Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Indulge me for a moment.

It has been a long time since I've worked out.  Over a year at least since I've done anything more than middling yard work.

Put up a pull-up bar this week and I can still do five in a row. #sickbrags #feelsgood

My goal is to be able to do a muscle-up one day.

35 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Pffft...you think Shakespeare could come up with Hop on Pop, or Green Eggs and Ham....I think not:P

Fun Fact:  Dr. Seuss wrote “Green Eggs and Ham” on a bet that he couldn’t write a book with fifty or fewer distinct words.

The bet was made in 1960 with Bennett Cerf, the co-founder of Random House, and was for $50 (about $382 today).  Despite Dr. Seuss, a.k.a. Theodore Geisel, winning the bet by producing one of his most popular works Green Eggs and Ham using exactly 50 unique words, Cerf never paid up.   Green Eggs and Ham went on to be Geisel’s best selling work, so he made out on it anyways.

Link

I'm confused. And I want to clear it up instead of jumping straight into starting ****.

Is dyke an acceptable term? Cause the only time I ever hear it casually used anymore is when I'm listening to Sirius's old school hip hop station Backspin (Snoop on "**** wit Dre Day" for example.) Googled "prison dyke" to see if that had somehow slipped past me but all I basically got were YouTube and Live Leak videos that are a few years old. And some articles about Jason Van Dyke going to prison. Googled the word dyke and that was as I expected. So can someone clarify? 

3 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

I'm confused. And I want to clear it up instead of jumping straight into starting ****.

Is dyke an acceptable term? Cause the only time I ever hear it casually used anymore is when I'm listening to Sirius's old school hip hop station Backspin (Snoop on "**** wit Dre Day" for example.) Googled "prison dyke" to see if that had somehow slipped past me but all I basically got were YouTube and Live Leak videos that are a few years old. And some articles about Jason Van Dyke going to prison. Googled the word dyke and that was as I expected. So can someone clarify? 

I would say that it is not an acceptable word to describe a lesbian woman.  

9 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I would say that it is not an acceptable word to describe a lesbian woman.  

Unless you are a lesbian woman who is misgendered as a dyke, then it seems to be an acceptable term even to the most sensitive socially aware people I could find.

And even while I could tell I was being misgendered as a dyke, it still affected me emotionally as a trans woman. It brought up all the old insecurities and internalized cissexism I told myself I’d already dealt with. It wasn’t until I hung out with other dykes, and told them about my situation, that I started to get reassurances I actually found reassuring.

“Bro, I get called sir at least once a day when I leave my house. It’s not you.”

“It’s only because we’re new dykes. The old dykes out there give zero ****s.”

“It’s part of being visible, you’re like a Rorschach test. You get the best and the worst.”

“It’s because we used to be femme, so we think any bull**** from being butch is our fault.”

“Straight people don’t know how to handle dykes. Sometimes I think they say ‘Sir’ because they’re so scared they don’t know what else to do.”

Other queer people were also able to offer more helpful consolation. One cis gay boy made me smile saying, “I get called ma’am all the time because I’m too pretty. So clearly you’re too handsome for your own good.” This reminded me misgendering is something a lot of people face, not just those of us who intentionally screw with gender norms.

http://the-orbit.net/transandgodless/2016/03/28/sir-misgendered-as-dyke/#more-728

19 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Like any word,  it depends on your company. 

Archived