Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Nobody that's been married 50 years should ever divorce

I don't necessarily agree with that, but I don't really agree with pj's approach either.

On the other hand, people don't generally go around suggesting their parents should divorce, so I'm assuming pj knows some things we don't.

On the other other hand, there's the diaper rule.  Once people have changed your diaper, they probably don't want your advice on love or money.

iX9tVuR.gif

42 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I don't necessarily agree with that, but I don't really agree with pj's approach either.

On the other hand, people don't generally go around suggesting their parents should divorce, so I'm assuming pj knows some things we don't.

I'm just saying. As a kid I witnessed the absolute worst of what can happen in marriage/relationships. 

I think that if things are so bad that a couple should get divorced, they would get divorced, particularly after however long PJ and his sister have been out of their care. 

I think most couples that are together for that long def have moments where it would appear they couldn't give a piss about each other. But that doesn't mean its true.

I just wish my parents were still together, and unless it was an abusive relationship, I would've tried my damndest to keep them together, cause the alternative sucks. It really does.

49 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I have a situation going on.  Maybe I'm projecting.  It was my parents 50th wedding anniversary Saturday. I did not plan anything and my sister and I, while still talking only when we are at family events, rarely speak, so nothing was planned.  I didn't wish them a happy anniversary, because in my opinion (and I've told them this before) that I thought they should have divorced a long time ago.  I did get them a card and I was going to give it to them today.  I thought they would want me to come over today for labor day, but I haven't heard anything from them.  I think they are mad at me.  I ended up going to our neighborhood BBQ at the pool.  I'm not sure what to make of this. I really think they are mad at me. 

Not enough information, but if you aren't sure, just go over there.

My Dad was an alcoholic for most of their marriage.  My Mom has filed for divorce a couple of times only to change her mind.  It was a volatile marriage a lot of the years with a tons of arguing (mainly him coming home drunk and starting fights), got a little physical sometimes (pushing and shoving, no hitting) and threats.  As far as I know, no intimacy for probably close to 30 years.  They belittle each other sometimes and I can feel the tension when I'm over there.  Yeah, I think they've made it this far, they shouldn't divorce now, but I thought they should have years ago. I think they still care for each other, but I don't see "love" like you might for people in their early 70s that have been together that long.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Divorce is ugly.  Even though I understand why they did it, it still pulls on my heart 30 years later.  Denied a traditional childhood.

Same with my wife.  So hopefully that means we never put our kids through that.

It shapes a child's life. I know it has for me. Not only was the divorce ugly though they're cool nowadays) but they each found two of the worst people imaginable afterwards. 

I didn't say it recently.  It was said a few years ago.  I can't tell them what to do and I'm glad he stopped drinking and I'm glad as they get older, they have each other around.  I just feel like even though it was a "milestone" anniversary, I just don't think a big deal should have been made because of how the marriage has been.  But again, I'm projecting without hearing anything from them.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It shapes a child's life. I know it has for me. Not only was the divorce ugly though they're cool nowadays) but they each found two of the worst people imaginable afterwards. 

I'm cool with the people that my parents found after the divorce.  I hated my step dad at first and for a long time.  It was hard for me, as a child, that he was with my mom and not my father.  I deeply wanted them to reconcile their differences.

My father went on unmarried for a good 15 years after.  He moved from city to city.  Back to Nova and away.  Breaking my young heart every time he moved away.  Eventually he met another woman and moved to SF and has been there for somewhere around 15-20 years.  I see him every once in a while and we keep up on the phone and skype.

In fact, most of my best friends have parents who are divorced or separated.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Why, what's his deal?

He just all over the place.  Talking Dead, the Breaking Bad talk show, the FTWD talker.  Now he has some late night show on Conedy Central.  He hosts the podcast The Nerdist which is one of the most popular podcasts out.

33 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Amazing day. Only left the house once. Took a nap midday. Woke up, house was spotless. Hit the gym...twice. About to hit the gym again. 

Haha. Doesn't sound amazing to my crippled ass. Starting Day 9 stuck indoors because of my broken leg.

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I didn't say it recently.  It was said a few years ago.  I can't tell them what to do and I'm glad he stopped drinking and I'm glad as they get older, they have each other around.  I just feel like even though it was a "milestone" anniversary, I just don't think a big deal should have been made because of how the marriage has been.  But again, I'm projecting without hearing anything from them.

My grandparents died not speaking to each other for the last decade or more of their lives. My mom and aunts, when they fight won't speak to each other. Never lasts that long but parents teach kids how to fight and be angry. 

Imm all for divorce if it's irreconcilable at any stage. But my grandparents were in the old country. They lived in a small town all their lives, where were they gonna go?

Archived