Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

7 hours ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Maybe/probably it's revisionist history on Allen's part, but that's clearly a major part of the post-firing narrative from a football standpoint.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/08/redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-has-no-role-in-current-free-agency-decision-making/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.6c43d4ef2c2a

The most recent article about Allen/McCloughan doesn't mention Doctson being drafted whatsoever. Does go into more detail about Cousins, Cravens and Breeland, though.

But don't worry...another article written in a few weeks will list several other things of importance that neither of these articles bring up lol...

Cousins had 4 come from behind wins last year. He beat his own franchise record for passing yards. They lost more then 1 game from the defense. Now, taking a look at elite QBs, they didn't get there in 2 years as the starter, rather 3-4 years and then they remained at the top of their game for many years. There's absolutely noway to say Cousins is a mediocre QB.  There's more support and logic that spells an elite QB in the making. He's well worth the Skins to pay him the current market. 

If you thnk you get anything but a good good draft pick after you insert Colt or the like, you're delusional. The Skins already developed a playoff team. This should be the next step Year. Not rebuilding time again.  Shore up the defensive holes and sign your QB to a LTD. 

Manusky just now on radio.  He sees McGee and McClain as the starters at DE neither is slotted for nose.   Suggested they might be done in FA by saying he's satisfied with what they've done in FA and is looking at the draft now.  But he wasn't hardcore on the point so I got some hope that they still might be looking.  For nose they might rely on AJ Francis or Phil Taylor though he admitted he knew very little about Phil Taylor.  He suggested they might address nose in the draft though.  

Seemed to take a small shot at Breeland said he just needs to listen and play, then said it again listen and play.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Manusky just now on radio.  He sees McGee and McClain as the starters at DE neither is slotted for nose.   Suggested they might be done in FA by saying he's satisfied with what they've done in FA and is looking at the draft now.  But he wasn't hardcore on the point so I got some hope that they still might be looking.  For nose they might rely on AJ Francis or Phil Taylor though he admitted he knew very little about Phil Taylor.  He suggested they might address nose in the draft though.  

Seemed to take a small shot at Breeland said he just needs to listen and play, then said it again listen and play.

It was a very good interview. 

The Breeland answer was "He has to Listen, and he has to Play."  Essentially, don't do anything else, just listen and play.  I'm not sure if it was so much a shot, as it was "dude has the talent, but he's being distracted by other stuff.  Just go out there and do your job.

He also sortof punted the conversation about RJF.  Said he's been with him a while, that they were just moving on, and that he was sure he would be with somebody else next year.  Given the long term relationship between the two, Manusky was there when they drafted him in SF, I think it might be fair to connect the dots that RJF was not what they wanted, and there was no real reason to keep him around.

He said that they want to build this thing through the draft. (Duh, everybody says that. But if you get 2 starters on defense in a draft class, which would be pretty good, it takes 5 drafts to get 10 starters.  You've got to fill in holes elsewhere, or you'll never get there.)

I didn't get from anything he said that they were done in FA.  Clearly, they're going to bring in other players through FA on defense. Because they're going to need more guys. 

He said nice things about Ionitis when prompted.

He also said he was big on pressure.  Again, everybody says that.  But he said that what was most important to him was 2 minute situations and 3rd downs, figuring out how to beat protections, etc.  That's good to hear. Even if it's obvious.

I've always liked Munusky's personality.  He wasn't my first choice for DC, but he's got to be miles better than the 2 village idiots who have preceded him.  (I almost wanted to say 3, because we haven't had a real solid DC since 2007, when Gregg Williams left.  But I respect Blache.  Even if his defenses were bland and reactive.  He also said they stunk like the south end of a north bound skunk, and I love that quote.)

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Starting to think with the earlier comments of corner and now this little nugget we might just might be going corner in the draft with the first pick. 

Breeland is becoming a punk -really not the first time i have thought this especially in the last 12 months - He got blindsided by the Skins going after  Norman last season and his play deteriorated from that point on - and now he is a wannabe rap star - good luck with that. 

