Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay was just going with his gut there.   His take is different from Breer.   Breer thinks the Redskins  are in consideration by Kirk in FA.  Finlay thinks Kirk's preference is to move on.  Finlay also thinks if the Redskins hit Kirk with a really good deal -- major guaranteed money he could be had before FA.  

Finlay was much more all over the place to me about Kirk than Breer. 

Too bad all this stuff is going down in March.  Waiting will be torture. 

Problem is waiting until March makes no sense to the Redskins FO , we need to offer cousins a LTD offer NOW, not next week or next month but NOW, if we wait until March in my opinion cousin's will not be a Redskin next year. 

HTTR 

Some people on here have advocated for a trade of Kirk to a QB needy team where we'd be able to obtain something more than a compensatory 3rd in 2019 if he walks in FA.  After doing a bit of research, the only player to actually have signed a Franchise tag (which would have to happen in order to actually trade Kirk) is Matt Cassel back in 2009.  The Patriots gave the Chiefs Cassel and Mike Vrabel (12 yr vet at the time) and received a high 2nd (34th overall pick).  So, with that in mind and assuming trade conditions haven't increased since then (unlikely), the best we could probably do would be to get the Browns 1st pick in the 2nd rd (33rd overall) and also send a player or additional pick.  I'm sure Kirk would have to be on board with this ahead of time as well (prior to signing the tag) knowing a LTD is already in place for him to sign once the trade is approved, just like what occurred with Cassel back then.

45 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Your confusing cap number and cash number. In Paul’s example there is 70 in bonus payments and 100 million guaranteed at signing. It’s up front money and guaranteed money that really matter not the puffed up per year average everyone talks about. 100 million guaranteed versus a one year tag ar 28/34 million is a more interesting choice. Although it’s sounding like we don’t intend to tag now.

I guess I just don't understand what I am looking at. I keep going off of the spotrac numbers for the cap hit. I wasn't looking at anything but that for all of the contracts. I wasn't getting into the details of it just looking at the cap hit number itself. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/

14 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Problem is waiting until March makes no sense to the Redskins FO , we need to offer cousins a LTD offer NOW, not next week or next month but NOW, if we wait until March in my opinion cousin's will not be a Redskin next year. 

HTTR 

I guess their thinking is that Kirk won't have as many suitors as some think and that he won't get the kind of offers he's looking for so we might be able to have him cheaper if we at least match those or offer a bit more.

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I guess their thinking is that Kirk won't have as many suitors as some think and that he won't get the kind of offers he's looking for so we might be able to have him cheaper if we at least match those or offer a bit more.

There thinking has ****** us up in the past and will again. It's now or never for cousin's to remain a Redskin. 

HTTR 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just caught up with Albert Breer's segment from the other day on 980.  Some of his thoughts:

A. Kirk loved McVay.  McVay leaving didn't help.  

B. The way Scot was handled gave the vibe that dysfunction is back in the building.  That didn't help.

C. Kirk likes it but doesn't love it here.  So he's open to staying, open to leaving

D. Jay would like Kirk back but he and people in the building don't see Kirk as irreplaceable

E. They don't want to do the one year rentals anymore

F. They toyed with letting Kirk hit the market last year to let the market set the price,  Their Plan B was Mike Glennon.  Some coaches really liked Glennon.

G. They are likely going to let Kirk hit the market this year -- they figure its their best shot at a LTD.  They will make an offer.

H: The teams in competition for Kirk: Jax, Denver, Browns, Jets.  The Browns are a more attractive destination now than some think

I.  They are unlikely to franchise tag him because that would likely prohibit a LTD.  And its very difficult to make a trade out of that tag

J. There is a small chance they transition tag him.  But he doesn't think they do.  Problem is if some team wants him they can stack the contract to make it unattractive for the Redskins to match. 

Hard to know whats true but Breer obviously has ties with Kirks agent.  So lets assume thats all true just for a moment.  Two things

1.  Kirk is 100 percent gone, gone, gone.  No chance he comes back.  Zero.  Those comments are just him being diplomatic

2.  Kirks head is pretty damn big and his loyalty is pretty damn low.  Gotta say that is dissapointing to some extent in Kirk the human being.  Sure the skins FO has handled this badly, but lets not forget it was the Redskins who drafted him, it was the redskins who gave him a shot (he sucked TOTAL ass), and then it was the redskins who gave him a shot again.  The redskins have also paid him $45 million over the past two seasons.  And now hes oyt shopping around to play for a winner?  Seriously, that is some pretty disgusting, gutless, asshole behavior.

