Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Podcast Recommendations

Heisenberg

• 3 weeks later...

Crimetown is back!

Detroit is the town this season. 

and, of course, a plug.. this year's Bang Radio Hour is off to a great start.. our 14th season. Muppet Mahomes, Testiclēs th God of Balls.. and a lot more fun.

www.bangradiohour.com

~Bang

The Daily Zeitgeist

The Cracked Podcast

The Bill Simmons Podcast

The Read (although I am not sure this board's demographics would be that interested in listening to two black queer people talk about pop culture and relationship issues)

What's Good With Stretch and Bobbito

Code Switch

Behind the Bast*rds (It is spelled like the name of a fatherless child. Great podcast on the lives of history's worst people)

The Lowe Post (the best NBA podcast)

This American Life

Uncivil (great podcast about the Civil War)

Serial (new season is good)

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 4:34 PM, Elessar78 said:

There's about 3 dozen episodes up right now. Maybe more. And it just goes into depth about many aspects of the Fall of Rome so it's not superficial. 

The host does a lot of historical podcasts. He's got his masters or PhD in some type of European history but he stated he doesn't want the podcasts to be stilted academic stuff, so tries to make it more accessible to run of the mill enthusiasts (not hardcore period geeks). And he does, he makes the podcast interesting by using narrative or creating a fictional character who we "follow" through daily life. A lot of stuff is very recent and doesn't rely entirely on decades old research. In one recent episode he cited research a scientist was doing that could change what he just reported (matter of weeks/months)—so it feels fresh. 

On 7/20/2018 at 5:24 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks, I’ll check it out. Sounds right up my alley. :cheers:

Following up on this, I am about 1/2 done with this series, it is excellent.  Thanks for the recommendation.  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Following up on this, I am about 1/2 done with this series, it is excellent.  Thanks for the recommendation.  

Glad to know. I had to take a hiatus—I have my kids in the car a lot lately and that's when I listen to podcasts. This one with Black Death this, descriptions of death in battle that is probably more than I want my kids processing before I drop them off at school.

• 3 months later...

@Spaceman Spiff, I was introduced to Joe Rogan podcasts a while back and it's all I've been listening to for months.  One of the best out there.  

Rogan has everybody on, from Killer Mike to Alex Jones (just last week).  Rogan allows anyone who people might want to hear from a chair on his show, no matter how controversial.  I respect that.  

Lots of good discussions about psychedelics, too.  ;)

Just now, Chew said:

@Spaceman Spiff, I was introduced to Joe Rogan podcasts a while back and it's all I've been listening to for months.  One of the best out there.  

Rogan has everybody on, from Killer Mike to Alex Jones (just last week).  Rogan allows anyone who people might want to hear from a chair on his show, no matter how controversial.  I respect that.  

Lots of good discussions about psychedelics, too.  ;)

Well at least someone has an open mind around here ;) 

The new David Lee Roth one is great :ols: IMO, his is the best due to the longform and the wide variety of people he has on.  Great to listen to while working.  But this one with Ioan Grillo is pretty gripping.

Obviously saw the Andrew Yang JRE (as well as the LOS one) 

Don't listen regularly enough

Mostly listen to local sports podcasts which are miles better than local radio. Redskins talk, Capitals Talk, and Racing Presidents (Redskins, Caps and Nationals respectively) are all solid NBCS Washington podcasts. For non sports I would recommend Sam Harris one which is okay as well as Freakanomics Radio. 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

What does everyone use to play their podcasts?  I use Overcast. 

Work is cracking down a bit on podcasts over the cloud but when I'm at home I like to use PodParadise.com. Normally I'd be able to listen to podcasts throughout the workday, then go home and pick up where I left off on the home computer which is good. But of course the firewall is cracking down so I am using MusicBee right now. 

On 10/29/2018 at 8:26 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fall of a Titan, it's a re-examination of Steve McNair's murder/suicide.  

Word on the streets is that McNair was found castrated with his junk in his mouth.

That one falls apart quick IMO. 

34 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Work is cracking down a bit on podcasts over the cloud but when I'm at home I like to use PodParadise.com. Normally I'd be able to listen to podcasts throughout the workday, then go home and pick up where I left off on the home computer which is good. But of course the firewall is cracking down so I am using MusicBee right now. 

My work blocks a ton of stuff, so I have to use my phone.  In any event, I mostly listen in my car anyways, so again phone.  

I will add Capitals Talk to the list, which is Rob Carlin and Allen May doing postgamers. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Obviously saw the Andrew Yang JRE (as well as the LOS one) 

Don't listen regularly enough

Mostly listen to local sports podcasts which are miles better than local radio. Redskins talk, Capitals Talk, and Racing Presidents (Redskins, Caps and Nationals respectively) are all solid NBCS Washington podcasts. For non sports I would recommend Sam Harris

You're the second person here who I'm surprised to see likes Harris. 

Anyone listen to the radio-serial style podcasts?

I rather enjoyed Wolf 359, which starts out as kind of an episodic comedy about the hijinx of a bored communications officer aboard a space station orbiting Wolf 359, but it starts to serialize into a coherent story that is more dramatic than you'd expect from the comedic tone.

I started to get into Archive 81, which takes a surreal approach with a guy getting a job to go live in the middle of no-where for a few months and listen to some tapes and take notes.  The tapes start to raise some intrigue with apparently super-natural phenomena happening.  I don't want to give away too much about where the story goes, but they did a good job in terms of world-building, in my opinion.

Archived