Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Greg Stroman CB Virginia Tech

PCS

I'm sure I'm off on a tangent here (shocking, eh?) but IMO Stroman's value ought not be looked at for his skills as a CB or size as a negative, but what we could REALLY use would be a dynamic "Who TF is THAT" kinda return man, a la Devin Hester. The kid has skills, good hands, quick moves, fluid hips, seems to read blockers, etc., yeah, coach his azz up for CB but somewhere along the line see what he might be able to do returning kicks. He's had some in college, let him get a taste of that in the pros, get that psychological buzz from doin' it against the bigs and see him fly.

The way Stroman ran that interception back for a TD against Georgia Tech reminded me of Darrell Green.  Although short, Stroman, similar to Green, has a long, smooth running style.  Green's running style was so long and smooth that he didn't appear to be running as fast as he was.

One can dream of a Darrell Green 2.0 can't he? ;)

It's weird to me that people keep pointing to the kid's weight as some huge knock.  Does anyone realize that he weighs exactly 1 pound less than the number 4 overall pick in the draft, Denzel Ward?

Greg Stroman - 5' 11", 182 pounds

Denzel Ward - 5'11", 183 pounds

Ward is definitely the better player, but if Stroman's only glaring negative is his lack of size, I think we're in pretty good shape.

P.S. I know "frame" matters as well, but when I look at both players they both seem to have the same frame from what I can see.

It's not weight, it's not that he's short - It's the slightness of his frame. How much muscle can he put on and can he take the hits?

Someone posted a photo of Kendall Fuller earlier arguing their similar builds, look at the size difference in the calves, knees and quads/hammy's. 

30 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

It's not weight, it's not that he's short - It's the slightness of his frame. How much muscle can he put on and can he take the hits?

Someone posted a photo of Kendall Fuller earlier arguing their similar builds, look at the size difference in the calves, knees and quads/hammy's. 

I'm really not seeing much of a difference in frame between Ward and Stroman.

denzel-ward-29fc0e7b22b1158d.jpg

vs

5820deb911352.image.jpg

If he's playing slot corner, he's usually going against a smaller slot receiver, so size shouldn't be an issue.

If it's returning kicks that you're worried about, if Brandon Banks could do it, he can.

Also, someone was comparing his similar running style to Darrell Green.
Then also compare his bigger frame to Green’s, which makes size a non-issue.

In other words, "S'all good man, Stroman !"

latest?cb=20120704065846

11 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's weird to me that people keep pointing to the kid's weight as some huge knock.  Does anyone realize that he weighs exactly 1 pound less than the number 4 overall pick in the draft, Denzel Ward?

Greg Stroman - 5' 11", 182 pounds

Denzel Ward - 5'11", 183 pounds

Ward is definitely the better player, but if Stroman's only glaring negative is his lack of size, I think we're in pretty good shape.

P.S. I know "frame" matters as well, but when I look at both players they both seem to have the same frame from what I can see.

Fred Smoot was 5'11" and 172 pounds. I feel like the size issue is overblown. For a nickel back, his size is fine. A third CB these days is basically a starting player. There is a ton of positional value there. If we had chosen him in the second, I could see being worried about his size and value for his draft slot. In the 7th, he's a straight up steal. He's got the stats to back it up,VT has a history of putting out solid NFL players in the secondary, and we have a secondary coach that really seems to maximize the talent of his players. 

On 5/20/2018 at 3:17 AM, volsmet said:

Thats simply not correct. Stroman is breaking before the QB has even looked in his direction. Thats not a timing pattern, thats a QB fooled by coverage who threw an awful pass, very late, without any confidence, because he felt he needed to get rid of it. It was as grotesque a play as a QB can make, it was a gift to Stroman, a win for Bud Foster. 

It couldnt be more obvious, Frazier simply made an awful pass. Timing? The QB winds back up & throws a half hearted pass to a WR that has stopped. Look at the stills, look at the footwork, its just embarrassing QB play. Stroman is quick & made a fine play, but you are mistaken with your analysis. It wasnt a confident throw, it wasnt a timing route, it was a lost QB who didnt get away with an egregious error. Stroman is breaking on it before the QB winds up a 2nd time with his slow release, it looks like a pick6 before this QB even looks in Stromans direction.

