Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

45 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Those people didn't look poor.....     

maybe Medieval Country would fit better?

Even the rattiest will put on their Sundee go t'bull**** best. I mean t'church..

The sad part is, likely nothing will ever happen to that guy, and he's a fraud from the word go.

~Bang

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

From yesterday's Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/08/29/how-many-norms-can-trump-and-evangelical-leaders-break-in-one-meeting/?utm_term=.b67252d71659

How many norms can Trump and evangelical leaders break in one meeting?

Yeah, a fellow pastor friend of mine sent that to me. His words: "Here goes the church carrying Caesar's water again."

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

From yesterday's Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/08/29/how-many-norms-can-trump-and-evangelical-leaders-break-in-one-meeting/?utm_term=.b67252d71659

How many norms can Trump and evangelical leaders break in one meeting?

I have an idea.

every one of them that breaks this law gets a tax bill in the mail the next day and fined into oblivion and / or arrested when they fail to pay on time.

say... remember how much fun it used to be to yell at Islamic clerics to clean up the garbage among them?

I have another idea.

Clean up your ****ing garbage, Christians.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

just... plain.... bat**** .... crazy ....   

Calling himself a prophet, then saying he's "not being political" before telling his congregation to pray for a POS like Trump?  That was ****ing terrorism and that man is dangerous.

Do christian Trump supporters think God and Jesus would be a fan of Donny???

I would think any Christians with a conscience would pray for Trump supporters, as they have been led astray.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chew said:

I would think any Christians with a conscience would pray for Trump supporters, as they have been led astray.

To your question; check GOP approval numbers among Evangelicals, and then get back to us.

Regarding your assumption: If they are, then they are doing so silently and with little or no actions.  

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Calling himself a prophet, then saying he's "not being political" before telling his congregation to pray for a POS like Trump?  That was ****ing terrorism and that man is dangerous.

God and Jesus will support them no matter how far away from the teachings they go.

I have to wonder why lightning bolts aren't wasting a bunch of these charlatans and pillars of salt aren't dotting the landscape.

Paging Mr. Vengeful, paging Mr. Righteous Wrath.. come in Mr. Sees All and Is Everywhere...

Nobody home?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

I feel like the singer in this song. Lately, I've been coming back again and again to this well.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I feel like the singer in this song. Lately, I've been coming back again and again to this well.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

Simon and Garfunkel version still the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Here you go, so some of my wife's family shared with this with a prayer wake up call.

Awesome. You know that line from The Usual Suspects, "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"? Nope, the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he was God.

edit: Just in case I need to say it, I don't literally think Trump is the devil or that people think he is God. He's an evil mother****er though and the evangelical reverence for that dude is just so stupid.

• Like 2

i honestly DO think that the Evangelical preacher-class' absolute back-breaking, knee-pad-requiring, fealty to this disgusting amoral fraud of a president WILL have a permanent and cascading effect on Christianity in this country.

this is how you set generational tectonic shifts into motion.

and those filthy mother****ers are selling the entire farm for short term cover for Donald ****ing Trump.........   its mind boggling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christianity should not be “helped” or “hurt” by a sitting President. 

Our government should not favor a religion. 

What hurts Christianity in this country is their constant insistence that they need a seat at the table of government but no one else. Especially we nones. Not the fact that  Trump and his minions are amoral scum. 

Edited by scruffylookin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, scruffylookin said:

What hurts Christianity in this country is their constant insistence that they need a seat at the table of government but no one else. Especially we nones. Not the fact that  Trump and his minions are amoral scum. 

I would say that their affinity for Trump and his minions and the fact that those folks are amoral scum absolutely does hurt Christianity. It's a pretty big black eye and confirms many of the worst criticisms as far as I'm concerned. You can say that it ALSO hurts Christianity in addition to the other stuff but I wouldn't say that it doesn't hurt.

• Like 2

It hasn't hurt my view, it's just confirmed what i've always thought of Christianity - majority of them are full of crap and only live by the tenets when its convenient for them to do so.

i've gotten to the point where someone even mentioning their religion in part of an explanation, or justification, or whatever for gov't policies and such is just a giant red flag for someone who's completely full of crap and should be ignored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/31/2018 at 6:39 AM, scruffylookin said:

Christianity should not be “helped” or “hurt” by a sitting President. 

Our government should not favor a religion. 

I completely agree except for the part that this is what is hurting Christianity. If you ask a christian zealot, everything is coming up roses for Christianity.

If the question is, "Is Christianity Hurting?" the answer is easily "No."

If the question is, "Is Christianity being practiced according to the teachings of Jesus Christ?" the answer is also easily "No."

34 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I completely agree except for the part that this is what is hurting Christianity. If you ask a christian zealot, everything is coming up roses for Christianity.

If the question is, "Is Christianity Hurting?" the answer is easily "No."

If the question is, "Is Christianity being practiced according to the teachings of Jesus Christ?" the answer is also easily "No."

I get what you’re saying, that Christianity the aparent pure version of it is not damaged because that’s not what’s being practiced. And yet, at the same time the pure version is being damaged by this current ****ization, its reputation, its image, its following especially with the very important younger generation. It is nearly impossible to bifurcate the “authentic” Christianity from this whore strutting around in her dress. People ARE rejecting Christianity because of the witness of these “disciples”. 

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.”

~Brennan Manning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I get what you’re saying, that Christianity the aparent pure version of it is not damaged because that’s not what’s being practiced. And yet, at the same time the pure version is being damaged by this current ****ization, its reputation, its image, its following especially with the very important younger generation. It is nearly impossible to bifurcate the “authentic” Christianity from this whore strutting around in her dress. People ARE rejecting Christianity because of the witness of these “disciples”. 

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.”

~Brennan Manning

I am an atheist, raised Catholic.  This rings very true to me.  Most Many Christians act Christian so long as it is convenient, and pick and choose the parts they agree with and ignore the rest.  Or they use the whole edifice to advance their worldly interests (whether to gain money, power, sex, social status, whatever).  Then act like its the end of the world if someone says happy holidays because, obviously Christians are victims and have so much to be aggrieved about in this country.  No ****ing thank you to your superficial affectations of belief.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far back as I can remember, Christians (along with most religious folks in general) will bend any rule or text in their books to fit their politics.  They all will say "God first, then country, then blah blah" but when you actually hear what they are saying, it is very clear the real hierarchy is Conservative/Right-Wing politics, and everything after that must be spoken through that lens.  Not much different from liberals who are religious as well, although at least there are more liberals who think religion & gov't should be separate where as a large number of religious conservatives seem to find the idea of being ruled via holy text is a-ok as long as it is their person holy text.

This is a helpful guide for folks.

In my experience this aligns perfectly with theologies and traditions that favor authoritarian views of God and leadership, myopic vision, and narrowminded theology...as well as a disregard for education in favor of a supposed “divine inspiration” that all too often looks just like the rest of society they condemn...only worse.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan