Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

Football is a contact sport.  Injuries are part of the game. With that, it's bad when you lose a top draft pick that has natural ability.  I hope he takes his rehabilitation seriously.  Maybe he'll come back and have some good years.  Now there's nothing more to talk about here. Just have to come back to the revisit Guice next year. 

SUCKS to lose Guice, but now someone besides Thompson has to step up.  Even if Guice had been healthy, they still need others to contribute.  Every team has a stable of RBs.  Bibbs showed flashes last year and Perine needs to start doing something else other than fumbling the football.  One other thing, people around here need to stop acting like the sky is falling just because Guice got hurt.  Football is a contact sport and injuries DO happen and will continue to happen.  This team will survive without him.

32 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

SUCKS to lose Guice, but now someone besides Thompson has to step up.  Even if Guice had been healthy, they still need others to contribute.  Every team has a stable of RBs.  Bibbs showed flashes last year and Perine needs to start doing something else other than fumbling the football.  One other thing, people around here need to stop acting like the sky is falling just because Guice got hurt.  Football is a contact sport and injuries DO happen and will continue to happen.  This team will survive without him.

Team will survive I agree -- I think the greater question is will they thrive? 

I agree with what's being said right now on 106.7 which is we will see what Alex Smith has because it puts a greater burden on the passing game.  I don't have much faith that the same running back group that brought the 30th ranked running game last year is going to to produce a big U-turn turnaround.  But you never know. 

I think for Perine I am giving him somewhat of a break because it was his rookie season.  Hopefully he picks up this year.  I am not a Kelley guy.   I like what I've seen from Bibbs.   My pessimism is more driven by the combination of Guice and Thompson (as opposed to isolating purely on Guice) -- didn't love hearing Thompson say doctors tell him he won't be back to form until November and that he still feels pain when his leg receives contact.  If that's overplayed and Thompson is cool all season -- then I think they'd manage.  Don't love the idea of both Guice being out and a non-100% Thompson.  So for me right now, its about Thompson. 

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bibbs -- the dude has good hands, elusiveness.  Please make the team now.  :)

Bibbs is a poor man's Chris Thompson. I like that, and hope he makes the team with Chris, but he just doesn't strike me as the durable back we need. Kelley is a power back who has no power. I'm not willing to give up on Samaje after only 1 year, but I'd hate to ride him as the workhorse of the bunch, or to have no workhorse at all.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bibbs -- the dude has good hands, elusiveness.  Please make the team now.  :)

33 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

It could be Bibbs' job to lose.

I'd love to have Bibbs, but we seem to have an over-abundance off 3rd-down backs : Thompson, Marshall, Bibbs, etc, and not enough quality 1st & 2nd down backs to carry the ball.

So, unless he can show something new, and prove he can perform the latter, I don't think his chances of making the team are any greater, now that Guice is out of the picture.

19 minutes ago, TK said:

Black magic, virgin sacrifices, & the Dark Side of the Force. 

Is that all? I could see maybe a team or two passing on him for that stuff but not sliding all the way to the end of the 2nd round! No way that would have been enough to scare off the Bengals for example. They’ve already got three defensive starters who participated in virgin sacrifices while they were in college. That sort of thing is seen as an innocent youthful indiscretion nowadays as long as you can tote the rock.

16 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Bibbs is a poor man's Chris Thompson. I like that, and hope he makes the team with Chris, but he just doesn't strike me as the durable back we need. Kelley is a power back who has no power. I'm not willing to give up on Samaje after only 1 year, but I'd hate to ride him as the workhorse of the bunch, or to have no workhorse at all.

I should just deal with Kelley because if you judge it by the beat guys, not only is the dude making the roster, he's likely the starter.  Marshall seems a slam dunk.  Thompson clearly, too.   I'd presume its between Perine and Bibbs for the final roster spot -- i'd presume Perine has the edge being a draft pick and being another power type to add to Kelley.  Only thing that might make Jay pause is he hates fumblers (who doesn't but Jay seems to be especially incensed by it) and Perine has shown vulnerability on that count.

If it were me it would be Perine, Bibbs, Marshall, Thompson.  I get the whole durability question with Bibbs but its not like Kelley has proven to be durable. 

Really every head coach seems to have a player that they like that puzzles some fans.  For me, I've never had an issue with Ryan Grant the way some here did.  But Kelley I don't get.  I don't mind Kelley as a backup but its hard for me to buy he's one of the 4 top backs on the roster -- let alone he's #1. But hopefully I am wrong on that one.  

I wonder about Martez Carter.   He's electric as for his college highlights.  Granted another small dude.  I recall Thompson at one point mentioning Carter along with Guice as to bringing personality and energy to the running back room. 

31 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This kind of thing is practically the only time the national sports media covers us.

BSPN has it as their top story, but truly only care because he was the guy with the "character" issues during the draft and they were the ones trashing him.  Schefter giving the woe is me and now back to square one "analysis."  This team DOES have other RBs and now they need someone to step up with Thompson back there.  Life will go on.

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

This injury makes the Alex Smith trade that much worse. We traded to win now but we can’t even do that now since his most vital weapon is gone.

Eh, I don't know about that. There was no guarantee we were going to be able to draft Guice when we traded for Smith. Guice definitely would've helped Smith and the entire offense look better, but it's not to be this year, unfortunately.  

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the whole durability question with Bibbs but its not like Kelley has proven to be durable. 

I probably shouldn't have used the word "durability" there. What I mean is that what Perrine is, and Kelley is supposed to be, is an almost all-downs back that you rely on for most of the games to take hits and keep on churning out yards. I haven't seen enough of Bibbs to judge how healthy he'd stay, but he doesn't seem like he's built to be able to go even most of the game as our lead back. Kelley just makes me cringe. The only way he doesn't end up a starter now is by injury.

Archived