Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teachers Union Power- From WV & Beyond/ Mountain Mama - WV Thread

88Comrade2000

On 3/6/2018 at 10:18 AM, The Evil Genius said:

In WV, it would almost make too much sense to have a statewide pay scale for teachers.

If the pay is truly governed by the state, then why does a teacher in Monroe county make less than a teacher in Greenbrier county? The cost of living is nearly (if not totally) the same. Isn't that how state workers are paid thete? There's no variance by county, right?

The variance comes from local excess levies.  Not all counties support one. 

On 3/5/2018 at 6:40 PM, Major Harris said:

Average home price in Jefferson County is around 250

the median home price in Loudoun is 450k.

The 10k may be worth the commute, but it's certainly not better to live and teach there.

(Although I don't know what the true difference in benefits is, that could make it worth it)

On 3/6/2018 at 8:50 AM, Popeman38 said:

Loudoun County is by far a more prosperous county than any county in WV. 

One of the most prosperous counties in the entire country.

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

the median home price in Loudoun is 450k.

The 10k may be worth the commute, but it's certainly not better to live and teach there.

(Although I don't know what the true difference in benefits is, that could make it worth it)

yeah I'm aware of that.  I've weighed the pros and cons a million times.   It's not worth it to me for reasons that aren't financial really.   I used to apply every year.  In 2005 i was offered a job, but it was 3 weeks into my football season and I didn't want to abandon my team.  Haven't applied since.

(A member of that 2005 team is in the NFL now, and he was a big part of why i stayed.)

4 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

yeah I'm aware of that.  I've weighed the pros and cons a million times.   It's not worth it to me for reasons that aren't financial really.   I used to apply every year.  In 2005 i was offered a job, but it was 3 weeks into my football season and I didn't want to abandon my team.  Haven't applied since.

(A member of that 2005 team is in the NFL now, and he was a big part of why i stayed.)

I get that. I could see a big jump in both pay and benefits if I'd drive towards DC, but I choose not to. My reasons are more selfish whereas yours sound more selfless (caring your community and such), but I understand the situation.

I think teachers are underpaid and I support your cause.

But if your comparison to Loudon tells me anything it's that Loudoun is way underpaid, maybe more than you (cost of living is more than median household income, but I feel comfortable guessing one of the top 10 richest counties in the country is significantly more expensive to live in than anywhere in WVA.)

I realize "just commute to Loudon" is a pretty myopic view of things, but the honest truth is Loudon is always going to pay significantly more, never make things appear fair to you in comparison, and alway be a 20 minute commute.

Obviously the better answer for you (and most places) is that people value teachers more. It's a shame they don't. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

I get that. I could see a big jump in both pay and benefits if I'd drive towards DC, but I choose not to. My reasons are more selfish whereas yours sound more selfless (caring your community and such), but I understand the situation.

I think teachers are underpaid and I support your cause.

But if your comparison to Loudon tells me anything it's that Loudoun is way underpaid, maybe more than you (cost of living is more than median household income, but I feel comfortable guessing one of the top 10 richest counties in the country is significantly more expensive to live in than anywhere in WVA.)

I realize "just commute to Loudon" is a pretty myopic view of things, but the honest truth is Loudon is always going to pay significantly more, never make things appear fair to you in comparison, and alway be a 20 minute commute.

Obviously the better answer for you (and most places) is that people value teachers more. It's a shame they don't. 

check out Frederick county, MD if you want to see underpaid.   I'm not sure the median home price is much different from Loudoun but the pay is way different.

1 hour ago, Major Harris said:

Yep.  Biggest indicator of academic achievement is affluency and educated parents (kinda goes hand in hand)..

One of my less popular opinions: 80 percent of parenting is some combination of genetics and zip code.

1 hour ago, Major Harris said:

The variance comes from local excess levies.  Not all counties support one. 

The only thing keeping those things afloat in the new world of West Virginia politics is the teachers. When my dad was on the school board, they had to decide when to put the levy on the ballot. They chose, like, March of an odd number year when something bizarre like a special election for a magistrate was happening. They knew that the school board employees and their families would come out and vote and no one else would bother.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

One of my less popular opinions: 80 percent of parenting is some combination of genetics and zip code.

I'm not sure zip code even matters.  You can go to college, improve your material circumstances tremendously, shelter your children in affluence, send them to private schools and colleges, and instill in them the sense of entitlement necessary to become a member of the middle and upper middle class world, and they will still inherit all of the bad **** from their great grandfather.  Addiction, abuse, and domestic traumas all seem to linger on for generations no matter what you do, where you live, and how much money you have.  It's like seeing your mom and dad scream at each other when you're six is a life sentence for dysfunctional adult relationships.  The Scottish and Scotch-Irish immigrants to America are a failed people prone to prejudice, tribalism, violence, addiction, depression, hopelessness, and self destruction.  Appalachia is doomed.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not sure zip code even matters.  You can go to college, improve your material circumstances tremendously, shelter your children in affluence, send them to private schools and colleges, and instill in them the sense of entitlement necessary to become a member of the middle and upper middle class world, and they will still inherit all of the bad **** from their great grandfather.  Addiction, abuse, and domestic traumas all seem to linger on for generations no matter what you do, where you live, and how much money you have.  It's like seeing your mom and dad scream at each other when you're six is a life sentence for dysfunctional adult relationships.  The Scottish and Scotch-Irish immigrants to America are a failed people prone to prejudice, tribalism, violence, addiction, depression, hopelessness, and self destruction.  Appalachia is doomed.

