Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Two job offers, both customer service positions, which one do you take?

1) $12/hr, full benefits, located 5 minutes from where you live

2) $36k/salary, full benefits, hour and a half commute one way

#1, and its not even close.

spending 3 hours commuting every day is going to poop on quality of life.

Yah, the easy thing without thinking would be to go with 2(, but you have to factor in commute stress, bad weather, gas money, car repairs, rental cars, etc, and when you crunch the numbers, it aint worth it.

You get overtime? If so, then it's even better IMO. I have a ladyfriend in the Air Force who lives like 10 minutes from Andrews in Upper Marlboro, and she absolutely loves it. If you ask me, half the battle of the daily work grind is the soul sucking DC area traffic. I make around 35K, and I commute from Germantown to Bowie, down 270 (aka Hells Highway) and then on to 495. I don't complain when I see the check, but that drive just takes so much out of me. 

If you have a family to support, then that decision becomes harder, but if its just you, go with option 1 and don't look back. Being that close to work is a huge advantage. Plus since you're so close, you'll be able to get in more Z's.

Driving doesn't phase me. Got a hybrid so gas isn't a huge issue. And I drive so much already anyway. Car is a year and a half old and already have close to 60k miles on it. The commute for #2 would take me 66 to 495 to 270. Would probably drop the money to use the EZ Pass. I think you hit on something big at the end though, the zzz's. An extra hour a day would be huge.

Jeff in Rockville who calls shows on WJFK is the biggest prick on the planet.

His tweeter feed proves it.

https://twitter.com/JeffNRockville

I don't know how you listen to that station period. Outside Nats and Wiz game broadcasts, the entire station is just horrible.

Driving doesn't phase me. Got a hybrid so gas isn't a huge issue. And I drive so much already anyway. Car is a year and a half old and already have close to 60k miles on it. The commute for #2 would take me 66 to 495 to 270. Would probably drop the money to use the EZ Pass. I think you hit on something big at the end though, the zzz's. An extra hour a day would be huge.

Well then if the driving isnt a problem, then I would go #2. I'd sacrifice some Z's for more $$. I can't wait until I'm 50, and only need like 4-5 hours of sleep.

Rough calculations, there's basically a $9,000 difference in take home pay (after taxes and all that). Even with a hybrid, I wonder how much I would save on gas. Any guesses anyone? Let's say I get 40 to 45 mpg. And how much money would you sacrifice for another hour or two of sleep every night? How much would you sacrifice to not deal with traffic at all?

Edit: changed the difference in take home pay from $7 to $9,000.

Rough calculations, there's basically a $9,000 difference in take home pay (after taxes and all that). Even with a hybrid, I wonder how much I would save on gas. Any guesses anyone? Let's say I get 40 to 45 mpg. And how much money would you sacrifice for another hour or two of sleep every night? How much would you sacrifice to not deal with traffic at all?

Edit: changed the difference in take home pay from $7 to $9,000.

All I know is 45 mpg to me is like waking up in heaven. I'm roughly sitting at 14 mpg with my Rodeo.

So you're talking 48 weeks out of the year (not including vacation). Lets say you spend $ 100 a week on gas (counting commute/leisure, etc. That's $4800 a year on gas, leaving you $4200  left over, not counting car repairs. So about $4200 would be the actual amount when you take commute into account with #2

My wife commutes an hour and a half to work every day. She hates it. Gets up at quarter to 6 every morning and usually doesn't get home til around 6:15 or so. She essentially has a 12 hour day/5 days a week.

I think I've talked about this before on here, probably the roughest job I've ever had was with White House apples. They have (or had, I assume it's still there but idk) an apple sauce factory in Winchester, VA. I had to take the job, had no choice (and those of you who know my history can probably imagine why). The factory ran 24 hours so you could pick one of two 12 hours shifts: 5AM to 5PM or 5PM to 5AM. I had the day shift...oh my God. You got an hour for lunch so 11 hours working the belt, making sure the bottles of Apple sauce were boxed up correctly. Bottles would break my hands so I'd be bleeding all day. Just absolutely horrible. Made me realize why communism was so popular 100 years ago (when most jobs were like this). And the funny thing was, I was working with/next to these little Hispanic girls. I'm sure they were all illegal but whatever. 5 foot nothing, 90 pounds and they put me to shame. They were like robots, just knocking **** out boom boom boom. Meanwhile I'm bleeding out, feet and knees feeling like they're about to collapse and gasping for air. I was in the military and I've had some absolute **** jobs over the years so I don't consider myself even remotely soft. But man... $10 an hour too.

Worked there for a month, some stuff happened and I got to go home, back to Gainesville (at that time). I still needed a job so I figured I'd keep working at the factory until something better came up. Went once and never went back. Left at 3:30 in the morning. Got home at 7 that night and that **** just wasn't going to happen.

