Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time for some new states? Several states wants to succeed from their urban areas.

88Comrade2000

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If I can find it, I'll post it.   There was this article I read that made a proposal for more states.

They recommended splitting:

California into 2 states.

New York City split off from rest of New York into 2 states.

South Florida from the rest of Florida into 2 states.

North Virginia from the rest of Virginia into 2 states.

The Chicago area from the rest of Illinois into 2 states. 

I even saw one that split up Texas, not sure if it was the same article though.

Maybe we just boot California and Texas and split 2 other states, to remain at 50.

We tried that whole "You go your way and I'll go mine" instead of reconcile approach before at the state level, nearly destroyed the Union as we know it.  It sounds cute, but if the solution to our differences is just to separate ourselves from each other, this country's days would officially be numbered.

I also don't get the affinity with the 50 states number.  We don't have to add more stars to the flag, last state was added as late as 1959.  That's the year my parents were born for crying out loud, that's not long at all.

Don't mean to sound like I'm barking at you, but I really really hate this idea.

Just what we need - even more overrepresentation of rural conservatives in Congress.  We already have to deal with the fact that a voter in Wyoming or Alaska has literally 50 times as much polical power in the Senate as a voter in California, and get to suck at the federal revenue teat twice as hard.  Lets give them a few more Senators to make that even worse.

5 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

If this does happen, we all know the first domino will be Nova splitting from VA. So, if we can ditch the other 54 counties would NOVA be willing to adopt Jefferson?

Loudoun is on the bubble. Jefferson needs to win their conference tournament. 

3 hours ago, Predicto said:

Just what we need - even more overrepresentation of rural conservatives in Congress.  We already have to deal with the fact that a voter in Wyoming or Alaska has literally 50 times as much polical power in the Senate as a voter in California, and get to suck at the federal revenue teat twice as hard.  Lets give them a few more Senators to make that even worse.

While simultaneously creating more thirdworld hellholes with failing local and state governments that can't afford to keep their environments from being raped, their poor and elderly from dying without any dignity in poverty, and keep their schools and hospitals open.  If rural Californians really want to secede, let them form their own country.

I’d love to see this happen for one reason at least. The rural moochers would finally have to pay their own way for a change. The urban areas that keep states afloat could then finally use our state tax $$ on ourselves instead of a bunch of Honey Boo Boo Luddites that hate us.

5 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I’d love to see this happen for one reason at least. The rural moochers would finally have to pay their own way for a change. The urban areas that keep states afloat could then finally use our state tax $$ on ourselves instead of a bunch of Honey Boo Boo Luddites that hate us.

maybe then ya'll can pay yourself what you think you are worth when replaced by AI/automation/robotics.  

Puerto Rico deserves statehood before anybody else splits off.

DC may or may not deserve statehood but they certainly deserve a bit more power over themselves than they currently have, and more representation than they currently have.  Essentially the same population as a number of smaller states is locked out of Congress because...reasons?

After that, sure, there can be a discussion of if states should change as they currently exist, but frankly, I am feeling more and more that the conversation should be about merging states, not splitting them.

Like, do we really need two Dakotas?

I'd rather free all the territories and let them become independent nations.

I think PR probably prefers status quo over statehood and independence; though in the Trump era that might change.

D.C. should never be a state. D.C. should have representation though.  D.C. should be able to run the non-federal government areas as they see fit; without congress interfering. They should get a congresscritter and you can balance that out, by giving a red state one extra congresscritter.  There was proposal for that, but ti was opposed by the GOP.  Since D.C. was part of Maryland; they are able to vote for Maryland's 2 senators. 

4 hours ago, twa said:

maybe then ya'll can pay yourself what you think you are worth when replaced by AI/automation/robotics.  

That’s true pretty much across the board without regard to rural vs. urban. However, it probably won’t affect everyone at the same time or to the same degree. If past patterns hold, it will continue to be a trickle up effect from low skill jobs upward. Most of those kinds of jurbs are in rural areas.

18 hours ago, Predicto said:

That's how I see it too. The redneck hillbillies have too much power in our government as it is.

that is fine... split California into three.   SoCal, NoCal... and then take rural central valley and eastern cal, merge it with Idaho, Wyoming Both Dakotas, Montana, and Alaska, to make one REAL state (about four and a half million people, still less than the size of louisiana, the 25th biggest state... ) 

if we throw in Nevada too, (to add some territorial continuity), we get up to around 7.5 million .... 

then, in addition to the 2 new californias,  we can make all of those others happy, too.  give PR and DC statehood, split Florida, NY, Virgina, and Texas each in two,   and still have the same amount of states, and perhaps fewer bull**** senators from ****ing nowhere.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

....  There was proposal for that, but ti was opposed by the GOP.  Since D.C. was part of Maryland; they are able to vote for Maryland's 2 senators. 

wha ??? 

I think we should eliminate states in a Survivor-style contest based on their contributions to the country. 

giphy.gif

ok, not really cut them. Just put them under the leadership of better run state. "Sorry Kansas, Colorado is going to manage your affairs until we feel you can handle them on your own."

j/k

since we are doing old jokes...Is Vermont really a state,or just a urban legend? :)

https://www.50states.com/facts/vermont.htm

1. Until recently, the only way a Vermonter could get a drivers license with their photo on it was to drive to Montpelier.

With a population of fewer than nine thousand people, Montpelier, Vermont is the smallest state capital in the U.S.

Montpelier, Vermont is the only U.S. state capital without a McDonalds

I swear this conversation pops up on this board every 6 months.

I was all for a Northern VA secession, but considering that huge parts of our country are slow marching themselves into becoming hellholes, and eventually we will all have to deal with their stupid decisions.... 

I am now on the side of actually consolidating some states into larger states.

West Virginia really has no business being its own state at this point, and should probably have parts of it merged with neighboring states. 

Do we really need two Dakotas? 

Oklahoma and Kansas seem to be determined on becoming third world entities and should be merged into better managed neighboring states.

6 hours ago, twa said:

Does PR really want statehood?

Apparently yes in last three Statehood plebe-cites the vote was for statehood. It is in Congress court now (and has been since 2012) and they need to act on it. Statehood is long past due.

Honestly the "west" part of the country, minus the coast, has always been sorta awkward.  Like sure, you don't want to merge all those states together, but their population density is really really low when you look at places like Wyoming or the Dakotas, and there isn't really a strong pull to increase that.

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

that is fine... split California into three.   SoCal, NoCal... and then take rural central valley and eastern cal, merge it with Idaho, Wyoming Both Dakotas, Montana, and Alaska, to make one REAL state (about four and a half million people, still less than the size of louisiana, the 25th biggest state... ) 

if we throw in Nevada too, (to add some territorial continuity), we get up to around 7.5 million .... 

then, in addition to the 2 new californias,  we can make all of those others happy, too.  give PR and DC statehood, split Florida, NY, Virgina, and Texas each in two,   and still have the same amount of states, and perhaps fewer bull**** senators from ****ing nowhere.

wha ??? 

There was a proposal to give D.C. a congresscritter and balance that out with Utah, a red state, getting a congresscritter.   The GOP wasn't for that.

The land that is D.C. today was taken from Maryland; so D.C. citizens should be able to vote for Maryland's U.S. Senators.

Archived