Thank God that I'm Italian, eh?

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Which part of Italy?

JK, I'm sure you're fine.  I'm Scottish and was born in Appalachia and I don't have a lot of good things to say about my kind.

Calabria. We are a violent people.

My great grandmother had to come to America because she was on trial for attempted murder. She stabbed the man that got her pregnant. Her sister had made arrangements to come to the US and marry my great-grandfather, despite the fact that she had never met him. My great grandmother left the child with the sister, took the sister's ticket, and came to Ellis Island. She agreed to marry my great-grandfather because she was a woman of her word.

At one point in her 50s, she pistol-whipped a neighbor who has abusing his wife.

There are 7 attorneys and two doctors in my generation of cousins. None of us live in West Virginia. America is already great.

(By the way, everyone needs to watch the movie Matewan. I'm sure I've recommended this before, because I constantly recommend it. It's about the coal field wars, specifically the Matewan Massacre. I watched that when I was about 13, and it played a large role in my political radicalization).

Also, shouldn't Major be working today earning his new big contract? We should change his avatar to Haynesworth.

39 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Also, shouldn't Major be working today earning his new big contract? We should change his avatar to Haynesworth.

During the strike I was told we don’t do much. Just holding up my end. 

For real though, I sneak them in between classes and I have a long planning period. 

37 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dewey!

My man!   I coached him in 7,8 & 9th grade.  I always thought he was better at basketball. Shows what I know.   

I am beginning to wonder if we know each other lol. 

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Also, shouldn't you be working today earning your new big contract? We should change your avator to Haynesworth.

Are you confusing me with Major Harris?  I'm steve, the one who always wins our basketball arguments.

My family's story is the opposite of yours.  My ancestor immigrated to America from Scotland in the early 1700's.  My great Aunt told me a story that he got a land grant in Kentucky from the King, who instructed him to climb the tallest hill in the area and that everything he could see from there was his.  She is very old though, I don't know if that story is true.  He established a prominent political dynasty in Kentucky whose descendants were veterans of the French and Indian and Revolutionary and Civil Wars, as well as politicians serving in Congress and the cabinets of two administrations.  I'm hesitant to ever talk about this because I don't want people to think less of me for something I can't control, but one of my ancestors was a Confederate General who was Vice President and ran against Abraham Lincoln in 1860.  I don't know much about our family history, but I think you can pretty much assume there was a steady Faulknerian degeneration and decline until you get to me and my terrible generation.  There are like two good men left in my family.  The women are the all that redeem us.

I do know my great grandfather was an abusive alcoholic who was a boxing champion at Fort Monroe and my grandfather said he saw him beat up strangers in the street from time to time but he wouldn't tell me about what he did to him.

54 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

My man!   I coached him in 7,8 & 9th grade.  I always thought he was better at basketball. Shows what I know.   

I am beginning to wonder if we know each other lol. 

Probably so, my son attends 5th grade at Blue Ridge.  I graduated from Jefferson in 98.  Towns too small not to have crossed paths.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Are you confusing me with Major Harris?  I'm steve, the one who always wins our basketball arguments.

My family's story is the opposite of yours.  My ancestor immigrated to America from Scotland in the early 1700's.  My great Aunt told me a story that he got a land grant in Kentucky from the King, who instructed him to climb the tallest hill in the area and that everything he could see from there was his.  She is very old though, I don't know if that story is true.  He established a prominent political dynasty in Kentucky whose descendants were veterans of the French and Indian and Revolutionary and Civil Wars, as well as politicians serving in Congress and the cabinets of two administrations.  I'm hesitant to ever talk about this because I don't want people to think less of me for something I can't control, but one of my ancestors was a Confederate General who was Vice President and ran against Abraham Lincoln in 1860.  I don't know much about our family history, but I think you can pretty much assume there was a steady Faulknerian degeneration and decline until you get to me and my terrible generation.  There are like two good men left in my family.  The women are the all that redeem us.

I do know my great grandfather was an abusive alcoholic who was a boxing champion at Fort Monroe and my grandfather said he saw him beat up strangers in the street from time to time but he wouldn't tell me about what he did to him.

One of my best friends is a direct descendent of Nathan Bedford Forrest - a man with a rather complicated legacy to say the least.

You should read The Little Friend by Donna Tartt one day.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Friend-Donna-Tartt/dp/1400031699

Also, I just investigated your entire family tree and came to the conclusion that you are very disappointing indeed.

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Probably so, my son attends 5th grade at Blue Ridge.  I graduated from Jefferson in 98.  Towns too small not to have crossed paths.

Ryan Creek beat my baseball team in 1991.

West Virginia is an incredibly small universe It's also possible that you know my cousins from Martinsburg. They would be around your age.

That's my entire connection to the Eastern Panhandle by the way. I'm generally of the opinion that it should be sold to Maryland.

That's a lie: I know two other people from Jefferson High. One went to Princeton with me but seemed totally unwilling to bond over our shared West Virginia-ness. There were only like 12 of us there, and I'm pretty sure that only two of us actually liked the place.

The other went to school with the person mentioned above. She and I attended a smart kids camp together in July of 91. She was rather attractive and last I heard ran some kind of yoga academy. Life is weird.

Archived