Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: STATEMENT FROM THE #REDSKINS - Su’a Cravens

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

September 18, 2017

STATEMENT FROM THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS

“Today the Redskins have officially placed Su’a Cravens on the Reserve/Left Squad list. In accordance with the NFL Constitution and Bylaws, Su’a will not be permitted to return to the club for the remainder of the 2017 NFL season, including the postseason. We sincerely hope that Su’a uses this time away from the club to reflect upon whether or not he’d like to resume his career in the National Football League in 2018.”

9 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Really makes you wonder about the front office--this is a massive screw up by them.  I don't blame the 22 year old nearly as much as I blame our front office for not doing enough diligence on the guy.  Completely unacceptable.

By front office, you mean Scoty Mac, right?  His time here is looking worse and worse.  However, not blaming Sua for this, at least partially, is naive and unfair in my opinion.  He has to take responsibility for his his decisions and the consequences they have on others.  There are tons of 22 year old men who have played this game and didn't **** on their teams like Sua has.  It has nothing to do with age; it's about the man.

I still think that concussion he suffered last year that nearly blinded him is still impacting him, at least mentally/emotionally/psychologically. No amount of scouting can prepare you for that. It is what it is.

I hope Cravens has plans for his life as far as making a living now that he's basically punting his football career away.

1 hour ago, Taylor 36 said:

By front office, you mean Scoty Mac, right?  His time here is looking worse and worse.  However, not blaming Sua for this, at least partially, is naive and unfair in my opinion.  He has to take responsibility for his his decisions and the consequences they have on others.  There are tons of 22 year old men who have played this game and didn't **** on their teams like Sua has.  It has nothing to do with age; it's about the man.

Read what I wrote carefully: I didn't say I don't blame him; I said I don't blame him as much as the front office. I agree that he's old enough to be accountable for his actions. But the fact is that he had disappeared in college before and that should have been a massive red flag. And while Scotty M is gone, he would have relied on our scouts to compile info on the guy, and clearly someone didn't do their job here. 

2 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Read what I wrote carefully: I didn't say I don't blame him; I said I don't blame him as much as the front office. I agree that he's old enough to be accountable for his actions. But the fact is that he had disappeared in college before and that should have been a massive red flag. And while Scotty M is gone, he would have relied on our scouts to compile info on the guy, and clearly someone didn't do their job here. 

... or they did and Scott decided the upside risk was worth the gamble. I mean how many people quit on their NFL dream? It's pretty damn rare. So maybe the scouts and Scottie blew it or maybe McCloughan got snowed and Cravens sold him something when interviewing that both believed to be true that just wasn't.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

... or they did and Scott decided the upside risk was worth the gamble. I mean how many people quit on their NFL dream? It's pretty damn rare. So maybe the scouts and Scottie blew it or maybe McCloughan got snowed and Cravens sold him something when interviewing that both believed to be true that just wasn't.

All very possible scenarios. Just wish we hadn't completely wiffed on a second round pick. 

3 hours ago, skins4eva said:

Really makes you wonder about the front office--this is a massive screw up by them.  I don't blame the 22 year old nearly as much as I blame our front office for not doing enough diligence on the guy.  Completely unacceptable.

You can't blame the fo for the guy being a complete nutjob. He checked all the boxes and said all the right things before getting drafted. The fo is to blame for many things, this isn't one of them.

53 minutes ago, Hail4Life said:

If all this is due to injury concerns then i don't think you can blame the FO. You cant foresee something like this.

I don't think this is all about injury concerns. I think it's about an immature kid who doesn't really love football, who after getting an injury, realized he would rather tweet and Snapchat that play pro ball. 

If he doesn't love the game and doesn't want to play, all the power to him. He did, however, quit on the team right before the start of the season. He put the team in a very bad spot. He should have been mature enough to make this decision sooner and in a more decisive manner. 

Whatever the case, I hope he never suits up for the Redskins again. This whole thing was a massive failure by all involved. 

Wishing him good health and recover from what ever he is experiencing soon. Whatever demons he is fighting must be really big as he is giving a lot of money back to the Redskins. Sure he messed up but I won't pass any judgement as the person who is going through whatever knows what they are going through and no one else will understand that fully. 

35 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I don't think this is all about injury concerns. I think it's about an immature kid who doesn't really love football, who after getting an injury, realized he would rather tweet and Snapchat that play pro ball. 

