Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**The Official 2018-2019 Winter Weather Thread**

Chew

Yeah, I've only been driving since 2005 (I'm 30), but this seems like a Perennial Pro Bowl botch, if not an All Timer.

Add to that MoCo' s super was taking his/her merry time deciding when to finally close schools. Was already on the road, and nearly got wiped out by a bad driver on the way back

Easily over 6” at my house, and sleeting still. Can’t open the storm door on my deck. Ride home was surprisingly easy, until about 2 miles from my house. Neighborhood was a DISASTER. Had to put the truck in FWD to keep from sliding all over the place trying to drive. Now power is flickering...

We had a confluence of factors work against us this past weekend. We lost power from midnight Thursday until 3 PM Saturday. For the past two weeks we got steady rain which made the ground really soft. Then on Thursday we got freezing rain/sleet for most of the day and it hovered above and below freezing all day. To make things worse, leaves had not fallen off the trees yet, which caused the rain and ice to accumulate on leaves and branches—which made them really heavy. Then Thursday night into Friday we got about six inches of wet snow and branches started snapping off and trees were tipping over. 

We dashed for a hotel and bunkered up for the weekend. 

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. We've gotten a whole bunch of rain, leaves are still green, and we all know about ATL and precipitation. This winter has me freaking out just a bit. 

I'll probably be worried until it's 80 degrees again. 

Edit, add: sorry you had to go through all that, El. Back to normal now? 

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. We've gotten a whole bunch of rain, leaves are still green, and we all know about ATL and precipitation. This winter has me freaking out just a bit. 

I'll probably be worried until it's 80 degrees again. 

Edit, add: sorry you had to go through all that, El. Back to normal now? 

More or less. Kids are off their routine, had to throw away some food but thankfully nothing worse (knock on wood). We're sleeting again today.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:08 PM, Renegade7 said:

Watched Winter Projection on NBC4 the other day, said no snow expected until January.  Watched NBC4 last night and they said not to expect snow tomorrow morning.  If they say Godzilla is heading to Tokyo, I'm looking outside at the Potomac until he shows up there.

Weather lady for 103.5, on that snow day, had the nerve to say "Just like we told ya .... winter mix .."

No lady, yesterday you clearly said possible winter mix in Shenandoah valley and parts north. At no time did you mention accumulation for us around DC.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:43 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

I pub-crawled Charlottesville on Saturday night in 30 degree weather.  Had a bomb dinner, caught a Fleetwood Mac cover band and everybody got laid.

But now I have a terrible cold.  I hate winter.

chemosis.jpg

this was the Fleetwood Mac  hook-up.....    but he blames it on winter.   

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Any resident meteorologists have a lean on this? I'm in Loudoun County and would love a legitimate snowfall.  

I haven’t bothered looking because all the local professionals have been saying the storm goes south.

Maybe nova gets lucky?  I’ll probably have a look tomorrow.  For now I’m expecting not much of anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived