Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

Ah, our Sunday morning breaking news feed...

Oh so wait, you are a football player, but DON'T want to play... 

I theorized he'd be back because it became no fun explaining his position...  or more likely is here for the money, a few more paychecks. I envision another injury looming. If I am Gruden I drill him on exactly what happened on his vacation, basically make Cravens state his case at why we would want him back, and then tested hard in practice. I'd keep him inactive for the next few games (barring injuries) after tackling Perine 1 on 1 in practice for a few weeks. Properly test his decision before risking someone in our lineup that deep down doesn't want to be there.

13 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Ah, our Sunday morning breaking news feed...

Oh so wait, you are a football player, but DON'T want to play... 

I theorized he'd be back because it became no fun explaining his position...  or more likely is here for the money, a few more paychecks. I envision another injury looming. If I am Gruden I drill him on exactly what happened on his vacation, basically make Cravens state his case at why we would want him back, and then tested hard in practice. I'd keep inactive for the next few games (barring injuries) after tackling Perine 1 on 1 in practice for a few weeks. Properly test his decision before risking someone in our lineup that deep down doesn't want to be there.

I understand he has an opportunity that most of us would die for... but mental health issues are every bit as real as a physical injury. Clearly this young man is going through something. We should all stop treating him like one of the players we root for and instead pretend he is one of our children. I hope he did more than "clear his head..." I hope he is getting treatment and has mentors and family he can rely on.

One of the things that keeps getting floated around this story, is that it's a health issue.  Is that the case?  Then I hear it's a personal issue.  

I understand the right to privacy, but at some point there'll need to be something better disclosed on nature of the problem that has prompted Cravens to consider leaving football.  Otherwise, if he does want to return... the speculation around that "issue" will make it more difficult for Sua to come back, and fit in. 

For now, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt... and just hoping that he can resolve, or mitigate, or just become able to cope with whatever this "issue" is.  But still, I do occasionally wonder if the issue is simply he doesn't feel he can play well enough at the NFL level, and wants  get out while his 'college star' reputation is still intact.  

54 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

One of the things that keeps getting floated around this story, is that it's a health issue.  Is that the case?  Then I hear it's a personal issue.  

I understand the right to privacy, but at some point there'll need to be something better disclosed on nature of the problem that has prompted Cravens to consider leaving football.  Otherwise, if he does want to return... the speculation around that "issue" will make it more difficult for Sua to come back, and fit in. 

For now, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt... and just hoping that he can resolve, or mitigate, or just become able to cope with whatever this "issue" is.  But still, I do occasionally wonder if the issue is simply he doesn't feel he can play well enough at the NFL level, and wants  get out while his 'college star' reputation is still intact.  

Why, though?  All that matters is that the coaches and the other 52+ players in that locker room understand.  Frankly, it's none of our business and nothing should be disclosed to the public. 

2 hours ago, TheCoach22 said:

I understand he has an opportunity that most of us would die for... but mental health issues are every bit as real as a physical injury. Clearly this young man is going through something. We should all stop treating him like one of the players we root for and instead pretend he is one of our children. I hope he did more than "clear his head..." I hope he is getting treatment and has mentors and family he can rely on.

Sure, half the world is caught up with natural disaster and a third was already starving to death, but let me put on my sympathy pants for Lil suzy Cravens. 

I hope he makes the best decision for himself and as someone who's death with mental health issues and depression most of my life, I know it's serious.

But as for discussing the part which matters to me, his current profession, I don't want to listen to Sarah McLoughlin while talking about gladiators.

10 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Why, though?  All that matters is that the coaches and the other 52+ players in that locker room understand.  Frankly, it's none of our business and nothing should be disclosed to the public. 

It appears you are under the impression that the locker room understands.  Nobody in the locker room is going to go on record questioning him, but they are certainly doing it off the record.  So yeah, he's got some major damage control to do.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It appears you are under the impression that the locker room understands.  Nobody in the locker room is going to go on record questioning him, but they are certainly doing it off the record.  So yeah, he's got some major damage control to do.

Where did I say that? As long as the coaches and players in that locker room take him back, that's all that matters.  What we think as fans about Cravens and this situation is irrelevant. 

34 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

While I feel going the route of total respect for Craven's privacy is the high road -- I wonder how well it works in practice.  

I'd hope that the Skins coaches and players would respect it, but I suspect that would not be the case with the fan base and the media.  (I.e., similar to the microscope that people like McCloughan and Cousins were put under.). I suspect that Craven's secret "issue" would be spun via rumor and innuendo-- and become a major distraction.  I'm seeing a bit of that happening now.

To some degree, whenever someone gets into a high profile job --  that also puts them I n the public eye.  Once there, the player can only hope that nothing personal ever gets out onto the public arena. .  But Craven has already created/attracted some of this media/public interest (just like McCloughan did) and now I sense that the issue is not likely to go away quietly or soon.  And trying to wait the issue out, isn't going to make interest fade, or become less of a distraction.  