So i hope Breer is misinformed, or that this is all part of his agents negotiation

44 minutes ago, zoony said:

Hard to know whats true but Breer obviously has ties with Kirks agent.  So lets assume thats all true just for a moment.  Two things

1.  Kirk is 100 percent gone, gone, gone.  No chance he comes back.  Zero.  Those comments are just him being diplomatic

2.  Kirks head is pretty damn big and his loyalty is pretty damn low.  Gotta say that is dissapointing to some extent in Kirk the human being.  Sure the skins FO has handled this badly, but lets not forget it was the Redskins who drafted him, it was the redskins who gave him a shot (he sucked TOTAL ass), and then it was the redskins who gave him a shot again.  The redskins have also paid him $45 million over the past two seasons.  And now hes oyt shopping around to play for a winner?  Seriously, that is some pretty disgusting, gutless, asshole behavior.

So i hope Breer is misinformed, or that this is all part of his agents negotiation

And that's why after being on his side...I'm now saying **** him.

hes had his payday...playing us for the fool

If he forces a tranny tag.......ill smack the groceries out of his grandmas hands

I believe Kirk loves football and he likes the Redskins, but doesn’t love them. I remember watching  game at the tail end of the season and watching Kirk spaz because he threw a pick. Something he doesn’t usually do. And then after a TD pass he breathed DEEP on the sideline. 

In my opinion that was certainly partially due to the team losing/winning at the time of each, but at the point of the season we were, already eliminated from contention, and the fact hed never really done that before, I got the overwhelming feeling that was about money.

Kirk likes the Skins enough to play in DC. But he doesn’t love them enough to forego better (likely even marginally) monetary offers.

Tough to fault the man for that. But it’s tough to get behind him.

47 minutes ago, zoony said:

2.  Kirks head is pretty damn big and his loyalty is pretty damn low.  Gotta say that is dissapointing to some extent in Kirk the human being. 

so because he may want a shot at a better situation hes disloyal but if the team decided, to use an annoying phrase, to go in a different direction its just business. just like when a player starts to get a little long in the tooth and is subsequently unloaded one way or the other everyone puts their baby GM hats on, rubs their chin and sagely pronounces that "its tough but the best move for the team" or "its what good teams do"

well, this may be what good players do, LEAVE BAD and BADLY RUN TEAMS for a shot at glory before ALL of their few years are wasted.

if we as fans having our entire lives to root for a team are losing steam why on earth should an actual player with finite prime physical prowess have any loyalty to this franchise whatsoever?

9 minutes ago, onedrop said:

so because he may want a shot at a better situation hes disloyal but if the team decided, to use an annoying phrase, to go in a different direction its just business. just like when a player starts to get a little long in the tooth and is subsequently unloaded one way or the other everyone puts their baby GM hats on, rubs their chin and sagely pronounces that "its tough but the best move for the team" or "its what good teams do"

well, this may be what good players do, LEAVE BAD and BADLY RUN TEAMS for a shot at glory before ALL of their few years are wasted.

if we as fans having our entire lives to root for a team are losing steam why on earth should an actual player with finite prime physical prowess have any loyalty to this franchise whatsoever?

naw **** him. I'm not being paid 1 cent,actually I'm in the negative....I'm still here.

he isn't lightning in a bottle....hes legit medium, not lightning in a bottle though.

if he doesn't want to build something here, let him walk 

3 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

I guess I just don't understand what I am looking at. I keep going off of the spotrac numbers for the cap hit. I wasn't looking at anything but that for all of the contracts. I wasn't getting into the details of it just looking at the cap hit number itself. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/

I like this site a little better: https://overthecap.com/   Seem to have a few more details. Both are good sites though. 

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

In all fairness they may have made him an offer and are in the process of negotiating. It's unlikely there would be anything public unless they come to agreement or the March 6th deadline hits. My glass half full outlook is going to think they are. I will wait till March 6th to be disappointed. No need to dwell on it now. Just makes you crazy. 

14 minutes ago, onedrop said:

this may be what good players do, LEAVE BAD and BADLY RUN TEAMS for a shot at glory before ALL of their few years are wasted.

No, cant really blame him.  The Redskins are a **** organization and always will be as long as that **** owner is there.  But still, there is something to the arrogance of trying to go play for a winner which is always pretty disgusting to witness.