QB play gets no worse:

The Wr didnt stop, Stroman beat him to the point of the ball and made an athletic play, which was my original point.  He made a read on the route and broke on it.  Ill advised throw or not, Stroman made a play.  I saw it as a timing play, but you may very well be right.  Watching his head it appears to be his 3rd read which would contradict my point of that.  I'm not too big to admit I was wrong.  The hesitation may have come from an apprehension to throw the ball because Stroman had made a play and sniffed out the route.  The point I was trying to make was in regards to his football instinct and his athletic ability.  Both were on display on that play.  He read the route, broke on it, and beat out a bigger WR to make a play.  Bad qb play or not, the point still holds that he made a good play.  

On 5/19/2018 at 7:04 PM, Silvernon said:

Think the expectation internally is that the future CB1 was drafted in Moreau, but otherwise a first round corner next year becomes almost as likely as NT was this year.

Yeah I agree with you.  Moreau could lock up the no. 1 spot for the future this year if he shows out.... I don't know that Dunbar has that ability, so I'd imagine they want to keep him at no. 2.   Well, SORT of no.2 because we don't generally deviate from Left CB and Right CB.  

On 5/19/2018 at 7:04 PM, Silvernon said:

Think the expectation internally is that the future CB1 was drafted in Moreau, but otherwise a first round corner next year becomes almost as likely as NT was this year.

Would much rather we use a first rounder next year on either EDGE, S or QB. 

Do we expect Norman to walk next year?

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Would much rather we use a first rounder next year on either EDGE, S or QB. 

Do we expect Norman to walk next year?

I would think so, but who knows? Some of that decision may be based upon the play of Dunny and Moreau. As of now, I would think that the 2019 CB team would be Dunny and Moreau on the outside and Stroman/Holsey in the slot. I would be nice to see all of them play well and play often this year.

20 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm really not seeing much of a difference in frame between Ward and Stroman.

denzel-ward-29fc0e7b22b1158d.jpg

vs

5820deb911352.image.jpg

Simmie will be able to tell us ig there are any noticeable distinctions between the two.

Ro1oyY.gif

9 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

The Wr didnt stop, Stroman beat him to the point of the ball and made an athletic play, which was my original point.  He made a read on the route and broke on it.  Ill advised throw or not, Stroman made a play.  I saw it as a timing play, but you may very well be right.  Watching his head it appears to be his 3rd read which would contradict my point of that.  I'm not too big to admit I was wrong.  The hesitation may have come from an apprehension to throw the ball because Stroman had made a play and sniffed out the route.  The point I was trying to make was in regards to his football instinct and his athletic ability.  Both were on display on that play.  He read the route, broke on it, and beat out a bigger WR to make a play.  Bad qb play or not, the point still holds that he made a good play.  

Yeah I agree with you.  Moreau could lock up the no. 1 spot for the future this year if he shows out.... I don't know that Dunbar has that ability, so I'd imagine they want to keep him at no. 2.   Well, SORT of no.2 because we don't generally deviate from Left CB and Right CB.  

All sincere form of discussion is a win imo; if I did not respect your views, I wouldn't bother wasting your time. I have not posted a great deal, but I have read the board for many years & I respect your opinions/insights immensely. It is the time you invested in breaking Stroman down that encouraged me to look at him more closely myself. That one play is insignificant, but having now looked at more of his clips, Im more excited about his potential to make an impact for us. When people like yourself keep discussion engaging, more people, like myself, will gain simply by paying attention -- whether we agree or disagree with a specific point is of no consequence -- what is of some consequence, as a member of this site, is you getting people to look more closely & offering everyone here the opportunity to discuss the thoughts you took the time to share. Thats the kind of thing that makes this place so uniquely enjoyable.

Httr

13 hours ago, volsmet said:

All sincere form of discussion is a win imo; if I did not respect your views, I wouldn't bother wasting your time. I have not posted a great deal, but I have read the board for many years & I respect your opinions/insights immensely. It is the time you invested in breaking Stroman down that encouraged me to look at him more closely myself. That one play is insignificant, but having now looked at more of his clips, Im more excited about his potential to make an impact for us. When people like yourself keep discussion engaging, more people, like myself, will gain simply by paying attention -- whether we agree or disagree with a specific point is of no consequence -- what is of some consequence, as a member of this site, is you getting people to look more closely & offering everyone here the opportunity to discuss the thoughts you took the time to share. Thats the kind of thing that makes this place so uniquely enjoyable.

Httr

:cheers:

Yeah buddy.  A board of people who all agree on everything is boring!   We're all fans, short for fanatics, so we're going to be passionate about our opinions regarding something we all care so much about.  Thank you for the kind words.  It means a lot to hear that kind of stuff on a public forum.  

