Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

It would be a simple feature of a web form to pick a default country for you based on your IP address. And yet, on an English language website, you are usually presented with an alphabetic list of at least a hundred countries with USA and UK near the bottom and Afghanistan at the top.

Seriously, what percentage of visitors to an English language website are going to want to pick Afghanistan as their country of birth.

Instead of doing a little web coding, it's much more sensible to send out a live investigator every time there's an error due to their poorly designed form.

How does that drop down menu work anyway? Are they mostly templatized features you can download off the web?

I have that issue with our engineers here—everything is function, function, function and if you ask them to redesign to improve usability they look at you like you're some primadonna. Yeah, it has to work, but now that it works let's make it better.

LOL, guy was stupid for posting pics of his wife in a thread that had nothing to do with that, it was in a Stadium thread. Hey, I'm glad the guy is proud of his wife and all but he posted them directly from his image shack page where he had signed up with his real name.

Moco was like, you have a nice house and lawn Mike (or whatever his name was). Guy freaked out.

If I'm not mistaken, he had all his pics available to the public and anyone with an Imageshack account. Zero attempt to conceal his privacy. His wife was pretty hot though, props to Mike......

tumblr_mn639rlMJq1riyisso1_500.gif

*goes to check if various accounts are set to private*

How does that drop down menu work anyway? Are they mostly templatized features you can download off the web?

I have that issue with our engineers here—everything is function, function, function and if you ask them to redesign to improve usability they look at you like you're some primadonna. Yeah, it has to work, but now that it works let's make it better.

Many folks would just take the HTML from somewhere else - like this: http://www.textfixer.com/resources/dropdowns/country-dropdown-country-html.txt with 244 rows.  :lol:

There's often a big difference between functional requirements and use cases (or the user experience). Maybe your engineers aren't getting the specifications they need.

Redesigning because the software does what you asked them, but not what you want, is frustrating for them, and expensive for you.  :)

Looks like I won't be in the Stadium today. My pure, seething, hellish hatred for people who blatantly disregard running backs will cause me to jump in the **** of people I've considered friends for a very long time.

Disregard as in, don't appreciate what we have and want to bring in FAs or draft one? 

The majority of drop downs that I see that make you pick a country usually have US, Canada and UK at the top and then it's alpha afterwards. Not sure why that wouldn't be the norm.

Would take someone maybe ten seconds to implement. Who has that amount of time.

Disregard as in, don't appreciate what we have and want to bring in FAs or draft one? 

It's more the Shady McCoy stuff now. Before it was in regards to Adrian Peterson, and Alfred Morris to a lesser extent.  It's amazing to me that people seem to want to figuratively put a bullet in the head of two of the greatest RB's in the last 15 years, for no other reason than "They're just running backs".

**** like that will cause me to go out of character, which is rare. Thats one of my irrationality triggers, so my response would be totally not rational.

Jim Brown wasn't "Just a running back"

Barry Sanders wasn't "Just a running back"

Walter Payton wasn't "Just a running back"

OJ Simpson's crazy ass wasn't "Just a running back"

Gale Sayers, Thurman Thomas, Emmit Smith, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis,  Earl Campbell, LaDainian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson. None of them were "Just running backs." They were the heart and soul of their teams, and it really does (I'm seriously not joking) piss me off that people these days just **** all over it.

You can find running backs, sure, but you absolutely cannot just pluck a Shady, AP, or Beast Mode out of a tree. I can't stand the way this league is going.

I think Sin is talking about that subset of "fans" who think RB's are overrated and that true offenses will pass 60 times a game.

Well, those fans are stupid lol.  You have to have a running game and backs that can pass protect.  I don't think our concern is at the RB position, I think Almo is a fine back.  I think Helu is a good complementary back to Almo and good receiving back.  

I also like Silas Redd as our third option.  I don't think teams are going to be knocking down the door for Helu, bringing him back would be the most likely scenario.  I don't think we should draft one, but ain't gonna cry about it if we do (in late rounds).  Biggest question for me is, can we afford a big name back (AP, Bush, Spiller - if released, etc.), right now, with all the other positions of need?

Me going over the list of things that tend to bother me in The Stadium and bout that moronic sentiment in general...

f_b1d7a3b094.jpg

Sin, I mean it's totally understandable man. Our glory years were totally built on a shoddy O-Line, with a solid never changing franchise QB, and averaging 75 passes a game.

Well, those fans are stupid lol.  You have to have a running game and backs that can pass protect.  I don't think our concern is at the RB position, I think Almo is a fine back.  I think Helu is a good complementary back to Almo and good receiving back.  

I also like Silas Redd as our third option.  I don't think teams are going to be knocking down the door for Helu, bringing him back would be the most likely scenario.  I don't think we should draft one, but ain't gonna cry about it if we do (in late rounds).  Biggest question for me is, can we afford a big name back (AP, Bush, Spiller - if released, etc.), right now, with all the other positions of need?

Bush's durability isn't worth the asking price imo. I think Helu walks, and Redd/Thompson battle it out for #2 RB. Wouldn't shock me if we drafted a guy in the 3rd or 4th though

Well, try Sin's idea anyway...

Sometimes you have to.... swallow, your pride

Edit, forgot to add.... Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis. Definitely not "Just running backs"

It's more the Shady McCoy stuff now. Before it was in regards to Adrian Peterson, and Alfred Morris to a lesser extent.  It's amazing to me that people seem to want to figuratively put a bullet in the head of two of the greatest RB's in the last 15 years, for no other reason than "They're just running backs".

**** like that will cause me to go out of character, which is rare. Thats one of my irrationality triggers, so my response would be totally not rational.

Jim Brown wasn't "Just a running back"

Barry Sanders wasn't "Just a running back"

Walter Payton wasn't "Just a running back"

OJ Simpson's crazy ass wasn't "Just a running back"

Gale Sayers, Thurman Thomas, Emmit Smith, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis,  Earl Campbell, LaDainian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson. None of them were "Just running backs." They were the heart and soul of their teams, and really does (I'm seriously not joking) piss me off that people these days just **** all over it.

You can find running backs, sure, but you absolutely cannot just pluck a Shady, AP, Beast Mode out of a tree.

Shady is a top 3 back, Bills won out huge on that trade.  AP though I worry about, mostly the price tag and all the off-field drama that would still linger, granted he is a hell of a back.  I think he has a few years left in him, but I'd imagine he is going to want to go to an actual contender.

You're right though, those backs are extremely rare and valuable when you hit on them.  

Same people dismissing backs are the same ones that selectively forget we rode Portis to the playoffs under Gibbs II.  It sure as hell wan't the stellar play of Mark Brunell and his cannon/rocket arm.

Archived