Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

6 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

They do call it America's pastime. 

It was America's pastime. It no longer has the place in America that it used to, and its reflected in the American demographic s represented. A lot of the best players are not Americans.

4 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Or TGE?

I was thinking of the one with Dustin Hoffman.

The Magnificent Seven

Baseball hasn't been America's pastime since the invention of TV.

Baseball is boring as **** on the tube, whereas football is even better in many ways on TV - especially modern HDTVs - than in person.

The only reason we still have baseball is so NYers and Bostonians have another reason to hate each other, and so we can market cable TV to Central Americans...baseball blows.

3 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Yeah you notice how sports writers write about baseball; nostalgic, poetic, mythical.

But then sports like football, American football, basketball—sportswriters just write about how fun those sports are.

Thats because a large amount of them grew up on baseball, which (back then), was the sport in America.

Since then, the explosion in popularity of football and basketball, has greatly impacted it.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Baseball hasn't been America's pastime since the invention of TV.

Baseball is boring as **** on the tube, whereas football is even better in many ways on TV - especially modern HDTVs - than in person.

The only reason we still have baseball is so NYers and Bostonians have another reason to hate each other, and so we can market cable TV to Central Americans...baseball blows.

Meh, I love baseball, but it is kinda true that it is sort of a four way jerkoff between Yankees, Red Sox,  Mets and Cubs fans at times

Why is it that the typical job that requires no skill or training pays around 8 to 12 dollars an hour but if you try to hire someone off of Craigslist to do a similar job that requires no training their hourly fee is going to be much higher.

Example, my wife just had a friends daughter who is 21 years old come over to clean the house and her rate is 20 bucks an hour.

My wife said that was one of the lowest ones and that most were higher.

I mean even babysitters make more than minimum wage and unless it's an infant all you gotta do is watch tv and clean out the cupboards.

How is it that under the table work has come to demand such a high rate compared to over the table work where your take home is gonna be significantly less even at the same hourly pay?

Or is my wife just looking in the wrong places?

Because you are paying for short periods of time and not hiring someone. 

Example, I used to charge $125/hrs which if that was my full-time wage it's $250k per year (2000 hours), where that job as an employee might be $100k/year. 

I have to pay all taxes and I wasn't working 2000 hours per year either.

Self-employed people have to pay all FICA, and they might not be working 40 hours per week, and they don't get benefits so have to pay health insurance if not covered elsewhere, and no paid sick leave or vacation.

3 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Because you are paying for short periods of time and not hiring someone. 

Example, I used to charge $125/hrs which if that was my full-time wage it's $250k per year (2000 hours), where that job as an employee might be $100k/year. 

I have to pay all taxes and I wasn't working 2000 hours per year either.

Self-employed people have to pay all FICA, and they might not be working 40 hours per week, and they don't get benefits so have to pay health insurance if not covered elsewhere, and no paid sick leave or vacation.

Yeah i can see that.

Makes me wanna quit my job and clean houses under the table though.

Lol.

19 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why is it that the typical job that requires no skill or training pays around 8 to 12 dollars an hour but if you try to hire someone off of Craigslist to do a similar job that requires no training their hourly fee is going to be much higher.

Example, my wife just had a friends daughter who is 21 years old come over to clean the house and her rate is 20 bucks an hour.

My wife said that was one of the lowest ones and that most were higher.

I mean even babysitters make more than minimum wage and unless it's an infant all you gotta do is watch tv and clean out the cupboards.

How is it that under the table work has come to demand such a high rate compared to over the table work where your take home is gonna be significantly less even at the same hourly pay?

Or is my wife just looking in the wrong places?

I can't discuss this without making it a political discussion about minimum wage. 

Simplest, may be comparison, is contractors vs full time employees. Contractors make a lot of money in income, but not benefits. An employee may see a smaller paycheck but gets a lot of benefits. Cost to the employer of an employee is something like 2x of salary. So if you pay a contractor 150K year with no benefits, you're still coming out ahead instead of an employee that makes 100K salary but has another 100K in benefits (medical, PTO, retirement, disability insurance, parking, etc etc)

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Yeah i can see that.

Makes me wanna quit my job and clean houses under the table though.

Lol.

My wife's aunt does that. She's booked solid for the whole year. We tried to get a house cleaner and most are booked solid too. The only one we found to hire was one who charged too much. 

1 hour ago, youngchew said:

Ugh...those burnout fails/accidents compilations are so difficult to watch.  I couldn't imagine being the driver after you jumped a median and hit somebody. The ebmarrasament.  FYL.

Reminds me of some of those SoMD motorcycle clubs that try to stunt in the summer on 301, doing epic wheelies and standing on the seat, or recklessly weaving in and out of lanes (nearly hit one of them once, at night... Guy was in all black, bike included, and flew past me out of nowhere right as I was about to change lanes)

Would not hesitate for a second to "accidentally" run them over if they messed up and fell off the back

1 minute ago, clietas said:

Festivals and bands needing to offer payment plans just seem ridiculous. 

I've gotten old.

Yea I couldn't believe there was a payment plan option...WTF

My buddy's dad works for the Del Mar fair grounds so there is a chance I could get some discounted passes...I wanna see Muse and Ice Cube

17 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The crotch rockets on the Beltway in PG County are pretty reckless. I always expect to see one smushed on the road sometime.

I've seen several near misses over the years. Arrogant pricks.

I have zero sympathy for them if they end up as chef boyardee under a semi. The DMV is not the place for those 

Archived