If he doesn't love the game and doesn't want to play, all the power to him. He did, however, quit on the team right before the start of the season. He put the team in a very bad spot. He should have been mature enough to make this decision sooner and in a more decisive manner. 

Whatever the case, I hope he never suits up for the Redskins again. This whole thing was a massive failure by all involved. 

You can tell people just don't really understand Sua around here. Not surprising  considering the fans are bias to the production of the team and we wasted a 2nd rounder on him. This society doesn't really understand the taboo discussion of mental illness. In addition, Sua is extremely immature, this was always known about him. He actually loves football, he just doesn't have the ability to put his emotions aside and realize a few weeks of rehab gets him back on the field. This is where he suffers.

There has been no evidence to back up his claims about how severe his concussion was last year. He just can't handle injuries and recovery time. He became furious when team officials told him that he wouldn't be playing in the Colosseum this year. Hence why he decided to return but the team has already moved on. In a brilliant power move by the FO, they want to see the kid sleep in the bed he made for the year and really test his desire for the game. Can't blame them at all. 

17 minutes ago, Rocky52Mc said:

He became furious when team officials told him that he wouldn't be playing in the Colosseum this year. Hence why he decided to return but the team has already moved on. In a brilliant power move by the FO, they want to see the kid sleep in the bed he made for the year and really test his desire for the game. Can't blame them at all. 

100% agree. I said in the other Cravens thread that a month wasn't long enough for the kid to learn from all of this. Nothing good could have came out of letting this drag out any longer, and I'd go as far as to say letting him come back this year was 90 percent likely to do more harm than good, mainly in terms of the locker room and team chemistry. 

Shelving him for this year and letting him do some soul searching while being forced to watch the games on TV is actually the only chance at salvaging this kids career. 

While I think the chances are slim, there is a chance this is the wakeup call he needed, and at least we still have his rights if it is. We won't be forced to watch him figure out life and then flourish on another team.

I still find it hilarious however that this was the straw that broke the camels back as far as fan perception of Scot's tenure. I've literally watched the fanbase turn on the man they once were picketing outside of Redskins park for when he was fired. Over draft picks that the man admitted himself are crap-shoots no matter how gifted of an eye you have or how much due diligence you do.

This is yet another reason why I laugh when people complain over us drafting "yet another OLB in the 2nd round". Our most hated draftpick on draft weekend, Montae Nicholson is looking mighty smart right about now. Dont wish for us to be like the Giants, Ravens, and Steelers of the league when we draft BPA and often times to positions of perceived strength if you secretly still want to plug every perceived hole on the team every offseason. Its a slow, grueling process to build a team through the draft the right way and it requires patience. Im glad we took Nicholson over a Nose Tackle if we felt the talent didnt equal BPA. We seem to be stopping the run just fine so far with NT-by-committee this year, and the overall talent improvement + better coaching might just have been more important than the one position some thought would doom the team for not plugging with a high draft pick or high priced-FA.

So if he "retires", he owes the Redskins approx $1 Mill in salary repayment, but if he expressed a desire to return and the 'Skins said "no thanks, maybe next year"  are they essentially releasing him for the year and Su'a still gets his contracted salary?? I don't see the NFLPA, ,Mara, and Su'as agent just letting our decision allow us to retain his rights and yet get our salary room back. Teams would be using this loophole left and right. 

3 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

So if he "retires", he owes the Redskins approx $1 Mill in salary repayment, but if he expressed a desire to return and the 'Skins said "no thanks, maybe next year"  are they essentially releasing him for the year and Su'a still gets his contracted salary?? I don't see the NFLPA, ,Mara, and Su'as agent just letting our decision allow us to retain his rights and yet get our salary room back. Teams would be using this loophole left and right. 

Cravens won't get paid and his contract essentially tolls. If he ever comes back, he's still under his rookie year deal with three year remaining. It doesn't really seem like much of a loophole. The player loses out big time and the team is hurt by missing said player. But if the player just leaves (which is what Cravens did), then the team shouldn't be penalized. No other team can use this designation unless a player just outright leaves

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Cravens won't get paid and his contract essentially tolls. If he ever comes back, he's still under his rookie year deal with three year remaining. It doesn't really seem like much of a loophole. The player loses out big time and the team is hurt by missing said player. But if the player just leaves (which is what Cravens did), then the team shouldn't be penalized. No other team can use this designation unless a player just outright leaves

..like Scotty McGem "left" to clean out his Grandmas attic. I see a potential loophole

Archived