Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teachers Union Power- From WV & Beyond/ Mountain Mama - WV Thread

88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, techboy said:

This entire thread (and possibly the strike itself) has been careful social engineering by @Lombardi's_kid_brother so he can casually drop that he went to Princeton.

Again.

This thread is the pinnacle of lombardis message board existence.  Teachers, labor strikes, west virginia, the environment, and corporate entitlements.  Im genuinely surprised he has not had a stroke.  If there had been any tie to pro wrestling i suspect he might not have lived

Picture Harvey Weinstein at the International casting couch convention.  Running around hysterically icing his balls in between rounds

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Calabria. We are a violent people.

My great grandmother had to come to America because she was on trial for attempted murder. She stabbed the man that got her pregnant. Her sister had made arrangements to come to the US and marry my great-grandfather, despite the fact that she had never met him. My great grandmother left the child with the sister, took the sister's ticket, and came to Ellis Island. She agreed to marry my great-grandfather because she was a woman of her word.

At one point in her 50s, she pistol-whipped a neighbor who has abusing his wife.

My grandfather was the **** child of an italian woman who came to america looking for her sister.

Cousin!

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That's my entire connection to the Eastern Panhandle by the way. I'm generally of the opinion that it should be sold to Maryland.

I always knew the utter destruction of our state was what you would like most. 

2 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

They are all related and probably sleeping with their cousins.

I knew it would end.  But congrats fellas.  Longest running thread in ES history that has anything to do with WV before someone threw out one of those.  

5 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

I knew it would end.  But congrats fellas.  Longest running thread in ES history that has anything to do with WV before someone threw out one of those.  

Extra irony coming from Ireland, too.  The entire country has 3 last names

so you got the 5% raise but not the healthcare stuff, right?

also, instead of you getting a 5% raise and healthcare stuff, every state employee got 5% raise and you didn't get the healthcare cover increases?

just making sure i'm tracking here.

12 hours ago, zoony said:

Extra irony coming from Ireland, too.  The entire country has 3 last names

Communities with little mobility suffer from a level of inbreeding. This applies to the poor rural folks and rich too, such as the European royalty,

12 hours ago, Major Harris said:

Welcome back. The lovefest could only last so long.

43 minutes ago, tshile said:

so you got the 5% raise but not the healthcare stuff, right?

also, instead of you getting a 5% raise and healthcare stuff, every state employee got 5% raise and you didn't get the healthcare cover increases?

just making sure i'm tracking here.

We couldn't strike long enough for them to truly fix this mess as it’s taken 15 years at least to create it.

What we did get was a 19 month freeze on changes to our plans and a task force that includes WV educators, legislators and Insurance representatives.  

Yes, all state employees got 5%. That became our demand when the Republican Senate on Saturday tried to pit us against other state employees by lowering our raise from 5% to 4% to bring other state employees from 3% to 4%. 

2 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

We couldn't strike long enough for them to truly fix this mess as it’s taken 15 years at least to create it.

What we did get was a 19 month freeze on changes to our plans and a task force that includes WV educators, legislators and Insurance representatives.  

oh yeah, i get that.

and at some point you become the bad guy because the kids are suffering and the "other side" has made an offer the public thinks is fair. i get all that.

i was just curious. none of the stuff i'm reading is talking about what you just said (i'm not exactly following it very well though...)

15 hours ago, zoony said:

This thread is the pinnacle of lombardis message board existence.  Teachers, labor strikes, west virginia, the environment, and corporate entitlements.  Im genuinely surprised he has not had a stroke.  If there had been any tie to pro wrestling i suspect he might not have lived

Picture Harvey Weinstein at the International casting couch convention.  Running around hysterically icing his balls in between rounds

I actually deleted the post I wrote about the, um, physical reaction I had when I saw that the teachers were wearing red bandanas in homage to Blair Mountain.

I am currently wearing my Knight of the Golden Horseshoe lapel pin. I'm also dehydrated. It's been a fun two weeks.

14 hours ago, Major Harris said:

I always knew the utter destruction of our state was what you would like most. 

I have specific hatreds for each region of the state, generally related to high school sports. The Eastern Panhandle's sudden belief that it is an urbane extension of the DC Metro Area has been a particular irritation in recent years. It will never match my hatred of Kanawha county however.

When I was six, my parents got me a puzzle that was all 50 states. The northern panhandle of West Virginia was not on the West Virginia puzzle piece. When I asked where we lived, No one could show me. Later, I realized that the weather map on the Today show did not include the Northern Panhandle. (That was later changed when A James Manchin wrote a flowery letter to NBC and in typical A. James fashion sent it to every paper in the state). My resentments are great and can all be traced back to that puzzle.

The fact that it came from an Irishman whose grandfather probably live in a mud hut and wiped his ass with a rock is the best part.

Back to the topic at hand, I assume you will be personally picketing Senator Blair's house each weekend until November.

15 hours ago, zoony said:

My grandfather was the **** child of an italian woman who came to america looking for her sister.

Cousin!

It was a daughter and my Uncle Emilio sent her money every month until she died.

So, if you want to change your story, I demand $198,000 in repayment.

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Moonshine or Iron City?

Iron City is garbage.

Keystone!

(Do they even make Keystone at this point?)