Compare that to a guy like Pat Tillman, who said over and over he would always be loyal to the Cardinals who drafted him, because he wanted to turn it around.

But back to the original point, this **** franchise is about to be part of my history, too.  Im giving it until around the draft to see what happens.  But i just cant root for these asshole losers much longer

3 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

naw **** him. I'm not being paid 1 cent,actually I'm in the negative....I'm still here.

he isn't lightning in a bottle....hes legit medium, not lightning in a bottle though.

if he doesn't want to build something here, let him walk 

hes a player, you and I are just fans. this is how he makes his money...for now. you cannot compare yourself to a pro athlete in terms lifelong loyalty. do you play fantasy football? if so do you root for non redskin players? same thing, one just wants their pretend team of stat collection to do well so they can brag. players want to leave ****ty organizations so they have a mere chance of success. NO ONE is ever getting that chance here with our current owner. NO ONE.

the team owes players nothing because of the huge money paid out that everyone is always whining about. BUT that money is for services rendered and based on contracts agreed to by both sides so the player in turn owes the team nothing when said contract is up. especially after being tagged twice.

11 minutes ago, onedrop said:

hes a player, you and I are just fans. this is how he makes his money...for now. you cannot compare yourself to a pro athlete in terms lifelong loyalty. do you play fantasy football? if so do you root for non redskin players? same thing, one just wants their pretend team of stat collection to do well so they can brag. players want to leave ****ty organizations so they have a mere chance of success. NO ONE is ever getting that chance here with our current owner. NO ONE.

the team owes players nothing because of the huge money paid out that everyone is always whining about. BUT that money is for services rendered and based on contracts agreed to by both sides so the player in turn owes the team nothing when said contract is up. especially after being tagged twice.

so You could easily be describing a cowboys player to me right now.

Hes making more than any player on the team, even with a new contract that was in our best interest....at least act the part. get it done, get to work

I feel like Kirk has known for a while that he didn't want to be here long term. Ever since we found out that the Skins made an offer and Kirk's side never responded I was like "yeah, this dude wants out". Was it a great offer? No. But it was a starting offer...that's the whole "negotiation" thing. I feel like if Kirk truly wanted to be here he and his agent would have come back with their own number and then at least seen where it went from there. Oh well. 

14 minutes ago, zoony said:

But back to the original point, this **** franchise is about to be part of my history, too.  Im giving it until around the draft to see what happens.  But i just cant root for these asshole losers much longer

Cool man, looking forward to seeing more of your posts in the Stadium next season. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I feel like Kirk has known for a while that he didn't want to be here long term. Ever since we found out that the Skins made an offer and Kirk's side never responded I was like "yeah, this dude wants out". Was it a great offer? No. But it was a starting offer...that's the whole "negotiation" thing. I feel like if Kirk truly wanted to be here he and his agent would have come back with their own number and then at least seen where it went from there. Oh well. 

Kirk is gonna get paid.  He's gonna get paid here or he's gonna get paid somewhere else.  

That said, do you stay in a place that's so dysfunctional or do you go somewhere else and try to start new?  It's certainly about the money but if the money could be roughly the same here or somewhere else....why stay here?

We are ****ed.  Cousins is gonna go and the braintrusts here really liked Glennon.  That's the type of talent they'd have replaced him with.  Awesome.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

2.  Kirks head is pretty damn big and his loyalty is pretty damn low.  Gotta say that is dissapointing to some extent in Kirk the human being.  Sure the skins FO has handled this badly, but lets not forget it was the Redskins who drafted him, it was the redskins who gave him a shot

Tying what Breer said with what other people have said.  He didn't feel that respected by the FO for a good part of the negotiation.  And he doesn't think the FO is Super Bowl caliber at least compared to some of the better run teams in the league.  

So I think on his end, he just wants to both make money and win.  And, he perhaps thinks they squandered the good will from being the franchise that drafted him.  The guy who drafted him is gone.  And I gather the guy who he was closest to in the building (McVay) is gone, too. 

If anyone should feel slighted, it would be Jay.   It wouldn't be Bruce-Dan considering their part in all the craziness since he's been here. 

Edit:  though I am not going to feel sorry for the FO until they offer him a market deal.  As Joe Banner, ex-president of the Eagles (talking about his own experience with contracts) said on 980 after getting into all of Kirk and his agent's stances on the negotiation  -- he goes something to the effect with all of that the Redskins though haven't offered him a serious deal so Kirk and his agent can't really take the Redskins seriously just yet.

Archived