Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Counterpoint: Coaches have seen both in every OTA, workout, meeting, training camp practice, and every snap on game day. If they keep one over the other, I'm sure they have a good reason.

Coaches may know more about football than us fans.

That has no merit, I mean were unpaid professionals that can clearly see what the paid guys can't.

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Counterpoint: Coaches have seen both in every OTA, workout, meeting, training camp practice, and every snap on game day. If they keep one over the other, I'm sure they have a good reason.

Coaches may know more about football than us fans.

These coaches? 

Not sure people ever stop and do the math on this thing. By tomorrow at 4pm, there will be approx 1,185 players released and available to sign wherever they want. 

For thise 1,185 players in theory there will be zero roster spots available leagewide as every team will be down to their max. 

Read that again: 1,185. Of those, only a VERY tiny fraction are likely to draw enough interest from teams that would be willing to cut someone that just made the team in favor of adding one of the 1,185. Now sure, it will happen— SOMEONE (or maybe even a handful of someone’s) will get cut and wind up on an active roster week one. But we are talking way less than 1% most likely. 

Of the 1,185 somewhere around 350 will be able to land jobs on practice squads— the majority of those coming from teams they played for in pre season for obvious reasons. 

This notion that teams will be scrambling to find gems released by other teams just doesn’t really hold any water. 

As attirtion sets in and injuries or ineffectiveness mounts then some opportunities will gradually begin opening for guys— especially veterans who have some experience. But this is a numbers game that most certainly does not favor the guys getting bad news over the next several hours. 

1 minute ago, kleese said:

This notion that teams will be scrambling to find gems released by other teams just doesn’t really hold any water. 

I think it does.

Just look at our own team, and certain positions have log-jams such that we are bound to cut someone we'd really like to fit back in and keep, and hence, some other team must feel the same, and the only difference is that they have room for him.

That's all it takes is for one team to have a logjam or a surplus at one position, while another team, for whatever reasons, ended up with a deficit at that position, due to injuries, etc. And I'm sure that process gets repeated numerous times.

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think it does.

Just look at our own team, and certain positions have log-jams such that we are bound to cut someone we'd really like to fit back in and keep, and hence, some other team must feel the same, and the only difference is that they have room for him.

That's all it takes is for one team to have a logjam or a surplus at one position, while another team, for whatever reasons, ended up with a deficit at that position, due to injuries, etc. And I'm sure that process gets repeated numerous times.

Agreed. I'm not saying teams are super successful at it. But there are a number of guys that got cut early in their careers and then turned into Pro Bowlers like James Harrison and Wes Welker. And while that's an extreme long shot to find someone that good, finding a viable player is for more probable. It's still a crap-shoot. But everyone's looking and checking

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think it does.

Thats the thing though, teams WON’T have room for anyone. In order to add, they will need to subtract someone they just decided was deserving of making their team. 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

And those subtractions happen often.

Do they though? I’d like to see some numbers on that. I’ll stick with my less than 1% statement. I can’t think of many guys added to Redskins roster for week one after they made cuts and PS signings. 

7 minutes ago, kleese said:

Thats the thing though, teams WON’T have room for anyone. In order to add, they will need to subtract someone they just decided was deserving of making their team. 

52 players were claimed on waivers in the NFL last September, 47 of which were claimed before Week 1. So yeah, teams are claiming guys. The vast majority right after cut down day. Waiver claims by date (cut down day was 9/2, meaning the first wave cleared on 9/3)

9/27 - 1 player

9/20 - 1 player

9/19 - 1 player

9/14 - 1 player

9/13 - 1 player

9/10 was Week 1

9/8 - 1 player

9/6 - 1 player

9/4 - 3 players

9/3 - 42 players

http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=9&transactionYear=2017&transactionTeamAbbr=

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

Do they though? I’d like to see some numbers on that. I’ll stick with my less than 1% statement. I can’t think of many guys added to Redskins roster for week one after they made cuts and PS signings. 

T.J. Clemmings was claimed just last year. Duke Ihenacho in 2014

21 minutes ago, Jericho said:

52 players were claimed on waivers in the NFL last September, 47 of which were claimed before Week 1. So yeah, teams are claiming guys. The vast majority right after cut down day. Waiver claims by date (cut down day was 9/2, meaning the first wave cleared on 9/3)

9/27 - 1 player

9/20 - 1 player

9/19 - 1 player

9/14 - 1 player

9/13 - 1 player

9/10 was Week 1

9/8 - 1 player

9/6 - 1 player

9/4 - 3 players

9/3 - 42 players

http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=9&transactionYear=2017&transactionTeamAbbr=

T.J. Clemmings was claimed just last year. Duke Ihenacho in 2014

Good numbers, based on my estimation of how many guys get cut... looks like around 3% of cut players get picked up after cut day; I was thinking around 1% or less. 

Is there anyway to know of those 42 how many actually made the active roster week 1... meaning not one of the 6 or more inactive guys but actually suited up? 

9 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Tampa Bay cut Charles Sims... I thought he had some talent but anyone know what happened to him?  Why is he getting cut?

(1) injured; and (2) he was a free agent this season and no one wanted him before he re-signed in Tampa. So the league doesn't hold him in that high regard. But he's probably a decent player when healthy

5 hours ago, kleese said:

Not sure people ever stop and do the math on this thing. By tomorrow at 4pm, there will be approx 1,185 players released and available to sign wherever they want. 

For thise 1,185 players in theory there will be zero roster spots available leagewide as every team will be down to their max. 

Read that again: 1,185. Of those, only a VERY tiny fraction are likely to draw enough interest from teams that would be willing to cut someone that just made the team in favor of adding one of the 1,185. Now sure, it will happen— SOMEONE (or maybe even a handful of someone’s) will get cut and wind up on an active roster week one. But we are talking way less than 1% most likely. 

Of the 1,185 somewhere around 350 will be able to land jobs on practice squads— the majority of those coming from teams they played for in pre season for obvious reasons. 

As attirtion sets in and injuries or ineffectiveness mounts then some opportunities will gradually begin opening for guys— especially veterans who have some experience. But this is a numbers game that most certainly does not favor the guys getting bad news over the next several hours. 

Teams have 90 man roster.

Trimming it to 53.

37 guys will get cut.

32 Teams

= 1184 players exactly.

Practice squad spot: 10

Teams: sill 32.

= 320 Practice squad spots.

So that was just to make your theory exact, since I second that theory. Coaches and fans always fear that our preseasons and training camp wonders are not gonna clear waivers, but that's true for almost every team.  Some guys will get signed to the team (like Stefan McClure like year) only to get cut a few days after because w'll sign X or Y vets that got cut elsewhere... Our 53 will be stable come monday or tuesday, but hardly before.

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could you edit the first post with each cut, for an ongoing list in that one place.

It would make it a lot easier for people, than sifting through the thread, for a complete update.

That's the plan... was gonna limit it to just redskins cuts tho

Archived