Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

•  
    •  

Ralph Vacchiano Retweeted Adam Schefter

Well, now that's a significant free-agent signing right there ...

Ralph Vacchiano added,

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
      Former Cowboys' CB Morris Claiborne is expected to sign with the Jets, per league source. CB market now moving.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Joe Barry had that too.

Different personality than Barry.  I find Barry's personality boring.  Manusky to me has some Riggins to him, he's a character.  If the point is its about X's and O's not the other stuff, I mostly agree with that.  Manusky wasn't my top choice.  But I don't think he's a wild leap either.  I'll let it play out and see.

If we sign Butler it's to add/change FS depth, & ST bodies.  Might cut Blackmon, or Hall...but Hall now seems like he's coming back.

I would love to add either a starting CB, or slot CB/competition for starting job via the draft.

My favorite is Adoree Jackson...but our positioning has us just out of range as i think he may be a reach at 17, & i don't believe ge has a shot at falling back to 49...no way.  Now...if we move back in the first???

I think the 2 positions on the D i could see us all but ignoring would be ILB, & CB though.  On Offense i think it will be LT/RT/RG...OC/LG still on the table.

All things considered...would be nice to add Adoree, & let him battle with Bree/Dunbar/Fuller for the starting spot, & everyone else can rotate in, & move to slot CB if unnecessary.  Well...everyone but Dunbar perhaps.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
    •  
    •  

Ralph Vacchiano Retweeted Adam Schefter

Well, now that's a significant free-agent signing right there ...

Ralph Vacchiano added,

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
      Former Cowboys' CB Morris Claiborne is expected to sign with the Jets, per league source. CB market now moving.

Yeah Cowboys got worse lol

Butler would be a great pick up. Breeland needs to wake up. Carter, another cheap warm body so that's fine. Still short of one good one coming in.

2 minutes ago, nemocystem said:

Wuick question....would anyone consider (including Jets) trading the Jets our #4 this year (we keep theirs) for Ruchardson straight up?

I' trade for him for a 4th but it's a one year 8mil rental which we don't appear to want on the books at DL.

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He'll end up back in NY as a Giant probably on a 1 year deal.

I feel like that's least likely.  Cause them not agreeing to his asking price would be the biggest insult.  After all, they're the team that should know what he's worth

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we sign Butler I wonder how he would do as a slot CB.  We need someone at that positon as we suffered there last yar.

apparently he played nickel corner for the Colts last year.

March 6th, 2017 at 1:59pm CST by Zach Links

Darius Butler is versatile to play anywhere in the secondary, but if he has his druthers, he would rather play safety, as Stephen Holder of the Indy Star writes. Butler, however, is stopping short of any kind of demand.

I’m just a football player,” Butler said. “But to be 100 percent honest with you, I would like to transition to safety at this point in my career.”

We have Butler ranked as the fourth-best safety in this year’s free agent class (based on talent), ahead of guys like Jonathan Cyprien, Micah Hyde, D.J. Swearinger, Jahleel Addae, and T.J. McDonald. Butler’s ability to play cornerback is a big part of his appeal, but his clear preference would be to have a regular safety gig and only fill in at cornerback when needed.

The Colts still have safety as a clear need on defense, so it’s conceivable that he could return to Indianapolis and play at his preferred spot. Playing at both safety and corner due to injuries last year, Butler graded out as the 20th best safety in the NFL last year, according to Pro Football Focus. His 82.6 overall score was the highest of his career.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/03/darius-butler-play-safety

NFL Draft Diamonds follows

Colts Chatter Retweeted Washington Redskins

Hopefully this is the only former Colt they sign today (i.e. not @DariusJButler)

Washington RedskinsVerified account @Redskins
#Redskins sign linebacker Chris Carter. Welcome to D.C., @ccarter43! ?
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadise Butler is FS material at this stage I think. Although Manusky says DJS is taking that role. Interesting. I'd take him on a 3year deal.

