Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 49ers Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Overall: God damn refs! There's no way that Vernon Davis catch was a fumble. Absolute screw job. Wait a minute... Offensive PI??? Good game refs!

C+

Offense: Very uneven. Way too many Chris Thompson inside runs. Wanted a better mix of Brown and Perrine too. Obviously, Gruden doesn't really trust them. Cousins had an up and down game. Accurate on the short and middle game, but way off with the long ball. Delivered when it counted.

C

Defense: Stellar first half. They let their foot off the gas when it was 17-0  and had a really tough time getting it back. Another game with way too many guys getting dinged up. I think the second half was a matter of lost focus and injuries. The final stand was just barely good enough. Whew.

C

Special Teams: That missed extra point probably should have cost us the game. Great job grabbing the onsides kick. Nothing really impressive in the punt or kickoff game, but we really let them have one scary return.

C-

Coaching. Up and down. Manusky went soft at times and we paid. What I did like was that instead of reacting to injuries with a super soft zone like Barry and Haslett, he upped the pressure. I think it's a better strategy and meant the thinner secondary didn't have to cover as long. It did result in some scary runs by the QB though.

Just now, redskinss said:

I just need to calm down and realize we won. 

I've never been so pissed off by a win in my life. 

I'm not pissed, but I do realize we probably should have lost this game and there's no damn way we should have lost this game. We came out to play and then went into coast mode after 17-0. The other team kept playing.

Positives:

We beat a rookie QB. Finally. And we didn't lose to to an 0-5 team. Wooo.

DJ Swearinger. He gave the 49ers 4 points, but he did it because our feelings were hurt. I like it when we strike back like that. He's a team leader, he's showing the good stuff. I hope more players follow in his path. I want a whole team of leaders like him.

Kirk is an excellent punter. He tried to punt earlier, but the stupid refs called it back. Good on him for punting again and getting better yardage.

That said, he did come up clutch on the drive for a TD. Those runs are what I want, because regardless of whose fault it was, the passing game was anemic. Get those yards where you can.

Quinton Dunbar played decently. I won't say he was great, but he got the job done, which is the most I'll ask from him.

Negatives:

We let an 0-5 team get within 2 points of winning.

Our players are made of cardboard.

Jay Gruden continues to confound me with his playcalling.

Pryor is terrible, Reed and Crowder are MIA. The running game is not happening and the play calling is conservative.

Defensively playing quite well. Brown is fantastic. Sign him now.

Special teams poor. Missed point, poor punt and didn't react to man over on onside kick.

Overall B+ first half, C- second.

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I just need to calm down and realize we won. 

I've never been so pissed off by a win in my life. 

you need to realize we won, we were always winning, we were meant to win.

What gave you a doubt...our past?

we are moving in the ring direction

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm not pissed, but I do realize we probably should have lost this game and there's no damn way we should have lost this game. We came out to play and then went into coast mode after 17-0. The other team kept playing.

Same with the Falcons today.  Were up 17-0 at the half, and blew it (just like the SB:rofl89:) down the stretch.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

We would have lost it in years past.

But we didn't. So we still have some resiliency to show.

This game had a couple jinxs we beat...1 rookie QB coming in...it's like red face Jr. Knew about this jinx...#2 we weren't the reason a no win team goes on a winning streak...

Celebrate the win...we didn't let the past let us lose...

Yes...I been drinking

Offense took its foot off the pedal at 17-0.  Defense played well enough to win in the end.  Chris Thompson is a good safety valve against not good teams like the Rams, Raiders, and SF.  Good teams like KC and Philly take him away.  Gruden needs to develop a good run game otherwise teams will tee off against Cousins.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Overall: God damn refs! There's no way that Vernon Davis catch was a fumble. Absolute screw job. Wait a minute... Offensive PI??? Good game refs!

C+

Offense: Very uneven. Way too many Chris Thompson inside runs. Wanted a better mix of Brown and Perrine too. Obviously, Gruden doesn't really trust them. Cousins had an up and down game. Accurate on the short and middle game, but way off with the long ball. Delivered when it counted.

C

Defense: Stellar first half. They let their foot off the gas when it was 17-0  and had a really tough time getting it back. Another game with way too many guys getting dinged up. I think the second half was a matter of lost focus and injuries. The final stand was just barely good enough. Whew.

C

Special Teams: That missed extra point probably should have cost us the game. Great job grabbing the onsides kick. Nothing really impressive in the punt or kickoff game, but we really let them have one scary return.

C-

Coaching. Up and down. Manusky went soft at times and we paid. What I did like was that instead of reacting to injuries with a super soft zone like Barry and Haslett, he upped the pressure. I think it's a better strategy and meant the thinner secondary didn't have to cover as long. It did result in some scary runs by the QB though.

C C and C- avg to an overall C+? Wish you were my professor back in the day!

But I'm with you, we're certainly in the C range. This reminded me of the chiefs game where we dominated the first quarter and then fell apart. Romo was commentating the other day and mentioned there's a game script for the first 20plays or so, then after that it's all add lib... I like gruden, but this may be an issue.I

Regardless. We won a game where we lost the turnover battle and suffered even more injuries, so I'll remain content.

This was a garbage game...Kirk off all game, horrible clock management, horrible coaching, horrible play calling...very surprised we got away with a win. Hopkins has been iffy for awhile can’t miss XP just can’t. 

Glad and we got a W but this is not the team that beat Oakland and almost beat KC what happened! 

I think Gruden really played weak weenie in the last series.  You have a deplete defense and a San Fran team moving the ball fairly well with a rookie QB.  You have to a least throw a screen on 2nd and try to secure the 1st and the game.  There is so many injuries, guys playing hurt on D and I just do not like anemic play calling.

BUT with that said how many times do the typical Skins lose a game like this?  But they are far from typical.  This is a decent team that is out of the hole of mediocrity.  

Garson ironically lost that game for them.  Pushed them out of FG range for sure.  

We need to heal up if we are going to play tough against Philthy and Kirk has to work on some accuracy in terms of the long ball.

Archived