Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Former Redskin OT Joe Jacoby Misses Out On Hall of Fame Again

SkinsGuy

6 minutes ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

NFL HOF is officially R&R HOF level of cornball status. What a joke. 

Jason Taylor getting in first ballot is the one that disgusts me.

That is for guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Jerry Rice. Truly great players/coaches that really left a powerful legacy in the NFL are first-ballot HoFers.

That would include Redskin greats like John Riggins, Darrell Green, and Joe Gibbs.

They are putting the likes of Jason Taylor up there with all those people? Bull****. :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate for everyone --- today's results mean Jacoby has virtually ZERO chance to make the HOF next season which is his 20th and last year of eligibility of being elected through the regular voting process.

The thought was after last year that Jacoby was gaining ground and would likely get in this year but with Mawae and Boselli BOTH passing him this year that renders Jacoby's chances down to almost nothing as his support among the voters took a major step back this year.

After next year he would be passed on to the Senior Committee which would be his last route of hoping to eventually make it to the HOF...

All of you are missing what's really important.

That Dan Snyder will be able to add "Jason Taylor" to this paragraph on his bio page on the Skins website:

During Snyder’s 17 seasons as owner of the team, 24 different Redskins have earned a total of 43 Pro Bowl appearances, nine different Redskins have been named All-Pro, and 13 Redskins draft picks have been selected to the All-Rookie Team. In addition, three players from his tenure as owner, Darrell Green, Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders, have gone on to induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

http://www.redskins.com/team/staff/daniel-snyder/fd1d5d4f-cae1-43b7-ac59-dac8c1e6db89

I guess I just don't get football anymore...it's like I'm just an ol' man...well, not "like"..I AM just an ol' man...watching my world fade away..feels as if I fell off of my ship and am left to confront this hopeless sight of watching my vessel vanish over some self-induced horizon...

John Keim wrote a great blog about why Big Joe belongs in the HOF,(I don't feel like being reasonable and even tempered right now so the HOF voters against Joe can shove it . :) ). 

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/30032/its-time-to-put-redskins-great-joe-jacoby-in-the-hall-of-fame

It's time to put Redskins great Joe Jacoby in the Hall of Fame

Let's get right to it: Joe Jacoby belongs in the Hall of Fame. The former Washington Redskins offensive tackle is a finalist for a second straight year. He apparently made a late run to get near induction last year.

Now, it needs to happen. Here's why he belongs:

He was better than Russ Grimm. OK, that's the opinion of one teammate, former center Jeff Bostic, who played with both -- and who loves both. Grimm was (rightfully) inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010. Jacoby played more years (13 to 11), made more starts (148 to 114) and played a tougher position. Grimm earned more All-Pro honors (four to two). Again: Grimm belongs in the Hall. But if he's in there, why isn't Jacoby?

"This is no slight on Russ, but Joe was a better player," Bostic said. "I don't think the NFL had seen a guy like Jacoby when he came on the scene. This guy was 6-8, 330, 340 pounds. He ran a 5.1 in the 40. For a guy his size, I've never seen anyone run like he could. He was strong as an ox. The beauty of what I'm seeing this year, I'm hearing the Randy Whites, Chris Dolemans ... I'm hearing people he played against saying he needs to be in the Hall of Fame."

*Click Link For More*

I'll admit I don't get the fascination with Terrell Davis. Only 4 years over 1000 yards, and that includes his rookie year where he barely cleared it. Played on stacked teams, making it far easier to get yards. And, as already mentioned in this thread, did so in a system that made guys like Mike Anderson look like All Pros. Two former Skins, Clinton Portis and Alfred Morris, both got a couple years in that Shanahan system and put up similar numbers. Imagine if either got 1-2 more years with Shanahan as coach or played with John Elway as their QBs. They'd be HoFers now too it seems.

Or is it making it to 2000 yards? Otherwise I suspect Jamal Lewis and Chris Johnson should be enshrined any day now. Hell, Larry Johnson had that one year where he rushed for 1750 yards in only 9 starts. HE should be getting his HOF invite any day now too I suppose.

This is Bull %$#@. This HOF  vetting / vote process is obviously a popularity contest, Obviously the powers to be from the HOF and the media are not to keen on the Skins. We as Skins fans all know how Peter King led the charge to deny Art Monk and Darrel Green into the HOF . I feel this angst against the Redskins is obviously still prevalent today and the PC crowd has a narrow view of the moniker REDSKINS. Bob Costas diatribe on the Redskins enters my latest memories .

were he professed his dislike and disgust of the word Redskin on national TV  before a nationally broadcasted NFL game.

Obviously,  I feel there is a quiet agenda against the Redskins  from the media.

To  Joe Jacoby , I know you will always  hold a special place in the minds and  hearts of the Redskin nation, you helped to deliver 3

Super Bowl victories , Hail:247:

I gave up on hoping years ago, since seeing the extremely biased views of some of the voters in the HOF committee.  A few of them simply hate the Redskins organization in general, not a particular player or coach. The only exclusion in this was Gibbs, and it would have been a huge headliner and black eye on the entire process if Gibbs didn't get in on a timely manner.

