Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

On 4/23/2018 at 12:10 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Paul Wilson got Matt Harvey-ed before there was Matt Harvey

Wilson never had any success.  Matt Harvey at least had some success, as fleeting as it was.

Generation K.  Paul Wilson, Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen,  What a joke that group turned out to be. Only Isringhausen had any success and that was as a closer.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wilson never had any success.  Matt Harvey at least had some success, as fleeting as it was.

Generation K.  Paul Wilson, Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen,  What a joke that group turned out to be. Only Isringhausen had any success and that was as a closer.

The backstory behind these three is that the Mets player development at the time (and not really sure how much has changed) pitched these three into the ground in the Minors and Majors. Pulsiphers 1st two starts were 131 and 123 pitches.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The backstory behind these three is that the Mets player development at the time (and not really sure how much has changed) pitched these three into the ground in the Minors and Majors. Pulsiphers 1st two starts were 131 and 123 pitches.

Back in the mid 90s, 120-130 pitches wasn't uncommon.  Mussina was usually over 110, hit 130 multiple times.  In 1995 Mussina had a game with 140.  That was the last game in a string of starts where he threw 124, 130, 138 and 134 pitches.  Randy Johnson had 3 games in 1994 over 140.  A manager would get fired for that today.  

While Generation K couldn't stay healthy, they also pretty much sucked when they were on the mound.  

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Gmen are better than (I) expected. Especially since they've lost 3-4 SPs to begin the season. Dbacks have a commanding lead but at least the Doyers blow. ?

Yeah, they are off to a slow start like my Nats. They also have a run differential in the green with a record under .500. 

Diamondbacks are killin' it in your division, though.

5 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Bumping this up to touch base with the non-Nats fans on the board.

How's your team doing so far? 

My aptly named “baby” Braves are 19-11 with a 1.5 game lead in the east after sweeping the Mets. Three major contributors are aged 21 and younger all being the youngest players in the league. The Braves also lead the league in run differential so far this season. The real question is gonna be whether the youth catches up to them later on in the season or if they can keep it up. 

7 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

HOLY ****, the Mets DFA'd Matt Harvey.  They have 7 days to trade or release him outright after he refused a minor league assignment.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23405985/reliever-matt-harvey-designated-assignment-new-york-mets

Honestly, **** that guy. He did it to himself, mostly, by being a complete douche. The Mets metsed him all up, but he did himself no favors

On 5/4/2018 at 11:58 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Honestly, **** that guy. He did it to himself, mostly, by being a complete douche. The Mets metsed him all up, but he did himself no favors

He was an NY God for a bit. Remember when he screamed his way back into a playoff game and then blew it? 

On 5/3/2018 at 5:57 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yankees have rebounded from a slow start to basically hold #28 in their grasp. 

Get off the tracks, there is a train coming ...

Image result for all rise aaron judge

Going to Yankees - Nats game ain't working out with taking my dad because of his schedule, so I'm thinkin of freaking him out and getting tickets to one of the Yankee Stadium games instead.  If he still can't, I'm just going to go by myself to get out of town.

10 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

He was an NY God for a bit. Remember when he screamed his way back into a playoff game and then blew it? 

The was the World Series, Game 5. 2-0 lead, lose the World Series in Extras 

• 2 weeks later...

Baseball is probably the one game where umpires are completely irrelevant. Or they could be anyway. I'd remove them entirely and use electronic strikezones. All other calls in the field or plays at the plate can be reviewed by a centralized crew somewhere in 30 seconds max and keep the game moving. I guess you would need two line judges to keep the play moving on fall/fair ball calls. That's about it. 

Added bonus is we wouldn't have to see managers come out and act like 3yr olds that didn't get a new toy throwing a fit. 

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Baseball is probably the one game where umpires are completely irrelevant. Or they could be anyway. I'd remove them entirely and use electronic strikezones. All other calls in the field or plays at the plate can be reviewed by a centralized crew somewhere in 30 seconds max and keep the game moving. I guess you would need two line judges to keep the play moving on fall/fair ball calls. That's about it. 

Added bonus is we wouldn't have to see managers come out and act like 3yr olds that didn't get a new toy throwing a fit. 

How many times have we seen Rob Goo-Manfred's precious, precious Pace of Play get held up my Umpire stupidity? Umpires on the bags calling safe/out, fair/foul, even then safe/out is obvious 99% of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived