 50 percent fat and 50 percent carbohydrates, and it moves increasingly toward carbohydrates the faster you go."

So we actually burn fat best when we sleep.

The second article was about sleep deprivation.  Since 1942, the average amount of sleep Americans get has gone down by an hour a night.  In1942, we averaged 7.9 hours a night.  Now we are under 7. 

I was thinking about this while I spent a week in Jamaica drinking pina coladas and noting my shorts were looser despite how much I was drinking and eating desserts.  I do sleep more there.  I just doubt running 3 miles in the mountains rather than my comparatively flat 5 miles with dogs and stroller here would account for the weight loss.  Maybe sleep and less stress really are keys to my waste-line. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn newsfeed. Got hit with a GoT spoiler. I'll never understand why people go to such great lengths to ruin stuff for everyone else, because they have some kind of mental disorder when it comes to this sort of stuff.

So I guess you'd be mad if I told you who was going to win the Super Bowl ahead of time, eh

Because I've seen this scene before.

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So I guess you'd be mad if I told you who was going to win the Super Bowl ahead of time, eh

Because I've seen this scene before.

I have zero interest in this game, might be first one I straight don't even try to watch since steelers robbed the seahawks.  Im happy McVay made it, but I'm going to throw up if he wins and we still haven't won a playoff game since he left.  That's just cruel and unusual punishment

This Kid’s About To Get An Explosive Lesson In Using Fireworks Over A Manhole

A boy in China was lucky to escape with his life after playing with fireworks and triggering an explosion that ripped the sidewalk apart. 

Footage from the scene in Chifeng City in Inner Mongolia showed the boy either dropping one of the fireworks into a manhole or allowing the sparks to fall in. That ignited the methane gas trapped inside, causing the sidewalk to erupt.

Click on the link for the full article and video

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I have zero interest in this game, might be first one I straight don't even try to watch since steelers robbed the seahawks.  Im happy McVay made it, but I'm going to throw up if he wins and we still haven't won a playoff game since he left.  That's just cruel and unusual punishment

This is likely to be the first SB i've watched in 5 years.  I find the "changing of the guard" story line really compelling and I like McVay, think he's awesome, and don't hold it against him that Danny Snyder can't retain talent.  I also have a coworker 2 offices down that is a Pats fan and I am really hoping they get stomped.  :)

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

This is likely to be the first SB i've watched in 5 years.  I find the "changing of the guard" story line really compelling and I like McVay, think he's awesome, and don't hold it against him that Danny Snyder can't retain talent.  I also have a coworker 2 offices down that is a Pats fan and I am really hoping they get stomped.  :)

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it : )

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Given the state of the Skins, I may hop on the LA bandwagon until Snyder dies.

I dont blame you, I'm gonna see it out.  I've seen how quick the whole thing can fall apart with any franchise and honestly theres no telling how much longer this football thing will be recognizable.  If I retire, I'll retire a skins fan.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont blame you, I'm gonna see it out.  I've seen how quick the whole thing can fall apart with any franchise and honestly theres no telling how much longer this football thing will be recognizable.  If I retire, I'll retire a skins fan.

I'm already retired.  I'm looking to stage a comeback. 

Archived