I am also concerned about Su'a - hearing he would not play through what essentially was a bad bruise at the end of the season is disappointing - couple this with the nonsense he came out with last year following the concussion it kind of makes me think he is not really a football guy.or not 

And then you have RJF and Baker mouthing off about the team (while they were still technically Redskins players) and even more so now they have moved on i just keep circling back to the fact there are SO many issues in the defence in terms of attitude maybe a little cleaning house was overdue. I still think we need at least one front line impact guy but we need some better attitudes -

I loved Baker when he was here but always came across a little like a 'class clown/do what i want'  kind of guy and that reflected on the field - Which is a real shame because he worked his way up from no hope undrafted free agent  to a decent starter   

Like that he said they are the starting DE. I will reiterate my earlier point more so now about DL. Wonder how bad the issue is with Poe and his back? And my God, Hankins after stupid money needs resolving, 24 years old on a multi year deal to drop in at DT. Get him paid.

Tired of Breeland's whining and I'm glad Manusky called him out on it. Here's hoping that Fuller or someone else thrives at the CB2 spot so we can get rid of another malcontent. Maybe, just maybe we can get a #6 or #7 pick in the 2018 draft for Breeland. 

29 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

Breeland is becoming a punk -really not the first time i have thought this especially in the last 12 months - He got blindsided by the Skins going after  Norman last season and his play deteriorated from that point on - and now he is a wannabe rap star - good luck with that. 

I am also concerned about Su'a - hearing he would not play through what essentially was a bad bruise at the end of the season is disappointing - couple this with the nonsense he came out with last year following the concussion it kind of makes me think he is not really a football guy.or not 

And then you have RJF and Baker mouthing off about the team (while they were still technically Redskins players) and even more so now they have moved on i just keep circling back to the fact there are SO many issues in the defence in terms of attitude maybe a little cleaning house was overdue. I still think we need at least one front line impact guy but we need some better attitudes -

I loved Baker when he was here but always came across a little like a 'class clown/do what i want'  kind of guy and that reflected on the field - Which is a real shame because he worked his way up from no hope undrafted free agent  to a decent starter   

I believe reports were he partially tore his muscle. I wouldn't play with that either.

So like no one will care about this but I found myself in a precarious position this morning and here's something that some of you might consider in a few months.

Here I was drafting in a best ball league for the upcoming season (MFL10's league if your crazy about football like I am and like fantasy but don't like agonizing over setting weekly lineups google that). I am pick 11 in 12 team draft, fifth round. Start 3 WR per week full ppr and my roster so far consisted of - TY Hilton (1), Jordy Nelson (2), Terrell Pryor(4), and Mark Ingram (3). My picks up and who do I see on the board I'm tempted by? Rob Kelley and Jamison Crowder. Now I'm a homer to the hilt lifer fan but I'm in no way the type of player that lets his heart for the team influence his drafting style. Either guy would have been a good choice there.

Reason I bring this up is in fantasy this year I can see a lot of value with our players and under appreciation for how well they may do. Something to keep in mind

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well our best two DL from last year are gone and replaced with budget versions and if it's because they called out an awful coach, that should have been fired before our bye week, that's ****ing ridiculous. 

The two best defensive linemen on the worst defensive line in the league though. Why do people keep forgetting this? If Baker and RJF were actually what some fans seem to think they were our defensive line would not have been a complete joke all season. I really like Baker but the guy was not an all star, just an above average defensive end and RJF is not starting on almost every team in the league and was going to make $4 million.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It was a very good interview. 

The Breeland answer was "He has to Listen, and he has to Play."  Essentially, don't do anything else, just listen and play.  I'm not sure if it was so much a shot, as it was "dude has the talent, but he's being distracted by other stuff.  Just go out there and do your job.

I didn't get from anything he said that they were done in FA.  Clearly, they're going to bring in other players through FA on defense. Because they're going to need more guys. 

