Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Boston Globe, Aaron Hernandez commits suicide

Popeman38

Aaron Hernandez committed suicide in prison Wednesday morning, the Department of Correction said.

According to a statement from the Department of Correction, the former New England Patriot star was discovered hanging in his cell at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., at approximately 3:05 a.m.

twitter comments to adam schefter's feed haven't gone over the top yet, from what i got a read on, but some of them are humorous. 

Just sayin'. 

I'm sorry that someone with everything felt like he had nothing, except to scare and kill others.  But as someone on twitter said, "his best murder yet".  (I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who has endured a loved one who couldn't keep going.)

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Hopefully off topic but suicide, in general (talking about non-murderers), is not an act of cowardice. It's an act of desperation.

And awfully self-centered.  Especially on the evening before his team is being welcomed at the WH by Cheetoman.

Seriously.  He made the day's sports news all about him.  I say we give him some "rest" and let it go.  Commenting further just gives him what he wanted.

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

And awfully self-centered.  Especially on the evening before his team is being welcomed at the WH by Cheetoman.

Seriously.  He made the day's sports news all about him.  I say we give him some "rest" and let it go.  Commenting further just gives him what he wanted.

Self-centered is also a misconception about suicide.

And again, I'm talking in general. Just happens to be in the Aaron Hernandez thread.

Hard to find even an ounce of sympathy for this. Guy embraced the thug life early on, and even when it became apparent that his athletic talents would get him everything he ever wanted, he continued to embrace that life. It got him exactly where it should have.

5 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Big picture question here.

Do the Patriots have some responsibility here for bringing a killer into the community in the first place? 

Of course.  But to take that argument would be to also apply it to Urban Meyer and UF .  I don't believe there could be any tangible legal liability.

Regrets?  I'll bet that everyone who ever knew him has those. 

14 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Do the Patriots have some responsibility here for bringing a killer into the community in the first place? 

I'm going to say no, unless they knew he was a murderer upfront.  They may have known he was sketchy, but a psycho killer?  I can't put that on the Pats.

17 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

The only person responsible for Aarons actions is Aaron.   People with similar backgrounds do grow out of it and make something of the chances they get.  

44 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Hard to find even an ounce of sympathy for this. Guy embraced the thug life early on, and even when it became apparent that his athletic talents would get him everything he ever wanted, he continued to embrace that life. It got him exactly where it should have.

I find that sad that you can't find an "ounce of sympathy". It's tragic. People tend to be like, oh he had everything—it's the very reason to have an ounce of sympathy. No, we didn't lose a Martin Luther King, Jr.-type figure but a bit of humanity is in order. 

Everyone likes to pretend that they can outrun their history, environment, or upbringing but the vast majority of evidence says no we can't. We point to exceptions that do and hold them up as the norm. But they are that—exceptions. Not the norm. Pretty much, every player in the NFL is an exception just for the simple fact of being in the 1% of the football players that make it there. Many of them have had to control their past to get there and stay there— but many couldn't either. Maurice Claret, Rae Carruth, Dexter Manley. The average NFL career is 4 years long, many can just keep it together long enough to get out of the league on a football related issue. But it's also not surprising that a vast majority are broke 2 years after they leave the league. So really, most of these guys "have everything" but just for a very short bit. The ones that can parlay that into a lifetime of stability and security are, again, the exception. 

14 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Sorry El, I agree, that guy was an idiot and POS. Good riddance. 

I agree that he's all of the above.  "Tragic" isn't just reserved for cute and cuddly. 

I have a friend who works the suicide hotline. My wife routinely has to institutionalize people who are suicide risks. Regardless of what drives them to that point, to me, it's tragic. 

Archived