Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teachers Union Power- From WV & Beyond/ Mountain Mama - WV Thread

88Comrade2000

Oh that is glorious news, @Major Harris - the more the better.

And it was tremendous seeing the red bandannas. We hold the veterans of Blair Mountain near and dear to our hearts in the IWW. We've also not been afraid of "shooting back" when we've had to.

tumblr_inline_mns6duI3qR1qz4rgp.jpg

We don't take too kindly to scabbers - especially when they come in pointy, white hoods.

W6TDSrh.png

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

They won in a rout and may have inspired a new strike in Oklahoma.

I can't remember the last major strike that didn't involve public employees. Violence is largely absent from these things now when they do occur, which is becoming exceedingly rare.

I've always been of the belief that labor disputes need a "scent" of violence. Just a whiff.

I've been texting teacher friends of mine in Charleston all week suggesting that it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world if a Senator's car was torched.

They won what? What did they win? A few pennies? Teachers will always be crappy paid teachers. 

2 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

They won what? What did they win? A few pennies? Teachers will always be crappy paid teachers. 

Totally. I've long argued with the Pope and the Queen of England that as the front line soldiers in the brainwashing of the next generation of sheep that we deserve better pay, but they always claim the funding is going to paid crisis actors.

Unreal.

13 minutes ago, techboy said:

Totally. I've long argued with the Pope and the Queen of England that as the front line soldiers in the brainwashing of the next generation of sheep that we deserve better pay, but they always claim the funding is going to paid crisis actors.

Unreal.

Said the  product of a American school system. Lol you have no clue about the real world around you . It's been educated  right out of you. By teachers that aren't

Allowed to teach anything real.Just what government  tells them to teach. Boring, same old, monkey  see,monkey do. School is designed to produce workers, laborers,.not critical/free thinkers.  As your remark proves, oh so clearly.  

8 hours ago, techboy said:

Unreal.

This just might be the best post I've read in a long time around here.

Please stop engaging the racist troll. 

As for Ojeda..too many Dems like him that voted for Trump cause..Hillary...or whatever his crap excuse was. Sure, he's a good Democrat..but only because Democrats ARE Republicans in WV. That state is lost to the Democratic party until at least the Boomer generation dies out. Probably even longer.

Back on topic..again, props Major and all the teachers out there. You are constantly undervalued and underpaid. I can only hope this is a move in the direction of changing that.

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Please stop engaging the racist troll. 

As for Ojeda..too many Dems like him that voted for Trump cause..Hillary...or whatever his crap excuse was. Sure, he's a good Democrat..but only because Democrats ARE Republicans in WV. That state is lost to the Democratic party until at least the Boomer generation dies out. Probably even longer.

Back on topic..again, props Major and all the teachers out there. You are constantly undervalued and underpaid. I can only hope this is a move in the direction of changing that.

i won't hold his vote for trump against him.   I mean it was stupid, but lots of people that voted for him wouldn't again.  I am going to closely follow him and see what hes all about from here out.

Teachers left the Capitol and the Republicans immediately introduced a bill to lower teacher qualifications, and eliminate the Department of Ed and The Arts. 

10 hours ago, Major Harris said:

I owe you an apology 

No you don't.  This is a personal and passionate topic for you. As it should be - it is your livelihood.

I could have done a better job in explaining my position.  I have been crazy busy lately, and I think not having time to fully flesh out my posts before hitting submit has been an issue.  My tenor hasn't been the best and I think my position is coming across as a bit lofty. And that isn't my intention.

6 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

i won't hold his vote for trump against him.   I mean it was stupid, but lots of people that voted for him wouldn't again.  I am going to closely follow him and see what hes all about from here out.

Teachers left the Capitol and the Republicans immediately introduced a bill to lower teacher qualifications, and eliminate the Department of Ed and The Arts. 

The WV state capitol needs to be reinvigorated with fresh faces, voices, and ideas.  I want to retire in Fayette County, so if you could make that happen in the next 20 years, that would be swell...

26 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

No you don't.  This is a personal and passionate topic for you. As it should be - it is your livelihood.

I could have done a better job in explaining my position.  I have been crazy busy lately, and I think not having time to fully flesh out my posts before hitting submit has been an issue.  My tenor hasn't been the best and I think my position is coming across as a bit lofty. And that isn't my intention.

The WV state capitol needs to be reinvigorated with fresh faces, voices, and ideas.  I want to retire in Fayette County, so if you could make that happen in the next 20 years, that would be swell...

i did go back and check Washington and Frederick Counties in Maryland.   The lower end of the pay scale is a good bit more, but i was shocked to see what they make as they get to years 15-20 or so.  I have zero idea how a teacher in Frederick County, MD gets by.  I think it illustrated to me even more the importance of what we did and i hope it gets replicated.

Speaking of Fayette County, was Pies 'n Pints around when you were there?  That place is absolutely amazing.

Avg. teacher salaries for 2018 is about $60,000 for public K-12. That's working only about 8 months of the year not including snow days, etc.