I am looking at Breeland through the lens of both Manusky's interviews.  In his previous longer interview he stressed the corner position including it being his first mention when he was asked about needs.  They've talked to a lot of secondary players at the combine.   And with stories circulating by Cooley, the WP and today by Breer relating to Breeland-- I gather the he needs to listen part has some shot directed at Breeland something to the effect of just listen to the coaches and play what you are asked to play.   Cooley commented on it afterwards talking about Breeland not liking the scheme last year and that causes problems. 

As for FA -- he said they got their two DEs, but they now need a nose. That was his most direct comment I found on player movement.  He mentioned Taylor or Francis for the NT position and or he's looking at the draft.  Cooley asked something to the effect of FA and he said something to the effect of being satisfied and is now looking at the draft.  Yeah like I said it doesn't close the window on signing FAs either but listening to him -- it didn't give the vibe that they have a lot more work to do in FA.   Hopefully, his stress on NT and I thought it was odd he admitted Phil Taylor could be that guy while admitting that he doesn't know much about him -- means that guy is coming in FA.  He said they might go get the NT in the draft but hopefully that's the back up plan.

Per Rotoworld

Free agent DT Johnathan Hankins has been holding firm that he wants a multi-year contract.

Hankins, 25 later this month, has surprisingly drawn zero interest in the 7-10 days free agency has been open. Easily one of the best players left on the market, Hankins wants to be a starter and seeks $8 million-plus per year. According to Dolphins ace beat writer Armando Salguero, Miami checked in on Hankins, but he isn't willing to accept a one-year offer. Hankins went into this reportedly wanting a five-year deal at $45 million or more. That's highly unlikely to happen at this stage of free agency. Whoever eventually lands Hankins could be getting a bargain.

SIP, going in to the season hoping is not a good thing for the most important position in a 3/4 defense which is a NT... and Phil Taylor may not even be on the opening day roster. He's had some serious injuries, same with McClain.... This defense is going to be horrid if we make no other moves, big moves, for guys who can actually stay healthy and play ball

43 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Starting to think with the earlier comments of corner and now this little nugget we might just might be going corner in the draft with the first pick. 

Yeah I've been on this train for a bit.  Arguably corner makes more sense at #17 then D line if mocks have any values.  The big time D lineman look to go top 10. I don't see an obvious D lineman at #17.  But there are corners aplenty.  In Manusky's previous interview he talked up how good corners are critical to his scheme flexibility, corner was the first position he said when asked by Doc Walker about needs.

In the combine they interviewed mostly D line, safety, corner and receiver from what i recall.

I knew these boards were all doom and gloom based on the Game day threads and common posters on here but its funny just how different the mood is on this board. On reddit and other boards people seem up beat about free agency and realize their is still time to sign more defensive players in FA to go with the Redskins 11 draft picks that can help the defense. People on this board think the world is over before they even know who is on the team. 

10 minutes ago, bankonhank said:

The two best defensive linemen on the worst defensive line in the league though. Why do people keep forgetting this? If Baker and RJF were actually what some fans seem to think they were our defensive line would not have been a complete joke all season. I really like Baker but the guy was not an all star, just an above average defensive end and RJF is not starting on almost every team in the league and was going to make $4 million.

Above average is bad now?  I think the rest of the DL in aggregate was inadequate, but that doesn't mean there was no one that was worth anything.  I think Baker needed help and was worth keeping.  He just wasn't good enough to cover for having Hood, Jenkins, and Golston next to him.  

7 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

Per Rotoworld

Free agent DT Johnathan Hankins has been holding firm that he wants a multi-year contract.

Hankins, 25 later this month, has surprisingly drawn zero interest in the 7-10 days free agency has been open. Easily one of the best players left on the market, Hankins wants to be a starter and seeks $8 million-plus per year. According to Dolphins ace beat writer Armando Salguero, Miami checked in on Hankins, but he isn't willing to accept a one-year offer. Hankins went into this reportedly wanting a five-year deal at $45 million or more. That's highly unlikely to happen at this stage of free agency. Whoever eventually lands Hankins could be getting a bargain.

He could get a multi-year deal in a second if his price just came down some.