I'll admit freely also that when it comes to Stroman I've got a personal investment.  My wife used to work with his mom.  That of course pushed me to follow his game even more this past season, and root hard for him.  I've never met him, never even talked to him, but from everything I can gather, he's a good dude, and watching his success in football is cool to see.  It's a minor personal connections, but one that's cool to link yourself to.  I would have passively followed him had we not been the team to get him, but since he came here, hes borderline man-crush territory.  :)

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

:cheers:

Yeah buddy.  A board of people who all agree on everything is boring!   We're all fans, short for fanatics, so we're going to be passionate about our opinions regarding something we all care so much about.  Thank you for the kind words.  It means a lot to hear that kind of stuff on a public forum.  

I'll admit freely also that when it comes to Stroman I've got a personal investment.  My wife used to work with his mom.  That of course pushed me to follow his game even more this past season, and root hard for him.  I've never met him, never even talked to him, but from everything I can gather, he's a good dude, and watching his success in football is cool to see.  It's a minor personal connections, but one that's cool to link yourself to.  I would have passively followed him had we not been the team to get him, but since he came here, hes borderline man-crush territory.  :)

My uncle used to coach at VT, I always have a bit more interest in guys from schools he used to coach at. The fact that your wife knows & worked with the person who brought him into this world is a very interesting & much more personal connection than most will ever have with a guy the Redskins draft. This team is like family to many of us, so when they add a person you have some connection to, its nearly impossible not to feel more invested in how they do. Heck, knowing your partner in this world knows his mom makes Me root for him even more. 

Here's hoping season one is the first step in a long career in Washington for Stroman. Few things reveal more character than displays of empathy & humility - your enthusiasm for the son of Mrs Stroman & humble responses within a disagreement display each. The internet is a place where, too often, ugliness prevails. A person can pose as anyone on the internet, it is too rarely a place where our better selves are revealed. The world could use more OVCs.

otvvjeulc53p.gif

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

My uncle used to coach at VT, I always have a bit more interest in guys from schools he used to coach at. The fact that your wife knows & worked with the person who brought him into this world is a very interesting & much more personal connection than most will ever have with a guy the Redskins draft. This team is like family to many of us, so when they add a person you have some connection to, its nearly impossible not to feel more invested in how they do. Heck, knowing your partner in this world knows his mom makes Me root for him even more. 

Here's hoping season one is the first step in a long career in Washington for Stroman. Few things reveal more character than displays of empathy & humility - your enthusiasm for the son of Mrs Stroman & humble responses within a disagreement display each. The internet is a place where, too often, ugliness prevails. A person can pose as anyone on the internet, it is too rarely a place where our better selves are revealed. The world could use more OVCs.

otvvjeulc53p.gif

Man it's dusty in here... 

Thanks bud,  I try to keep things light and not get too wound up into the points of things.  I like to hear peoples perspective, and actually implant myself into their points to see if it is something that I hadn't truly thought of... that's how I learn, and see things from different angles.  Except Cowboy fans, I'll never understand those people.... very odd decision making.  

I didn't see this posted already. Pretty good breakdown of Greg's abilities. You see the guy has great skills. He is just undersized. Tackling is not great. But he would not be the first guy to overcome size to be competitive. I am pretty certain they drafted him for STs with any CB play being a bonus. But he may get some playing time sooner than later at CB. Very smart. Great instincts. His rapport with Torrian will certainly not hurt him. 

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I didn't see this posted already. Pretty good breakdown of Greg's abilities. You see the guy has great skills. He is just undersized. Tackling is not great. But he would not be the first guy to overcome size to be competitive. I am pretty certain they drafted him for STs with any CB play being a bonus. But he may get some playing time sooner than later at CB. Very smart. Great instincts. His rapport with Torrian will certainly not hurt him. 

*Greg Stroman is a Former High School QB...

2 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

We seemed to have good luck the past few years with VT corners

Kyshoen and Fuller were great. Hopefully Stroman is good for us as well. I really like our corner coach and think he can do some great things with this kid.

Gotta wonder. Is it the scouting department finding late gems in the secondary, the position coach being one of the best or a combination of the two. 

19 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

We seemed to have good luck the past few years with VT corners

Kyshoen and Fuller were great. Hopefully Stroman is good for us as well. I really like our corner coach and think he can do some great things with this kid.

I think it's also got something to do with Bud Foster and that defense.  That defense has always worked.  D. Hall was another VT product that played for Foster.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/football/article_c5dd296f-9b17-5edd-9059-79d910724938.html

As he’s discovered, the DBU tradition has evolved into a unique part of Tech’s fabric, spawned partially from 10 All-American defensive backs in the last 18 seasons and 24 DBs drafted in the last 19 years .

Archived