Yeah wondering what's cooking if they sign him with all the safeties:  D. Hall, Swearinger, Cravens and then Butler?  I would like the signing.  He's a good player. But I don't get why the overload on safety versus D line.  Also the draft is arguably more stacked at safety then defensive tackle.  It's arguably one of the best draft for safeties in years.  Hopefully more D line is to come still in FA.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Damn. Got all worked up hoping for a big signing with the RJF cut. Knew better but did it anyways. This signing is like settling for a dry handjibber. Basically worst-case scenario but...I mean, if that's all that's on the menu, carry on. 

The word on cutting RJF was they wanted the cap space for 'draft plans' to get younger on the line with some of the younger guys on the roster. Lanier I guess.

The draft plans caught my attention. Unless we are going to sign someone like Hankins at his reported price we already have plenty of cap space for our $7M rookie pool based on the current picks we have. But what if they wanted the flexibility if we somehow acquired a second very high 1st round pick. You know, just as an example ...

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully more D line is to come still in FA.

Apart from Hankins who is out there in free agency who could really make a difference as opposed to be a rotational guy?

Just now, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Then the player they would have to trade to get that pick...his $24 million cap hit would be off the books too.

I mentioned no names :-)

But your right. I did not get the 'draft plans' angle that a couple of the beat writers mentioned.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

If your not trying to win today then your tanking.

Aaaaaaaaand that's the disagreement. Just because they haven't signed every star on the market doesn't mean they're tanking. Tanking is actively going out of your way to lose games, 2011 Colts style. It takes effort to tank. The Browns aren't going out of their way to lose.

Knowing that it's going to be a war of semantics, that's the last I'll say on the matter.

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Apart from Hankins who is out there in free agency who could really make a difference as opposed to be a rotational guy?

Hankins in my view is the last big dog left.  And I've been on him as my top choice (as many others here have been as well) well before FA started.  He's a big body and typically a good run stuffer with some pass rush to him. And he's young.  His pass rush dropped off recently -- 3 sacks last year, he had had 7 sacks a couple of years before. He was banged up some last season.  Just because his agent overpriced Hankins doesn't mean IMO that the Redskins need to be out of the bidding -- the price is going to come down and when it does, I hope they pounce.  

I agree with Cooley's take on this the D line needs one really good player and they don't have that now.  Cooley ironically highlighted Hankins as that guy.  If you have Hankins then IMO they can get away with multiple Ziggy Hood level players or maybe slightly above. Then they can add someone like Jared Odrick, Sen-Derricks Marks, etc.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with Cooley's take on this the D line needs one really good player and they don't have that now.  Cooley ironically highlighted Hankins as that guy.  If you have Hankins then IMO they can get away with multiple Ziggy Hood level players or maybe slightly above.  Jared Odrick, Sen-Derricks Marks, etc.

I agree about Hankins - but not at $10M per. There has been zero connection between the Redskins and Hankins though. I'm hoping for someone in the first two rounds of the draft but it needs the board to fall that way. I would not advocate reaching based on need.

41 minutes ago, nemocystem said:

My favorite is Adoree Jackson...but our positioning has us just out of range as i think he may be a reach at 17, & i don't believe ge has a shot at falling back to 49...no way.  Now...if we move back in the first???

I think Adoree lasts until 49 no problem.  I would be more confident had the Washington CB (whose name escapes me right now) hadn't gotten injured.  I'm with you though.  Would love to see us pick him up. 

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I agree about Hankins - but not at $10M per. There has been zero connection between the Redskins and Hankins though. I'm hoping for someone in the first two rounds of the draft but it needs the board to fall that way. I would not advocate reaching based on need.

I agree not at $10 million.  But heck reading stories about Pryor he thought he'd be offered a lot more in FA than what the Redskins ultimately gave him.  The Redskins got themselves in the game and it worked out.  IMO they should do the same with Hankins.  It doesn't hurt to put an offer on the table.

Archived