Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teachers Union Power- From WV & Beyond/ Mountain Mama - WV Thread

88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not to mention that some families need the school lunches to help feed their children. I'm on the side of the teachers, but there is a lot of collateral damage. 

Same here.

Maybe what everyone needs is for the teachers to show them how important they are to society. Cause we certainly don't treat them anywhere near that level.

Teechur stryk meens mor time to werk in cole mine fer skool age kids.

Mine can now employ 500 mor chilren.

Trump kreats more jobs! Lowest unemployment for kids under 12 in 100 yeers!

Go Repubikins!

~Skeeter

12 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not to mention that some families need the school lunches to help feed their children. I'm on the side of the teachers, but there is a lot of collateral damage. 

The teachers are still providing school lunches to the kids.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/27/west-virginia-teachers-packed-lunches-their-needy-students-before-going-strike/377591002/

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We all know all jobs are going to be automated anyway.  So, why not a test run in WV.  Have AI teach the kids there.

You ever done an online course before?  There are serious limitations to this method depending on the topic matter (though some high schools do offer some online classes now).  Still an actual teacher for each online class, I don't think we're there yet with AI being able to grade papers.

22 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Of course there is. Strikes only work when people are inconvenienced. That's kind of the point of strikes. If nobody was impacted, nobody would care.

It's cool that they made sure the free and reduced lunch kids got their lunches anyway, though.

I just did the math on a 7 hour work day, 5 days a week, for 2/3 of the year. Using elementary school teacher's salary. Figuring 20 kids per class (which is low, it's usually 25ish around here i think)

It works out to $1.87 per hour per kid.

When you factor in what it is they're doing. 1.87$/hour/kid seems pretty cheap.

Also - they work a hell of a lot more than what I figured, because there's a ton of outside the classroom work. Including continuing education for the teachers. I tried to underestimate how much they work and the # of kids they're responsible for. So the reality is they're working for a lot less than $1.87 per hour per kid. I wouldn't be surprised if reality is somewhere closer to half that.

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We all know all jobs are going to be automated anyway.  So, why not a test run in WV.  Have AI teach the kids there.

I'm one that thinks that one of the biggest challenges the world is going to face in the coming decades is the increasing loss of jobs to automation, and I don't think it'll be like previous changes where enough new jobs spring up to replace them. We're going to need something like a universal income sooner or later, or there's going to be heads rolling. Literally.

That being noted, anyone that thinks an AI can replace a teacher clearly hasn't actually taught a class of actual students.

I actually teach Earth Science this year using a lot of stuff online- videos with questions to answer, online notes, etc., and despite that, my colleague I teach with and I don't get to just sit in the front of the room. They work independently, which allows us to move around and help students that need it.

10% of teaching is presentation of the material, but the other 90% is counseling, motivation, and clarification. This is to say nothing of the fact that someone had to curate the materials we're presenting online in the first place (though theoretically that can be done by just a few people).

Maybe one day, AI will be able to replicate all of this, but as of now only the brightest and most motivated of students would be able to function with an AI instructor.

probably is inappropriate for them to comment.

2 minutes ago, techboy said:

That being noted, anyone that thinks an AI can replace a teacher clearly hasn't actually taught a class of actual students.

(or studied artificial intelligence)

(or cognitive sciences)

(or computer science)

(or robotics)

(or pretty much any topic relevant to the claim)

19 hours ago, sacase said:

So Democrats control the  school board votes for this along with the mandatory app use, but somehow it's the GPS fault. Smh

Because the pay raise has been killed over and over and over by the GOP in that state.

Even with the negotiated raise that the Gov (who is a fraud btw) said he would approve, the GOP led WV Senate refuses even to hear it.

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

probably is inappropriate for them to comment.

(or studied artificial intelligence)

(or cognitive sciences)

(or computer science)

(or robotics)

(or pretty much any topic relevant to the claim)

All good points. Maybe they should just read the Bible.

This is the only thing my friends and I have been talking about for the past week.

Wildcat strikes have been the IWW's bread and butter since day one and we've got a few folks there with the teachers (including a Wobbly teacher from West Virginia) so as you can imagine, the excitement over this is palpable.

The fact that this is a strike along industrial lines - teachers, bus drivers, food workers, and students are all on the picket line together - was encouraging enough. But to get reports that the teachers are making sure their students are still getting food and similar strikes might be in the works in Oklahoma and a possible public sector general strike might be in the works in West Virginia is making me positively giddy. We're getting a food drive going now and kicking into the strike find to the best of our ability (which ain't much but still better than nothing). 