I was merely suggesting that at some point -- Craven's rep might need to get out in front of this, or at least reframe it with a better story...such as announcing  like Sua's coming back, that the temporary issue was totally resolved and won't be a factor going forward, and ask everyone to respect his privacy.   That m-I-g-h-t work, ?? ...Maybe? 

29 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

While I feel going the route of total respect for Craven's privacy is the high road -- I wonder how well it works in practice.  

I'd hope that the Skins coaches and players would respect it, but I suspect that would not be the case with the fan base and the media.  (I.e., similar to the microscope that people like McCloughan and Cousins were put under.). I suspect that Craven's secret "issue" would be spun via rumor and innuendo-- and become a major distraction.  I'm seeing a bit of that happening now.

To some degree, whenever someone gets into a high profile job --  that also puts them I n the public eye.  Once there, the player can only hope that nothing personal ever gets out onto the public arena. .  But Craven has already created/attracted some of this media/public interest (just like McCloughan did) and now I sense that the issue is not likely to go away quietly or soon.  And trying to wait the issue out, isn't going to make interest fade, or become less of a distraction.  

I was merely suggesting that at some point -- Craven's rep might need to get out in front of this, or at least reframe it with a better story...such as announcing  like Sua's coming back, that the temporary issue was totally resolved and won't be a factor going forward, and ask everyone to respect his privacy.   That m-I-g-h-t work, ?? ...Maybe? 

It will be a distraction until he hits the field.  All that will be out there will be "rumors."  Nothing confirmed, but just "rumors."  This is why I truly feel as though as long as he has the respect of the coaches/players, that's all that really matters if/when he returns. 

And honestly, if he produces, no one will care about the time he missed.  Apples/oranges, but you can look around the league over the years for situations involving players who had issues off the field (legal, or not,) as long as they produced, whatever they were going through on a personal level was forgiven by fanbases.  They'll be out there cheering for him for a great tackle, pick, sack, etc. 

9 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

It will be a distraction until he hits the field.  All that will be out there will be "rumors."  Nothing confirmed, but just "rumors."  This is why I truly feel as though as long as he has the respect of the coaches/players, that's all that really matters if/when he returns. 

And honestly, if he produces, no one will care about the time he missed.  Apples/oranges, but you can look around the league over the years for situations involving players who had issues off the field (legal, or not,) as long as they produced, whatever they were going through on a personal level was forgiven by fanbases.  They'll be out there cheering for him for a great tackle, pick, sack, etc. 

Lets face it, hes going to need to win back some relationships among players.  Probably will need to give an address to the entire team

That said, lets not pretend that they wouldnt forgive him, either.  Nothing hes done comes close to unforgiveable... players just want to win and know they have each others backs.  Nobody needs to be best friends

The way he was getting ripped by Compton, while Kelley laughed makes me think he never had any respect to begin with. Think he toughened up and became an adult because he went to a college football game? Doubt it.

He could change his mind and get his head in the game. It's possible. I don't think it's going to happen, but he could.

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The way he was getting ripped by Compton, while Kelley laughed makes me think he never had any respect to begin with. Think he toughened up and became an adult because he went to a college football game? Doubt it.

He could change his mind and get his head in the game. It's possible. I don't think it's going to happen, but he could.

Candid moment, but on ANY team, dudes get ripped/clowned on the daily.  I don't see it being as big of an issue for the folks inside the four walls of Redskins Park as some of our fan base is making it seem. 

I heard Cooley say this morning that we shouldn't assume that he's coming back to play based on these reports. He said he may just be coming back to the team to figure out how he's going to work out his retirement from a financial standpoint. Not sure if Gruden addressed it today, as I didn't hear his presser, but that was a bit of a bummer to hear. Guess we'll know more tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I heard Cooley say this morning that we shouldn't assume that he's coming back to play based on these reports. He said he may just be coming back to the team to figure out how he's going to work out his retirement from a financial standpoint. Not sure if Gruden addressed it today, as I didn't hear his presser, but that was a bit of a bummer to hear. Guess we'll know more tomorrow. 

From what I read, Gruden more or less said that he hasn't talked and that there hasn't been any communication going on between him and Cravens. I don't know if that means whether Manusky or the DB coaches have chatted with him, but I think it's a bad sign. More, I think it's just kind of unprofessional on Su'a's part. It probably would be a good boss thing if Gruden put a feeler out too, but really Su'a needs to be a pro about this even if he just want out.

You ought to be a pro in everything you do.

This is sad to see I was hoping he would contribute this year. We could use depth defensively with all them injuries piling up these days

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Rapaport really is a joke, how many times is this now that he puts something Redskins related out only to whiff entirely?

Seriously. He got my hopes up and then Bam. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Rapaport really is a joke, how many times is this now that he puts something Redskins related out only to whiff entirely?

Seriously. He got my hopes up and then Bam. 

Archived