Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Damn I was going to make the Macklemore joke but somebody already beat me to it.

That would be a long read for a joke. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

Please give me your top-10 list...Would love to see who you have on there. 

You want artists or lyricists ? 

Ranking MCs is different than ranking artists.  Kanye isn't a great MC but he's one of the greatest artists in the history of the genre.  The artist is a more holistic notion.  I feel like we're getting some hang ups by not doing enough to distinguish between the two in our rankings.

5 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Top 10...

Okay, no order. 

Pac

Nas

Big 

Em

KRS

KM Dee

Rakim

Kanye

Luda

Fab

That is lyrically to me. 

Luda, who?  Must be a typo...no way you meant Ludacris. 

And KANYE?  NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. 

Amazing beatmaker, sub-par rapper. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

In all seriousness, Kendrick Lamar and Jay Z are absolutely on the Mount Rushmore.  I'm not sure who Kendrick knocks off to get there, but he's done it.  Who else put out four masterpiece albums in a span of like 5 years?

Maybe Jay-Z with his first four albums, but Kendrick might be in uncharted waters right now....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Luda, who?  Must be a typo...no way you meant Ludacris. 

Hey man, Word of Mouf was an excellent album.  He's definitely up there in terms of lyricist. Had to defend my boy.

I can see the argument for Jay-Z.  Death of the Autotune was as late as Blueprint 3, so he's kinda been doing the damn thing for a while now.

Also, where is the Lil Wayne love?  His mixtape game alone should have in the mount rushmore convo.

• Like 2

Kendrick sold 610k copies of DAMN. in one week. Biggest album of the year so far and it will likely stay that way unless one of the major pop stars (Taylor, Beyonce) release something later in the year. Huge W for Kendrick and for rap fans that want to hear something ambitious and fresh.

4 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Where do y'all rank J Cole? 

I don't know if i do rank him. He's definitely skilled, not taking that from him, but he bores the hell out of me.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How about another classic?  Can you believe this came out in 1999?  Where has the time gone?

NSFW

Blackstar & Black On Both Sides Mos Def could have been the GOAT

not sure what happened to that fella, I miss him

• Like 1

My biggest issue with Ludacris is that all of his albums follow pretty much the same format, decreases the replay value IMO.  I put him in the same category as Jadakiss: really talented rappers who's solo works never quite matched the talent they displayed on features

On 4/21/2017 at 0:01 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Who else put out four masterpiece albums in a span of like 5 years?

College Dropout - 2004

Late Registration - 2005

Graduation - 2007

808s - 2008

My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy - 2010

I think I have those years right. I don't care that he's not a great "rapper". He had a huge impact on the genre and is fantastic lyrically on those with amazingly high production 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

College Dropout - 2004

Late Registration - 2005

Graduation - 2007

808s - 2008

My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy - 2010

I think I have those years right. I don't care that he's not a great "rapper". He had a huge impact on the genre and is fantastic lyrically on those with amazingly high production 

808's was an awful album.  There isn't really a track on that album that I go back and listen to.

I think MBTDF, Yeezus and to a lesser extent Life of Pablo were good albums.  Yeezus is underrated as far as I'm concerned.  That said, Kanye West is not a good rapper.  He's a talented musician and artist, but his lyrics are nothing special.  Rapping about chicks bleaching their assholes?  GTFO.  Also, I hated the chipmunk rap production, so I wasn't a huge fan of College Dropout or Late Registration.