(You can see me peeking my head out in the back there) 

If you wanna kick into the strike fund: hit up their Go Fund Me. As you can tell, they're well over goal but remember, this is something that's going on across West Virginia and that money well can run dry very quickly. A strike fund makes the difference between "settling" and getting the big W.  

I don't make much but I'm kicking in some money every pay day. 

https://www.gofundme.com/wv-teachers-strike-fund

Low key, there is a teachers strike movement developing in Oklahoma as well. 

Teachers haven't seen a raise in 10 years in OK, and they've had serious issues with keeping their schools open due to poor funding. All the while, major tax concessions made to the oil and gas industry in the state, which the teachers are now using as their rally call for a strike.

It's illegal for teachers to strike in Oklahoma but it seems like they are inching closer to doing it anyways.

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

I just did the math on a 7 hour work day, 5 days a week, for 2/3 of the year. Using elementary school teacher's salary. Figuring 20 kids per class (which is low, it's usually 25ish around here i think)

It works out to $1.87 per hour per kid.

When you factor in what it is they're doing. 1.87$/hour/kid seems pretty cheap.

Also - they work a hell of a lot more than what I figured, because there's a ton of outside the classroom work. Including continuing education for the teachers. I tried to underestimate how much they work and the # of kids they're responsible for. So the reality is they're working for a lot less than $1.87 per hour per kid. I wouldn't be surprised if reality is somewhere closer to half that.

On top of this, I am pretty sure the teachers have had their health care plans, which are dictated to them by the government, quadruple in out-of-pocket cost (or more) over the last 3 years.  

27 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

If you wanna kick into the strike fund: hit up their Go Fund Me. As you can tell, they're well over goal but remember, this is something that's going on across West Virginia and that money well can run dry very quickly. A strike fund makes the difference between "settling" and getting the big W.  

I don't make much but I'm kicking in some money every pay day. 

https://www.gofundme.com/wv-teachers-strike-fund

Thanks for the link, I pitched in a little bit. 

Also: 

1519920886010-AP_333472378813.jpeg?crop=

Look at this. Just...look at it. Not only the sheer number of people but it is women that are leading this. Women are driving this and when women take the lead in the labor movement, the movement is not only strong but it is revolutionary

You'll also notice the red bandanna they're holding. That's a direct reference to the red bandannas striking coal miners wore at the Battle of Blair Mountain, WV in 1921. By going on this picket line and holding strong along industrial lines (and I cannot emphasize that enough) these teachers are giving their students the best education they could ever get. This is a lesson in solidarity and labor history you're not going to get in most textbooks. 

This is the Labor Movement right here. This is what it has, at its best, always been about and we're finally remembering that - and not a moment too soon (see: Janus v. AFSCME). 

27 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I can see that going really well.

Hey Siri - what were the causes of the American Civil War?

"Wikipedia says ...  hang on, a bunch of edits have just been made to the page from a Mr David Duke".

True story: Near the beginning of the year in the class I was just referring to, we had the students constructing a timeline of the Universe, and one of the events they had to find a date for was the formation of the first stars. As I was making my rounds, I noticed that MANY groups had written...

This, of course, required sarcasm.

So I asked them if they were born before 2003 (yes, if barely). "Were there stars then?" "Uh..."

I couldn't figured it out at first, but then I googled "formation of the first stars". This pops up on the top as their suggested answer:

"Results from NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) released in February 2003 show that the first stars formed when the universe was only about 200 million years old. Observations by WMAP also revealed that the universe is currently about 13. 7 billion years old."

That might not have been so bad, except that at the time (it doesn't seem to be doing it now, so maybe someone caught it), it ALSO popped up February 2003 in large font, so MANY students just typed February 2003.

It's gonna be a while on those online only classes.

As a reminder, the WV GOP led legislature last year tried to replace income tax (they wanted to eliminate it) with increased sales tax. This was after they repealed sales tax on food, reduced the corporate tax rate,and repealed the business franchise tax.

Maybe opening a $300+ million dollar hole in the state budget wasn't too wise considering how ****ty you've pay teachers there?

GOP economics. ****ing moronic.

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

GOP economics. ****ing moronic.

I really will not be surprised if there is a domino effect.

Very closely watching the situation in Oklahoma.

States in the south and the heartland generally pay their teachers absolutely appalling salaries. People were going to get fed up at some point after seeing huge corporate tax cuts but nothing coming their way.

Archived