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I have specific hatreds for each region of the state, generally related to high school sports. The Eastern Panhandle's sudden belief that it is an urbane extension of the DC Metro Area has been a particular irritation in recent years. It will never match my hatred of Kanawha county howev

When I was six, my parents got me a puzzle that was all 50 states. The northern panhandle of West Virginia was not on the West Virginia puzzle piece. When I asked where we lived, No one could show me. Later, I realized that the weather map on the Today show did not include the Northern Panhandle. (That was later changed when A James Manchin wrote a flowery letter to NBC and in typical A. James fashion sent it to every paper in the state). My resentments are great and can all be traced back to that puzzle.

In in some ways the eastern panhandle is absolutely an extension of the DC Metro Area. There’s a reason that average home prices in Jefferson are quadruple some counties.  Hell, Jefferson is significantly more than Berkeley because we’re closer.  I live 60 miles from DC. 

I’ve often been told that the eastern panhandle was left off the boys basketball program at the state tournament years ago.

To partially fulfil my obligation as class nerd economist:   Ireland is now basically equal with the USA, and is the richest country in the EU (other than Luxembourg, which is really just one small city, or one giant gas station, depending on your ultimate destination)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(PPP)_per_capita

And Loudon isn't one of the better-off counties in the country, it is THE richest county in the country.   Higher than Fairfax, Arlington, Marin...etc.... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States 

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The fact that it came from an Irishman whose grandfather probably live in a mud hut and wiped his ass with a rock is the best part.

You need to do better.

"The Irish are a very fair race. They never speak well of one another."

And my family is not from peasant stock, which means the Irish hate us as well as everyone else. 

10 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Ireland is now basically equal with the USA, and is the richest country in the EU

Will that change with the tax law so that there may not be good reason for Ireland to be the worldwide HQ of many firms?

Yes, Accenture, the side hustle of Arthur Andersen who collapsed after Enron, chose Dublin as their Global HQ.

50 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

You need to do better.

"The Irish are a very fair race. They never speak well of one another."

And my family is not from peasant stock, which means the Irish hate us as well as everyone else. 

Will that change with the tax law so that there may not be good reason for Ireland to be the worldwide HQ of many firms?

Yes, Accenture, the side hustle of Arthur Andersen who collapsed after Enron, chose Dublin as their Global HQ.

That's nice. Just lay off the booze. It's the curse of you people.

Is everyone enjoying the panhandle discussion?

When I was 10, my dad's best friend's son was the QB for Marshall. He actually led them to their first winning season since the plane crash and sort of set the stage for what was going to come later with the national championships and the move to D-1.

Anyway, while we were in Huntington for a game, the local paper had a column which talked about the Northern Panhandle - where the QB and the star LB came from - and said something to the effect that the only thing the columnist knew about it was that it had a large number of last names that ended in vowels. We were staying with my father's friend whose name also ended in a vowel and had stayed in Huntington after he graduated from Marshall. (He graduated two years before the crash and had played with some of the players on the team). Anyway, he was a bit of a hothead and made some calls and actually located the home address of the columnist. My dad managed to convince him that there was no need to drive to the writer's house.

(This guy uttered the greatest threat I ever heard. His brother owned a bar in Wheeling, and one day these two guys came in and harassed the staff. When the brother asked them to leave they threatened him. The brother was a bit of a milquetoast, but my dad's friend was one of those types who got bored if he didn't have a fist-fight every few months. He called the two guys who threatened his brother and said, "It's a four hour drive from Huntington to Wheeling. If you ever threaten my brother again, I'll make it in two.")

I miss violence that was amusing.

Since this is the closest thing we have to a general labor thread, I found this interesting.  I don't know anything about labor law, but I assume that if DeVos wants this, it's probably galactically stupid.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/03/16/trump-administration-escalates-attack-on-federal-unions-with-one-sided-agreement-at-education/?utm_term=.3b06f078f80e

Trump administration escalates attack on federal unions with one-sided ‘agreement’ at Education

The Education Department is attempting to enforce a “collective bargaining agreement” on a union that does not agree.

The department’s move to foist a contract on the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) is the Trump administration’s latest and most dramatic attack on federal labor organizations and has implications far beyond the 3,900 employees the union represents at the department.

This bold stroke could herald what federal unions across the government might encounter from an administration bent on belittling them.

Last week, the department notified Council 252, which represents Education employees, that the agency was unilaterally imposing a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which union members had overwhelming rejected, effective Monday of this week. Though called an “agreement,” the union hotly disagrees with the terms of the contract and the way it was imposed.

Each side blames the other for a breakdown in contract negotiations.

The department’s contract is part of a pattern demonstrating the administration’s disdain for organized labor.

In September, President Trump initiated his assault with an executive order abolishing labor-management forums, created by former president Barack Obama to foster communication between supervisors and staff.

Trump’s budget proposal, released last month, implicitly blames federal unions for “employer-employee relations activities [that] currently consume considerable management time and taxpayer resources, and may negatively impact efficiency, effectiveness, cost of operations, and employee accountability and performance.” The budget appendix added that union “contracts can have a significant impact on agency performance, workplace productivity, and employee satisfaction.”

Foreshadowing Education’s maneuver, the budget document says, “Agency managers will be encouraged to restore management prerogatives that have been ceded to Federal labor unions.”

Education officials are acting on that directive.

Archived