Just now, justice98 said:

Above average is bad now?  I think the rest of the DL in aggregate was inadequate, but that doesn't mean there was no one that was worth anything.  I think Baker needed help and was worth keeping.  He just wasn't good enough to cover for having Hood, Jenkins, and Golston next to him.  

What do you mean? I never said above average was bad now. Just that Baker wasn't an all star and apparently does not fit Manusky's scheme.

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

SIP, going in to the season hoping is not a good thing for the most important position in a 3/4 defense which is a NT... and Phil Taylor may not even be on the opening day roster. He's had some serious injuries, same with McClain.... This defense is going to be horrid if we make no other moves, big moves, for guys who can actually stay healthy and play ball

You don't need to convince me.  I am with you.  I think if FA stops with this, its a stinker for the defense.  I don't see where the improvement is outside of safety.   It's counter intuitive to me that they are going to ride mostly with the same horses from the wretched defense from last year.

I like the draft as much as anyone but like its been said here and I agree with it -- you are lucky in a typical draft to find 2-3 starters.  Also obviously all our division rivals are drafting too.  The Giants for example used FA to build themselves a killer defense last year.  What's going to stop them to use this draft to load up on offense and be stacked everywhere?  It's not the Redskins building their team in a vacuum. Every team is going to use the draft.   The Eagles had a good defense but bad offense with much less cap space than us and still added two major weapons on offense.  We got to do the same IMO on defense to keep up with the Jones.  

1 hour ago, bankonhank said:

Correct. 100%. Everyone agrees. Not one person is forgetting how bad our line is and that's why we're all pissed off.

Baker was good, not great, but certainly our best. 

RJF wasn't good, but easily our second best. By a good margin too.

Hood was a possible DE and horrible NT, but our 3rd best DL.

We've dumped the first two, signed 2 guys who are somewhere between our former 1&2 and re- signed the 3rd.

Our line is 3 Ziggy Hoods now.

That sucks.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

He could get a multi-year deal in a second if his price just came down some.

That's a great price and exactly what we need.

2 minutes ago, bankonhank said:

I knew these boards were all doom and gloom based on the Game day threads and common posters on here but its funny just how different the mood is on this board. On reddit and other boards people seem up beat about free agency and realize their is still time to sign more defensive players in FA to go with the Redskins 11 draft picks that can help the defense. People on this board think the world is over before they even know who is on the team. 

I can't count the # of times on a thousand hands that I've entered into conversation with Redskins fans in passing, be it at the grocery store, gas station, tailgating at FedEx Field, work, etc., where the fans are complete homers that believe every move the franchise ever made is a great one and we should be going to the Super Bowl soon. 

What should alarm you is that there are many  respected and knowledgeable posters here that are die hard and have lived through it all feeling the same negative vibes about what has transpired, or should I say - came to light, over the past month or so.  From the whole deal with Scott, the way we handled it and what we've done so far in free agency.

I'm sure we'd all love to eat crow and have the JAG's we've picked up put the whoop stick on teams next season. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You don't need to convince me.  I am with you.  I think if FA stops with this, its a stinker for the defense.  I don't see where the improvement is outside of safety.   It's counter intuitive to me that they are going to ride mostly with the same horses from the wretched defense from last year.

I like the draft as much as anyone but like its been said here and I agree with it -- you are lucky in a typical draft to find 2-3 starters.  Also obviously all our division rivals are drafting too.  The Giants for example used FA to build themselves a killer defense last year.  What's going to stop them to use this draft to load up on offense and be stacked everywhere?  It's not the Redskins building their team in a vacuum. Every team is going to use the draft.   The Eagles had a good defense but bad offense with much less cap space than us and still added two major weapons on offense.  We got to do the same IMO on defense to keep up with the Jones.  

My expectation as of now for this season, if being realistic with myself, is hoping we are not at the basement of the NFCEast... We had come a long way which I hoped would continue but I feel like the Giants, Cowboys, and Iggles took a pretty good leap. I think the Giants will win the East this year. I'm giving us a 7 win season if it started today.

Archived