All I know is 45 mpg to me is like waking up in heaven. I'm roughly sitting at 14 mpg with my Rodeo.

So you're talking 48 weeks out of the year (not including vacation). Lets say you spend $ 100 a week on gas (counting commute/leisure, etc. That's $4800 a year on gas, leaving you $4200 left over, not counting car repairs. So about $4200 would be the actual amount when you take commute into account with #2

So is $4,200 worth an extra hour or two of sleep a night? Is it worth not dealing with traffic at all? That is the question. What say you?

I think I've talked about this before on here, probably the roughest job I've ever had was with White House apples. They have (or had, I assume it's still there but idk) an apple sauce factory in Winchester, VA. I had to take the job, had no choice (and those of you who know my history can probably imagine why). The factory ran 24 hours so you could pick one of two 12 hours shifts: 5AM to 5PM or 5PM to 5AM. I had the day shift...oh my God. You got an hour for lunch so 11 hours working the belt, making sure the bottles of Apple sauce were boxed up correctly. Bottles would break my hands so I'd be bleeding all day. Just absolutely horrible. Made me realize why communism was so popular 100 years ago (when most jobs were like this). And the funny thing was, I was working with/next to these little Hispanic girls. I'm sure they were all illegal but whatever. 5 foot nothing, 90 pounds and they put me to shame. They were like robots, just knocking **** out boom boom boom. Meanwhile I'm bleeding out, feet and knees feeling like they're about to collapse and gasping for air. I was in the military and I've had some absolute **** jobs over the years so I don't consider myself even remotely soft. But man... $10 an hour too.

Worked there for a month, some stuff happened and I got to go home, back to Gainesville (at that time). I still needed a job so I figured I'd keep working at the factory until something better came up. Went once and never went back. Left at 3:30 in the morning. Got home at 7 that night and that **** just wasn't going to happen.

So is $4,200 worth an extra hour or two of sleep a night? Is it worth not dealing with traffic at all? That is the question. What say you?

When you put it like that, I'd take the extra money, especially when you consider that the amount you are left over with after the long commute, may still be more than the amount you save up by going with #1,especially when you factor in the reduced income with #1. But I'm too much of a peace of mind cat at the moment. I'd rather take a powerdrill to the temple rather than sit in traffic for an extended period of time.

#1, and its not even close.

spending 3 hours commuting every day is going to poop on quality of life.

Gotta agree with chew on this one. If you can support yourself on $12/hour, take the shorter commute.

Actually, that sounds a lot like the job I'm chasing right now. It's taking forever for them to get back to me. I hate, HATE being in limbo like this, especially because they keep saying it's a matter of "when" not "if."

I got a feeling that's not the case.

As for driving costs - you really probably should use something closer to the IRS 2013 rate of 56.5 cents per mile for business miles driven.

It factors in all the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile.

That is a HUGE difference doing it like that. I was figuring I'd use roughly two gallons a day on gas for the commute. That's $7 a day. Doing 56 cents a mile comes out to $56 a day. So...that can't be right. Or are you just saying use 56 cents a mile for tax purposes? Even if I factor in EZ Pass and tolls or whatever, that's still just $12 a day

That is a HUGE difference doing it like that. I was figuring I'd use roughly two gallons a day on gas for the commute. That's $7 a day. Doing 56 cents a mile comes out to $56 a day. So...that can't be right. Or are you just saying use 56 cents a mile for tax purposes?

I'm saying that the IRS figures it costs 56.5cents per mile in fixed and variable costs for the invidual. It's probably on the high end, especially for fuel efficient vehicles...but it's something to consider when you do the calculations.

Two job offers, both customer service positions, which one do you take?

1) $12/hr, full benefits, located 5 minutes from where you live

2) $36k/salary, full benefits, hour and a half commute one way

Dependso on your situation (family, obligations etc) and need (money).

Communiting isn't as bad as many people think because many people waste a lot of time lounging around.  And I'm assuming that isn't your long term solution so it could be good for a short period of time.

The normally hour commute from Falls Church to Potomac at 5 PM took about 2 hours today. 495 was basically slower than a snail from Leesburg Pike to River Road  :lol:

Stupid rain. 

You can do it!

I can. 

I just say Excuse me now at the grocery store instead of moving by without a word

Not that it would be the deciding factor or anything, but another element is job #2, the salaried position an hour and a half away, has no dress code. Just dress casual all week. So that's nice. And I'd probably save $30 or so a week from no dry cleaning bill.

So you'll be comfy in traffic? :lol: I'm looking at a similar situation...more money is farther from home.  Sucks. 

*White House plant in all it's glory.* :P Wow. 

Archived