Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

Why is it that the ONLY people in the room that are calling Trump a moral person are the “Christian” leaders who should be the ones holding him accountable?

Oh that’s right, it’s because in order to maintain their proximity to power and influence they need to sell the lie of Trump’s morality to their cultists.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/16/2018 at 8:35 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Why is it that the ONLY people in the room that are calling Trump a moral person are the “Christian” leaders who should be the ones holding him accountable?

Oh that’s right, it’s because in order to maintain their proximity to power and influence they need to sell the lie of Trump’s morality to their cultists.

Trump is a useful idiot

They are interested in establishing Christian Fascism. That is what this is all about.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Trump is a useful idiot

They are interested in establishing Christian Fascism. That is what this is all about.

Oh I totally agree, and it’s why impeaching Trump solves nothing, because Pence is the energy behind ALL of that movement. These religious fascists want nothing more than to codify into law their religious beliefs and bigotry.

It’s amazing to me that people who will preach passages about being free in Christ are the first to demand that everyone must follow their religious faith commitments. They are the same ones who will scream about the Constitution and their freedom to practice their religion but what these evil Pharisees really mean is that they should be free to practice their religion and they should be able to force everyone else to adhere to their religious commitments while not the other way around.  

• Like 1

According to Bill Leonard, professor of church history at Wake Forest University, North Carolina, the context to white evangelicals hitching their wagon to Trump is “panic at the precipitous decline of Christianity” in US society.

Polls show a drop in the proportion of white evangelicals from a peak in the 1990s of around 27% of the population to between 17% and 13%now, alongside a significant rise in religious pluralism and those – particularly young people – who say they have no religion.

I’ve said this for years, the white Christian privildge will not go quitely into the night, they are threatened, and this is about the same type of struggle that South Africa faced.

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’ve said this for years, the white Christian privildge will not go quitely into the night, they are threatened, and this is about the same type of struggle that South Africa faced.

Much like the GOP, I'm ready for the current religious class to be gone (yes, I know they aren't all bad).  Many of the things they are supposed to be for, I don't have much issue with.  But they don't really follow any of that (Love Thy Neighbor anyone?).  As a devout atheist who sent to Catholic school for a bit, I always describe religion as being like the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.  They are stories who teach children good lessons.   But I don't think they literally happened.  I just wish they would focus on the lessons that make you a better person.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Much like the GOP, I'm ready for the current religious class to be gone (yes, I know they aren't all bad).  Many of the things they are supposed to be for, I don't have much issue with.  But they don't really follow any of that (Love Thy Neighbor anyone?).  As a devout atheist who sent to Catholic school for a bit, I always describe religion as being like the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.  They are stories who teach children good lessons.   But I don't think they literally happened.  I just wish they would focus on the lessons that make you a better person.

I’ve come a long way in my journey but the most distressing this to me is this cognitive dissonance between what they say are their faith commitments, and what they are actively supporting and the lives they actually live. For me, it just got to the point where it was just getting worse, I haven’t been back in nearly five years so I have not been in the heart of this toxicity. That said, I’m surrounded by it in my daily life. This toxicity is a major concern to many of my clergy friends who were already struggling with generationally low attendance and participation, now to have their gray haired dominated churches to become so inwardly focused and married to racial nationalism is only serving to drive people away. Which, oddly enough becomes a self perpetuating problem where the church members are watching their life and culture die off and they are so desperate and scared that they are becoming the very thing that is destroying what they say they love.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

My mother-in-law (yes THAT one) and I were discussing this the other day, at one point in discussing Evangelical support for a brothel owner I looked at her and said, “If there is a god up there you’d be hard-pressed to find his people.”

It appears that God actually smote that guy.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dennis-hof-bunny-ranch-brothel-owner-found-dead/

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2018 at 1:10 PM, PeterMP said:

If that's not a joke or somebody who is actually anti-Christian intentionally trying to ruin Christianity, that's awful.

How are ya even supposed to tell the difference anymore? The feral Xtians have been a caricature of themselves, they aren't even subject to sarcasm or hyperbole.

And I love it

One of the great things that might result from this current nightmare would be to see that centuries old mental infection lanced and finally start to heal.

• Like 4

what are the odds that when trump hits his inevitable disgraceful fall, and is no longer useful to them ... that evangelicals all behave as if they ALWAYS found him repugnant?

( you know....  how George W Bush wasn't actually a "true" conservative to any republican who discussed him in 2010....

2021:   Trump (the false prophet), blamed for all ills

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

what are the odds that when trump hits his inevitable disgraceful fall, and is no longer useful to them ... that evangelicals all behave as if they ALWAYS found him repugnant?

( you know....  how George W Bush wasn't actually a "true" conservative to any republican who discussed him in 2010....

2021:   Trump (the false prophet), blamed for all ills

I can already envision twa hammering away at his keyboard, labeling Trump a NYC Democrat. 

Although predators, racists and sexists, who constitute a sizeable portion of the GOP base, have never quite had a champion like Trump. Bush never molded the right into his ideological vision as Trump has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I can already envision twa hammering away at his keyboard, labeling Trump a NYC Democrat. 

Although predators, racists and sexists, who constitute a sizeable portion of the GOP base, have never quite had a champion like Trump. Bush never molded the right into his ideological vision as Trump has.

Oh they will absolutely claim Trump was never a REAL Conservative, they’ll point to his deficit spending and then they’ll claim that Conservatism still works, it’s just never been fully realized because all we’ve seen are corruptions of it therefore we should still try it, rather than facing reality that there is no such thing as Conservatism.

17 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I did that already and Trump is certainly not a conservative as I know them.

I still love W despite his issues and Yankee upbringing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 8:07 AM, twa said:

I did that already and Trump is certainly not a conservative as I know them.

Next, you’ll be saying the crowds were actually chanting “Lock him up, lock him up!” because the GOP base all knew he was a crook. They just had problems with their pronouns.🙄🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Next, you’ll be saying the crowds were actually chanting “Lock him up, lock him up!” because the GOP base all knew he was a crook. They just had problems with their pronouns.🙄🙄

you going to vote for him again?