Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

In targeted attacks, the goal is accumulation of data from different sources.  China is doing this with regularity to figure out who it can compromise for espionage purposes, why they went after OMB and now Marriot. The site has where we log in from even if we don't put our location in our profile for example.  The other thing is that without HTTPS, we were at risk for compromise in a way of people from anywhere replacing content on the site with malware, the type that can steal your cookies from other sites that you have tabs open...like your banking site.  This is also on the hopes that no one here uses their password for ES anywhere else, which I promise you isn't the case no matter what that number actually is.

Something hit me through here, compromised everything (because back then, my husband ONLY TRUSTED KASPERSKY). He apparently ain't the rocket surgeon he thought he was. 

But he took my whole computer down a year ago, been suffering with just a phone to get here. 

The https helps tremendously...but any good conspiracy theorists will keep thinking conspiracy thoughts. 

13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why the laughing pic?

Thanks for sharing though.  Since my bike only has room for one, I'm telling my wife I need to buy a new bike if she wants to go support veterans.  Or she could say no, because she doesn't care about veterans.

Wish me luck.

Because Rolling Thunder is the ****ing worst, and it’s hilarious that they are citing to a lack of cooperation from law enforcement, who bend over backwards for these people to the detriment of everyone else. Good riddance. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

My jaw is killing me

What'd you do?

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Because Rolling Thunder is the ****ing worst, and it’s hilarious that they are citing to a lack of cooperation from law enforcement, who bend over backwards for these people to the detriment of everyone else. Good riddance. 

I'm sure in 1987 things were different traffic-wise. In 2018, the last thing the DC area needs is someething to gum up traffic (esp on weekend) (esp on a long weekend).

He was grinding and grinning for 8 hours straight ... I miss those days. 10 plus pills, a room at the marriott and a really slutty submissive gf.

Wife "just so happened" to be on my laptop and just somehow accidently went through the maze of files to find the videos and made me erase them. The laptop is 15 years old, wont turn on anymore but I still keep it bc one day I imagine Im going to pay a guy money to try and see if they are still on the hard drive somewhere.

I am one pathetic loser.

49 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Top 3?  Can’t go there, but it’s pretty damn good.

I'd bet my top 3 isn't like other Metallica fans top 3.

And Justice For All

Master of Puppets

Hardwired to Self Destruct

My Next three

Kill'em All (okay maybe this belongs in the top 3 too..can I make it a tie?)

Ride the Lightning

Metallica (aka The Black album)

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd bet my top 3 isn't like other Metallica fans top 3.

And Justice For All

Master of Puppets

My Next three

Kill'em All (okay maybe this belongs in the top 3 too..can I make it a tie?)

Ride the Lightning

Metallica (aka The Black album)

Curious to hear your thoughts on Hardwired to Self Destruct making the top 3.  I think it's a good album but i can't put it in the top 3.

I think I'd go:

And Justice For All

Ride the Lightning

Master of Puppets

Black Album

Kill 'Em All (which isn't a knock against this album, I just think the complexity of the songwriting, lyrical topics and everything else is just better on the other albums.  There's a huge jump between Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning that's astonishing to me).

Death Magnetic

Load

Re-Load flip flop them, it doesn't even really matter.  I haven't listened to these in years.

St. Anger.  And I want to like this album, I want to REALLY like this album.  And given where they were as a band, it makes sense as to why it didn't work.  But Lars hitting a tin can for a drum, no face melting Kirk solos...the theory behind it, what Bob Rock said about it being like "a band playing in a garage, but this band is Metallica," is ****ing cool.  IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD.  

Metallica ranked:

RTL - Changed the game.  The epitome of American Metal.

MOP - A bit more polished than Ride.  I prefer “rawness”.  Still great.

Black - Changed the game again. Thrash + AOR.  It’s success will never be duplicated.

AJFA - Too long, too preachy, terrible production.  Still killer.

Death Magnetic - Great modern mid-tempo Metal.  Terrible production.

Garage Days - put a keg in the garage and call your stoner buddies!!

KEA - Kick-ass thrash/punk dirtbag Metal.  Bow to the Phantom Lord!

St Anger - it’s messed up and weird, but it took a lot of guts to release this.  The 4/5 songs that are good are REALLY good.

Hardwired - Competent Dad Metal.  Way too long and drags in spots.  Has 4 killer tracks.

Load - Pretty solid AOR hard rock effort.  Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn are awesome.  Great production (bass)!!

Reload - not much here

Lulu - Whatever

21 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Yeah I have no musical talent whatsoever so for me it's all feel when I listen to them or other artists. Hardwired just connects with me for some reason. The same way that AJFA and MoP and KA does.

I think the biggest question ever about Metallica is how they'd have treated the 90s if Cliff Burton doesn't die.  They went away from thrash, they tried to fit in.  I personally think they treat the 90s way different if Burton is still in that band.  He was a non-conformist, he didn't give a **** about fitting in, he just wanted to thrash and he was the guy they all really looked to for leadership.  They moved from SoCal to SF on his mandate.  They lost their way for a long time, only to slightly regain it with Death Magnetic and Hardwired.  I think if he lives, the Black Album, Load, Re-Load and St. Anger are all drastically different albums.  

@TryTheBeal!

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Is it just the traffic you hate?  I'm interested.  Never heard anyone not like it before.

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think the biggest question ever about Metallica is how they'd have treated the 90s if Cliff Burton doesn't die.  They went away from thrash, they tried to fit in.  I personally think they treat the 90s way different if Burton is still in that band.  He was a non-conformist, he didn't give a **** about fitting in, he just wanted to thrash and he was the guy they all really looked to for leadership.  They moved from SoCal to SF on his mandate.  They lost their way for a long time, only to slightly regain it with Death Magnetic and Hardwired.  I think if he lives, the Black Album, Load, Re-Load and St. Anger are all drastically different albums.  

@TryTheBeal!

Different?  Sure.  But heavier?  Unlikely.

Its fairly well known that Cliff was the most open-minded guy in Metallica, musically.  His tastes and influences were vastly more diverse than Lars/James.

http://loudwire.com/metallica-lars-ulrich-bands-cliff-burton-listened-to-tour-bus/

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is it just the traffic you hate?  I'm interested.  Never heard anyone not like it before.

Everyone I know here in DC hates it.  I think it's fine in theory if you live elsewhere.  In reality, for the people that have to actually deal with it, it sucks.  The traffic is a big factor.  The police literally shut down major roads - during rush hour - for this group because, I dunno, I guess they can't ride their motorcycles with other people?  Which is why it's so hilarious that they are shutting it down citing to lack of cooperation.  The whole ****ing region is accommodating as **** towards this group,  It's hall of fame level entitlement that they demand so much so these people can ride their little bikes and make their "patriotism" as conspicuous as possible

Also, a significant percentage of the participants are intentionally rude assholes while they are here.  They don't act like they are here to visit, they act like they are here to take over.  The people that live here want to enjoy the outdoors too during a long weekend in May, could really do without several hundred thousand old entitled tourists constantly gunning their engines for no reason other than to be dicks for the whole weekend. 

45 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Different?  Sure.  But heavier?  Unlikely.

Its fairly well known that Cliff was the most open-minded guy in Metallica, musically.  His tastes and influences were vastly more diverse than Lars/James.

http://loudwire.com/metallica-lars-ulrich-bands-cliff-burton-listened-to-tour-bus/

Yep, Cliff was the most open minded guy.  Doesn't mean he would have wanted to stray into what they became.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@TryTheBeal!

I think that's partially part of it.  The black album was the first shift from purely being thrash metal and it reached to a broader audience because of that switch, expanded their fan base.  Right after it was released in 1991, you have to remember that was right before the grunge scene exploded with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice N Chains (though Facelift came out in 1990), etc.

It was obvious with Load and Re-Load they changed their style again to not only fit in with the alt scene, but to extend their fan base which lengthens their careers.  Personally, I liked maybe a few songs off Load, didn't care much for Re-Load.  But, I did see them live in Charlotte, NC twice (1997 and 1998) after those albums dropped and sure they played some songs off Load and Re-Load, but they also played the songs that made them great.  

Great marketing strategy, imo, they appealed to two different genres (thrash metal/metal and alt). And the old school fans (like me and y'all), their concerts never disappointed, regardless of what their current album was.  I was in my early 20s for those concerts and it was a crazy mix of fans.  Old metal heads, young metal heads, preppy alt kids, emo kids, etc. 

Actually pretty cool, they have the set lists available for their concerts:

https://www.metallica.com/events/event-10265.html

https://www.metallica.com/events/event-10200.html

Edit:  And my top three are:

1.  And Justice For All

2. Master of Puppets

3. Ride the Lightning 

Kill'em All and Ride the Lightning at any time depending on how I feel can be swapped in and out of that 3rd spot.

7 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

^^^

I'm with Junior..

Metallica? Redneck noise man, redneck noise.

Give me some Motown, ya dig?

I have a pretty broad musical taste and like just about everything (hip-hop, rap, R&B, rock, hair band rock, alt, techno, thrash metal, heavy metal, grunge, etc.).  

I was listening to a dubbed copy of Eazy E - "Eazy Duz It" on a Sony Sport Walkman before you were born Junior ......  

Image result for sony sports walkman

Archived