Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

Just now, Cooked Crack said:

#WhereIsMelanie?

Wouldn't surprise me if she packs up Barron and returns to NY City.  She'll say that Barron does better in his NY school. What with Trump admitting that he paid money in a hush contract, I think she's done. I hope she's squirreled away her own money, unless the pre-nup has a forsaking all others clause, then she's sitting pretty!

They've basically given up any kind of innocent of wrongdoing defense.  It's all technicalities. They're essentially going down the "ok, look, he MAY have done some shady things, but he can extricate himself so dont bother" strategy. 

The only reason to even bring up pardoning yourself is if there's a decent chance you did something. 

Legally, I get it, nothing else is working, so throw everything but the kitchen sink at this thing.  But you still look guilty as hell.

6 minutes ago, First Colony said:

So, two very simple (and maybe stupid) questions.

1) Does he have the ability to pardon himself?

2) If so, and he does, is that it?  What other recourse as citizens would we have?

1. "under the fundamental rule that no one may be a judge in his own case, the President cannot pardon himself." Aug. 5 1974 DOJ opion 4 days before Richard Nixon resigned. https://www.justice.gov/file/20856/download (pulled from twitter - I'm not quite sure how to quote from that)

2. If he tries it, I can't imagine it wouldn't go to the supreme court but he is floating the trial balloon. 

19 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

1. "under the fundamental rule that no one may be a judge in his own case, the President cannot pardon himself." Aug. 5 1974 DOJ opion 4 days before Richard Nixon resigned. https://www.justice.gov/file/20856/download (pulled from twitter - I'm not quite sure how to quote from that)

2. If he tries it, I can't imagine it wouldn't go to the supreme court but he is floating the trial balloon. 

Thanks

25 minutes ago, First Colony said:

So, two very simple (and maybe stupid) questions.

1) Does he have the ability to pardon himself?

2) If so, and he does, is that it?  What other recourse as citizens would we have?

No, as answered above.

For 2, he doesn't, and I suspect both Kennedy and Roberts would rule that way, but on the off chance, I don't believe that protects him from impeachment.  I suspect what would happen is that various groups would immediately file civil suits against various parties including the President, and with him having pardoned himself he'd be compelled to testify.  Eventually, he's lie to the court or tell the truth and his previously illegal acts would be exposed.  Congress would then hopefully impeach and convict.

But I really don't think the SCOTUS would allow it.  It would spell the end of the rule of law and fly in the face of precedent, and basically America would be like 90% over bc it would suggest that the President is actually above the law, and that is time bomb waiting to go off.

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

An anti-gay cake?

Some guy went to three different bakeries in Colorado requesting a Bible themed cake that denounces gay marriage. The requested decorations were anti-gay Bible verses and an X-ed out gay couple holding hands. He was refused service and the state ruled in favor of the bakers. The majority opinion cited this and said that Masterpiece (Phillips) can refuse service to gay couples just as those bakers did.

I quickly read through the court opinions and I think they got it right. I also think the public should know which businesses are bigoted and refuse to give them business. The internet can help with that.

Well, let the religious discrimination begin!!

Inter-racial couples!

Gay & Lesbian

Blacks

Sinners!

You’re all screwed!

Now because of this sham of a SCOTUS religious bigots are free to deny you service because your life does not conform to their fundamentalist religions!!

But, in good news, now religious bigots of other religions can discriminate against them too!

What a wonderful time to be alive!!

Seems like the Court was very narrow and didnt really address the issue at all.  Instead focused solely on the actions of the Colorado Commission regarding the baker.  I dont see how this ruling changed anything actually.

12 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Seems like the Court was very narrow and didnt really address the issue at all.  Instead focused solely on the actions of the Colorado Commission regarding the baker.  I dont see how this ruling changed anything actually.

Counting down to the next business owner who chooses to discriminate based on their religious liberty.....

Archived