Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

90s music

ThePackisback

That original playlist was put together by a legit crazy person who should be under constant surveillance.

Also, that Blessed Union of Souls' song is secretly one of the ten worst rock songs ever recorded and may represent the absolute moment when "alternative" radio jumped the shark.

I mean, my god...

She likes me for me
Not because I sing like Pavorotti
Or because I'm such a hottie
I like her for her
Not because she's fat like Cindy Crawford
She has got so much to offer
Why does she waste all her time with me

2 hours ago, clietas said:

My favorite band is still Phish.

Oh dear god...…...

59 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Man, that's something that I also miss from the 90s...just raw, hardcore hip-hop. Doesn't seem to be as much of it around nowadays. Way too overproduced and plastic sounding.

I mean, Hip Hop is 40 years old now. If it follows rock's trajectory, it probably has one more gasp of reinvention in it and then it's just going to be copies of copies for the rest of eternity.

There were arguably 4 times in rock history where large record labels lost control temporarily. Unsurprisingly, those are generally the 4 best periods in rock history.

1963/1964

1967/1968

1977/1978

1991/1992

I think you can also throw 1982/1983 in there because of MTV but that:

1. Feels more like the gatekeeper changing and,

2. Had more influence on pop music than rock music, which were not the same thing at the time. I mean, Toto, Foreigner and Journey were still the go-to acts of that era while weird British and Australian glam acts were coming out of the woodwork on the pop side.

Regarldless, "best music eras" always come down to the same factor of "best SNL cast." What was going on when you were 17?

I tried with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. I really did. I feel 50 people tried to get me into them when I was in college, and it just never took. At the end of the day, I still like hooks, and I never found a hook in one of their songs that did anything for me.

That's actually always been my issue with jam bands. I can tolerate the Allmans, because they at least seemed to keep some hooks in their jams. The Dead, Phish, whoever else is in that ilk....it always sounded like endless tuning to me.

Foo Fighters- Learn to Fly: I would have bet money on this being a 2000s song

Bonnie Raitt- Something to talk about: I would have bet money on this being an 80s song. Also, I liked Bonnie more when she was drunk.

Blessed Union of Souls- Hey Leonardo (She likes for me): Worst song of the decade?

Will Smith- Miami: I have a huge soft spot for Will Smith the clean rapper. I think this songs works better in 15 second increments during a sports broadcast than on the radio.

Pearl Jam- Last Kiss: I owned this CD single. This was to help someone in Europe for something, I believe. The 90s were a time for giving to causes and stuff.

Eagle Eye Cherry- Save Tonight: This period of endless one-hit wonder alt rock bands is secretly terrific. You could have told me that Dishwalla recorded this and I would have believed you.

Genesis- No Son of Mine: I received the CD this song came from as a Christmas present my senior year of high school and I have no earthly idea how this happened.

Backstreet Boys- Quit playing games with my heart: They had good pop songs.

Madonna- Ray of Light: This album might secretly be the most important album of the 90s.

Jon Secada-Just Another Day. This may be the perfect "listen at work" song.

Janet Jackson- Together Again: I have no memory of this song.

Spin Doctors- Two Princes: I met Chris Barron once. Super nice guy. This song was fabulous the first 25,000 times I heard it too.

Ill argue that late 90’s hip hop was much better than early 90’s.  DMX, Busta Rhymes, Wu Tang Clan, OutKast, Eminem, etc.  The mid-late 90’s when hip hop really started to catch its foothold on music.  Every Friday we got a new, great album.

Its because I was in high school in the late 90’s.

I liked early 90s stuff but I think it really nosedived about 1995. 

IMO the only Grunge bands worth listening to were the Seattle Four.  And maybe STP (though they were a bit of a copycat themselves) 

One thing I can say is that the 90s were probably best decade for hip hop.  Dre, Snoop, B.I.G.,  Warren G w/Nate Dogg, Tupac, Coolio, etc.

Favorite five year era, for all genres, is probably about 1978-1983.   And I turned 17 in the mid 90s so LKB's theory doesn't apply to me

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I liked early 90s stuff but I think it really nosedived about 1995. 

IMO the only Grunge bands worth listening to were the Seattle Four.  And maybe STP (though they were a bit of a copycat themselves) 

One thing I can say is that the 90s were probably best decade for hip hop.  Dre, Snoop, B.I.G.,  Warren G w/Nate Dogg, Tupac, Coolio, etc.

Favorite five year era, for all genres, is probably about 1978-1983.   And I turned 17 in the mid 90s so LKB's theory doesn't apply to me

I would argue that would made the Seattle bands good is the simple fact that they had little in common. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were basically metal. Pearl Jam was more "hard rock," I guess (more blues-based). And Nirvana was a punk band. Send wave grunge was basically everyone either aping Nirvana's soft-loud vibe or having lead singers that sounded like Cornell and/or Vedder. (Hello, STP!!!)

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

And “nu Metal” was dope.  I still rock Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot and all that ****.  **** you.

You're basically Hitler, you know.

19 minutes ago, clietas said:

So Spin Doctors and the Backstreet boys are acceptable but Phish isnt? Uh huh.... 

I respect bands that get in and get out. Unless you're Bob Dylan, stay under 5 minutes.

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Tool was one of my favorite late 90s bands. After Aenima though they kinda got a bit too much into the long ass jam song thing for me so I tuned out a bit. But Undertow and Aenima were both amazing albums. 

I like Lateralus prolly as much as Aenima these days. Saw them last year at the ol Patriot Center. Still one of my favorite bands.

I hate when Screaming Trees gets left out of the conversation of Seattle bands from that era. Such a great band. 

Who wants to hear the band I was in? 2 girls, 3 guys, kind of punk I guess. That's where most of our roots were. I was lead guitar. Not embedding because it's the whole album. We kind of sucked! Check it out! Youtube link

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't get the damn link to start at the beginning. I see I have 2 more views since I originally posted. Rocketing up the charts again! 

Archived