Players like Jacoby, Mann, Butz, Clark, even Bobby Beathard, snubbed year after year. Why?  Selective favoritism, followed by attention whore players who try to be in the media spotlight as much as possible, rivaling some 13 yr old girls and Facebook status. 'Look at me' players need attention and will do whatever it takes to achieve it. In some cases, a player that gets in has less catches, sacks, or TDs than others, but due to their antics or off-field activities, they get the nod while others with much better stats have to wait, and often times end up relying on the senior committee to get in.

Its a joke, a mockery of how the voting should be done. There are claims that a player may have been good, but was invisible in the Superbowl, which in Monk's case was a valid point, but considering the team would not have gotten in without him is looked at as meaningless. If a player only has to do great in the Superbowl, then Ricky Sanders should be a first ballot member, maybe Timmy Smith, or Charlie Brown, or a number of other players who made huge impacts on the outcomes of SBs.

Frustrating, yes, it is very; voters putting in Jason Taylor, even though he has some impressive stats, never sniffed a SB. so the irony is glaringly counter-intuitive according to voter guidelines.  All I do is sit back and shake my head, year after year, and marvel at the ridiculousness of how the voting process is carried out, and wonder if it will ever change. Its no longer about the player, its about popularity.  If I were any of these Redskins players listed, I'd go to the HOF ceremony and wait for Jason to get to the podium, then flash the World Champions ring at him and smile.

This might be the worst HOF class in history.

Terrell Davis and Kurt Warner were great players but neither had enough longevity to be HOF-ers. We're talking about Hall of FAME. The all time greats. You need to have a minimum of a decade of greatness to get in IMO.

And Morten Anderson? Really? A Kicker not named Adam Vinateri? That's a joke. Isn't Morty's claim to fame MISSING a kick that would have got the Vikings into the Super Bowl or was that someone else?

Can't really argue Ladanian Tomlinson. He deserves it. I think Jason Taylor is a HOF-er too but I don't get him getting in first ballot. I would have put Terrell Owens in over Jason Taylor.

they need to change the name.  It's not the Hall of Fame, it's the Hall of Famous only for guys who get tons of press

34 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I'll admit I don't get the fascination with Terrell Davis. Only 4 years over 1000 yards, and that includes his rookie year where he barely cleared it.

Terrell Davis for the Hall of Fame?  They didn't put Billy Sims in, no excuse for Davis

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

And Morten Anderson? Really? A Kicker not named Adam Vinateri? That's a joke. Isn't Morty's claim to fame MISSING a kick that would have got the Vikings into the Super Bowl or was that someone else?

That was Gary Anderson.  Morten was on two all decade teams and was all-pro six times.  He had the resume to get in.

Sucks Joe didn't get in.  Weird class overall.  LT sure, the rest is meh.  Thought Joe and TO should have gone in.  I would have put Faneca, Law or Dawkins in over TD and Taylor also.

Joe Jacoby not getting in is a damn joke.  I thought he was better than Grimm, but thats just me.  Dude battled LT in their prime.  HOF voters are dumb.

As far as the class goes

LT - no brainer..Dude is one the top all around backs in NFL history.  On skill alone, he's up there with Walter and Emmitt...He just didnt have the rings to show for it

TD - He deserves it and has waited long enough.  Yea he played in a system that favored running backs and yes he had stacked teams and Elway, but dude had a 4 year run that you could stack up against any running back in history and if he hadn't gotten injured, we're talking about an all time great career.

Morten Anderson - I think the Hall put him in for a couple reasons. 1. He has the stats no doubt. 2. They put him in Because if not, no way he was go in ahead of Adam Vinneterri.

Ken Easly - Dont know much about him, but 32 int in 7 years is pretty damn good.  There are GREAT players that have played way longer that dont have that many Int's.

Jason Taylor - Hall of Famer?  Yea, he was a 1 time NFL DPOY and 2 time AFC DPOY, but 1st ballot?  Thats stretching it.  I never once thought of him as first ballot and I never got the sense that he was feared like a JJ Watt.  He was fast from the DE position and a good pass rusher.  I mean, you're basically saying that this guy was on Reggie White and Bruce Smiths level...Hell to the no!!

Kurt Warner - Yup...When he was bad, he was bad, but when he was good, he was Hall of Fame level good...Dude made two irrelevant franchises relevant.  His playoff passer rating was like 9 points higher than his Regular seasons rating. I think if he didn't have like 5 years of mediocre football in between 6 years of all time great, he would have been first ballot.

Jerry Jones - Sigh :/

I feel really sorry for Jacoby and his family. Probably thought he was going to make it this year for sure and just had the rug swept under them by a bunch of idiots operating within a shroud of mystery with zero transparency to hold anyone accountable. 

It's too bad they're destroying the relevancy of the Hall of Fame itself in the process. When you have some of the names going in over other guys who clearly were the better football players, it no longer carries the weight it's supposed to. 

Archived