My sister in law makes nearly $70k in Fairfax as a 4th grade teacher. Not saying its 'rich' by any means but she has no desire to work summers...

Not trying to sound ignorant but what kind of money are they asking for?

6 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Avg. teacher salaries for 2018 is about $60,000 for public K-12. That's working only about 8 months of the year not including snow days, etc.

My sister in law makes nearly $70k in Fairfax as a 4th grade teacher. Not saying its 'rich' by any means but she has no desire to work summers...

8 months that's funny, it's a 10 month contract.  200 days is pretty standard I believe.

We got a 2k raise, which I assure you doesn't put us anywhere near 60k.  Read my 1st post in the thread if you want all the details.

3 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

i did go back and check Washington and Frederick Counties in Maryland.   The lower end of the pay scale is a good bit more, but i was shocked to see what they make as they get to years 15-20 or so.  I have zero idea how a teacher in Frederick County, MD gets by.  I think it illustrated to me even more the importance of what we did and i hope it gets replicated.

Speaking of Fayette County, was Pies 'n Pints around when you were there?  That place is absolutely amazing.

I grew up in VA, but spent summers in Ansted, and have gone back more and more as I get older.  My mom's side of the family grew up in Victor and Ansted.  My grandparents (90 & 84) still live, by themselves, in the house they built when my granddad retired in the late 80s.  I have the death certificate and flag that accompanied my great grandfathers casket home from after he was killed on 12/10/1944 right before the Battle of the Bulge.  We have a family cemetery, so I will be permanently retiring off Shade Creek, with no fear of any development crowding us.

Pies 'n Pints is a good little spot.  Dirty Ernie's is a good spot that's open during rafting season. Best ribs you can find around there.  Also, across Route 19 from the bridge overlook is a rafting place called Adventures on the Gorge.  There is a restaurant there (Smokey's on the Gorge or Smokey's Steakhouse) that is ridonculous. My wife and I got married on the deck overlooking the Gorge, with the bridge in the background.  Best food I've found by far from Morgantown all the way down 19 to 64, and on to the VA border on 77 or 64. Some award winning chef opened it up, and a restaurant in Summersville.

Related image

Image result for smokey's on the gorge

Image result for smokey's on the gorge

(not our weeding, just a google image) 

8 months that's funny, it's a 10 month contract.  200 days is pretty standard I believe.

We got a 2k raise, which I assure you doesn't put us anywhere near 60k.  Read my 1st post in the thread if you want all the details.

Thank you. Great post, btw. I understand.

I was with the County in Fairfax for about 7 years and received one raise in that time period which I believe was the equivalent to 50 cents an hour. At that time I was pushing 65 hours a week at just over $20k a year fresh out of the military.

Now at my new job in Florida, I gave all my employees raises this year and my Board decided not to give me one...

I hope you are able to get what you all are fighting for.

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Most teachers put a considerable amount of hours in after the day is over and on weekends.

It goes unpaid (unless, you know, you stop with the idea that they only work 8-9 months).

she must be a lazy teacher then, lol

Cus shes out the door by about 3pm and doesn't start prepping for the school year until about 3 days before it starts.

19 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

FairFax is one of the higher paid in the nation, I believe. Auburn too. It gets much cheaper outside of those areas. Even PG is around 55 if I remember correctly. 

Also remember some of these people have to pay for their own school supplies. Thats like me going to work and paying for pens and paper. I would be GOT DAMNED. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

FairFax is one of the higher paid in the nation, I believe. Auburn too. It gets much cheaper outside of those areas. Even PG is around 55 if I remember correctly. 

Also remember some of these people have to pay for their own school supplies. Thats like me going to work and paying for pens and paper. I would be GOT DAMNED. 

I am sure Fairfax is, but it's also higher cost of living by a long shot.

16 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I am sure Fairfax is, but it's also higher cost of living by a long shot.

Thats why it’s especially tough for us in the Panhandle to keep teachers.  Montgomery County, Loudoun, Fairfax, Frederick(Md & Va), Washington.....all under 90 minutes and most under 45. 

Thats why it’s especially tough for us in the Panhandle to keep teachers.  Montgomery County, Loudoun, Fairfax, Frederick(Md & Va), Washington.....all under 90 minutes and most under 45. 

Not to mention...how do I say this nicely...the appeal of kids who might be more open to teaching. :)

Edit...because higher and/or advanced education is a part of their parents life too.

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not to mention...how do I say this nicely...the appeal of kids who might be more open to teaching. :)

Edit...because higher and/or advanced education is a part of their parents life too.

Yep.  Biggest indicator of academic achievement is affluency and educated parents (kinda goes hand in hand)..

37 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

Yep.  Biggest indicator of academic achievement is affluency and educated parents (kinda goes hand in hand)..

I mean, just look at how schools are usually funded: local property taxes. That's a sure fire way to keep folks stuck in their socio-economic conditions for generations. Really hard to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" when you can't afford shoes.

Archived