Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

They actually really help you hear the show BETTER believe it or not

Believe it. I used to cover my ears at gogo concerts, you could hear each individual instrument a lot better that way. Especially the drums

Oh there's no doubt that earplugs help differentiate different sound sources. I used to play in bands and we'd always use ear plugs when we practiced...not for volume reduction but for sound clarity.

Oh yeah. Y'all were smart for that. Especially in a small room type scenario. Plus, it's not like guitar players and vocalists have a tendency to turn their amps up regularly if they feel like something is getting louder than them :P

I play the drums better with earplugs in. Not because I sound terrible, but because the dampened sound I hear motivates me to hit the drums harder. Kind of the same effect as when you say something to someone when you're listening to music in earphones, you say it all loud because your subconscious mind wants you to be heard over the music. Then the person you're talking to is like, "you don't have to yell!"

Same thing. My drums sound quiet so I subconsciously add extra Bonham in my playing.

That's a huge reason why a lot of bands are turning towards using IEMs (In ear monitors) on their gigs nowadays. Doesn't take too many nights standing in front of a monitor wedge blaring at you to start looking for better options lol. Which ends up being awesome for us sound guys because you've then pretty much eliminated all stage noise, which gets rid of most feedback, makes your mixes better since you don't have your keyboard player hearing excess stuff from the guitar wedge etc., and makes the load out easier because you don't have to lug eight extra speakers into the truck.

We used to practice in a basement studio with 4 enormous PA towers in there. Couldn't hear **** if me the keyboard players were messin with the 808 lol. the flippin' bass made my vision blurry.

I play the drums better with earplugs in. Not because I sound terrible, but because the dampened sound I hear motivates me to hit the drums harder. Kind of the same effect as when you say something to someone when you're listening to music in earphones, you say it all loud because your subconscious mind wants you to be heard over the music. Then the person you're talking to is like, "you don't have to yell!"

Same thing. My drums sound quiet so I subconsciously add extra Bonham in my playing.

That's a slippery slope though. The more you take that angle the more you tend to lose focus on your dynamic range, which then kinda limits some of your ability to create ambient effects with your drums. Not saying stop playing with plugs in. Keep doing that. Just try and focus a little less on playing louder and a little more not letting the earplugs eliminate the variance in volume in how you hit your drums and cymbols to your advantage. Just my advice.

I wish I could play some sort of music. Unfortunately I was gifted with the ability to make superior mixtapes so thats what I focus on

You got anything new? Shoot me something bro, I need some new music

That's a slippery slope though. The more you take that angle the more you tend to lose focus on your dynamic range, which then kinda limits some of your ability to create ambient effects with your drums. Not saying stop playing with plugs in. Keep doing that. Just try and focus a little less on playing louder and a little more not letting the earplugs eliminate the variance in volume in how you hit your drums and cymbols to your advantage. Just my advice.

It's not about playing louder as much as it injects a strength in to my technique. I feel sharper, a lot more precise and confident. It's retrained my drumming muscles, improved my technique overall, I feel even more dynamic. Used to stink with the brushes, now I can play some mad coffeehouse ****.

The earplugs/headphones also make it less of a bombastic experience, which helps me to concentrate and get a feel for the other instruments.

People still think I'm a weirdo and give me **** for wearing earplugs at concerts. I'm always like, "Trust me, you'll wish you had. It's gonna get loud in here."

Then after the show it's not me walking out trying to rub all the ringing out of my ears.

I do the same thing. Hate the ringing for days.

Oh okay. Carry on then. I initially read that as you basically saying "Earplugs = quiet = me beat drums loud." lol

I was like WHOOOAA lol Little less Travis Barker and a little more Dennis Chambers

Dennis Chambers is powerful as ****, lol. I get what you're saying, but when Dennis revs it up it's frightening. Power, speed, technique...he's one of the most ferocious drummers of all time. He can bring it down to a whisper though, which is always funny.

11 years ago today, the #Redskins landed RB Clinton Portis (@TheRealC_Portis).

Damn time flies.

So did he. Then He had to be Gibbs' power back because this franchise is ****ing retarded. And even then, its a testament to his skillset that he was able to literally transform his game and still be an elite RB. One of my most favorite players ever.

Dennis Chambers is powerful as ****, lol. I get what you're saying, but when Dennis revs it up it's frightening. Power, speed, technique...he's one of the most ferocious drummers of all time. He can bring it down to a whisper though, which is always funny.

Not to mention having SERIOUS chops. One of my favorite drummers of all time.

But that was the point. When he's ripping, he's playing with power, but when he's at that level he stays at that level. All of his changes in power are with a purpose. He's consistent. Dude can play one song 100 times and have it sound the exact same 100 times straight. Doesn't let that momentum throw off his consistency. That was kinda where I was going. But like I said, that was more when I was responding under the wrong impression of your initial statement lol.

So did he. Then He had to be Gibbs' power back because this franchise is ****ing retarded. And even then, its a testament to his skillset that he was able to literally transform his game and still be an elite RB. One of my most favorite players ever.

Straight up work horse. I'll say I was a little irritated with all of the behind the scenes stuff with him, Zorn, and Snyder. But it didn't take away from the fact that he was a beast. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't have been able to get at least one or two more years in had he not had his knees run into submission during the Gibbs years. I always said during that time that I would've liked to see him share more carries with Betts.

Archived