Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Redskins Are A "Good Team". Time To Accept This Fact

Diehard Otis

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wtf is everyone blaming Barry on this one? Defense is the only reason we were remotely in this game 

One drive missing both your starting corners? That's hard for anyone.

We lack talent at both safety spots and ILB. 

His coaching nearly cost us the Ravens game in the fourth quarter and it ended up costing us the game today. Coaching well means doing so for the whole game and for some reason he goes into derp mode when the other team has the ball with barely any time left and the game on the line. 

Just now, Taylor703 said:

His coaching nearly cost us the Ravens game in the fourth quarter and it ended up costing us the game today. Coaching well means doing so for the whole game and for some reason he goes into derp mode when the other team has the ball with barely any time left and the game on the line. 

Without starting corners you want to leave guys on an island against very good passing team and blitz a QB known to be a good scrambler?

That's a solid plan.

Why does no one ever offer a plan or alternative? It's always just "he sucks" or " fire him now". Nothing constructive, just blame 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Without starting corners you want to leave guys on an island against very good passing team and blitz a QB known to be a good scrambler?

That's a solid plan.

Why does no one ever offer a plan or alternative? It's always just "he sucks" or " fire him now". Nothing constructive, just blame 

You can't just drop back 10 yards, rush three defenders and give them the middle of the field when they still have timeouts. It was an awful decision on his part. The only play where he rushed Cravens, Stafford got flustered and the play resulted in an incompletion. 

The loss is far more on Jones' shoulders than it is Barry but that doesn't change the fact that he **** the bed completely on that last drive. Shockingly he didn't learn his lesson after the near disaster against Baltimore. 

38 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

1) Joe Barry is quite frankly working with a deficiency of talent. Until more resources are put into building the defense there is no reason to fire the Defensive coordinator who at times is able to get the unit to perform well

Judging based on Scot's comments this offseason, I'm pretty sure this is how they're looking at it. He basically admitted we're weak on the Dline and he knew losing Galette was a major blow to the pass rush. 

I'd be shocked to learn he thinks Barry is getting less out of the ILB and Safety group than he should, as well. He's been throwing numbers at ILB, in particular, to try and address it, but they haven't really panned out. 

Scot had said this offseason that we're about ten starters away from being a contender. Some of those starters that need to emerge may already be on the team, like Fuller, Jones, Doctson, Kelley and Long. But I think it's safe to say he was basing that value on the amount needed for the defense.  

This is often an overlooked aspect of having a GM who can see the big picture. Where in previous years we incorrectly assumed we were much closer to contending than we truly were (hence, the quick fix mentality of our past offseasons), we now seem to have a realistic understanding of where the team is. 

Which means coaches, and even players, aren't overly blamed and are assessed properly. It's not "I gave Zorn a playoff roster" Vinny Cerrato ****. Or going all out during the offseason after a winning streak that got us into the playoffs because "all we need is this and that and we'll be a championship team". 

That being said, there's certainly a legit chance the second option is true. I just doubt it. 

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a solid plan.

I don't see the point of playing prevent defense when the other team has 3 TOs and over a minute of time. Not to mention the fact that the defense struggles with zone coverage historically. This defense is only ever competent when they send pressure. No need to change that there imo. I know most nfl coaches would disagree but that's one scenario where I think conventional wisdom is dumb among coaches

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a solid plan.

I attribute it to fan ranting Koolblue.  I'm firmly with you here.  The reason Joe Barry played so soft is precisely because of the circumstances you have adroitly pointed out.  IN FACT, his biggest fan in Washington should be Kirk Cousins (the dirty little secret is that Barry bailed him out many times after committing a costly mistake).  

If the Defense hadn't held the score down to 13 in the final stages, would we have even had an opportunity to Win?

Most likely no, but tonight folks want to rant.  Tomorrow, maybe people will be more open to reason.

So, we're down to only having 2 corners playing, which means you'd have Blackmon and Nacho covering WRs also. Cravens was in there too.

So instead of a zone/prevent defense, y'all are suggesting playing those guys in man defense with zero help over the top?

And rushing 5?

Come on now. Nobody likes a prevent defense and we know our zone is soft, but you're suggesting letting their guys run free all over the field. That makes no sense at all.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, we're down to only having 2 corners playing, which means you'd have Blackmon and Nacho covering WRs also. Cravens was in there too.

So instead of a zone/prevent defense, y'all are suggesting playing those guys in man defense with zero help over the top?

And rushing 5?

Come on now. Nobody likes a prevent defense and we know our zone is soft, but you're suggesting letting their guys run free all over the field. That makes no sense at all.

The defense played scared on the final drive. Against a vet QB in Stafford who has a rocket for an arm, playing zone is nothing to him; that's why he drove down the field so quickly. $ WRs on the line, and 3 or 4 of our defensive guys were just waiting in the endzone?

Disrupting the receivers off the line buys time for DBs/safety help to get in position; and a big physical guy like Boldin doesn't get in position in time. 3 guys rushing is no pressure, and with Stafford's arm disruption would have been the only way to stop him.

8 hours ago, Beast2Meast21 said:

Good teams dont beat themselves. Good teams come out to kick some behind when they get disrespected like that by the media. Instead this team rollled over and came out flat until it was too late.

Yes, they do. The Vikings just completely **** the bed against the Eagles, and I am pretty certain they're a good team. They're called upsets, they happen. Besides, it's not like the Lions are a 1-6, complete **** team, either. We just played like crap.

The reality is the Redskins are a 8-8, 9-7 team--which is an improvement. The NFC East is a tougher division, and we have a tougher schedule. This is St. McCloughan's 2nd year. Everyone here screams patience in the off season, then screams for everyone to get fired when we have a loss like this. I think we need to put away the torches and pitchforks, and breathe.

38 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think yesterday suggests we are not a good team, but that we have risen from a bad team to an average team. There are still more steps to make before we become either a good or great team... or fall backwards.

I think we're closer to the former than the latter. We have pieces in place, we need help on defense though, badly: ILBs, Safety and DL.

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

The defense played scared on the final drive. Against a vet QB in Stafford who has a rocket for an arm, playing zone is nothing to him; that's why he drove down the field so quickly. $ WRs on the line, and 3 or 4 of our defensive guys were just waiting in the endzone?

Disrupting the receivers off the line buys time for DBs/safety help to get in position; and a big physical guy like Boldin doesn't get in position in time. 3 guys rushing is no pressure, and with Stafford's arm disruption would have been the only way to stop him.

Okay. What corners play on the line?

Who covers deep?

Who rushes?

Make me understand, instead of just Calling Barry scared.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think yesterday suggests we are not a good team, but that we have risen from a bad team to an average team. There are still more steps to make before we become either a good or great team... or fall backwards.

I would agree with that.  Average is where we are.  I think any proclamation of reaching "good team" status can't come when we could be .500 after next week. 

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

Disrupting WR on the line also allows you to whiff on it and get burned quickly for a big play.

But sure, Toler, Fuller and Dunbar looks like a good thing against Marvin Jones, Anquan Boldin and Golden Tate.

And btw, that Lions line was no fluke yesterday.

11 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Good teams win today. Not great but good teams win. 5-2 would be huge we'll be lucky not to be 500 after next week.

I'm so pissed about this game. We should've won and this team came out flat and woke up way to late.

Check the Patriots against the Eagles last year... Except if you think the better team was the eagles last year, and not the Patriots.

Good teams do slip up and lose games too, games they shouldn't lose, however looking at how our games have played out this year, you'd have to say a "good" team is either 6-1 or 5-2.  Instead they are 4-3.  What that tells me is that they are not yet good.  The Redskins were good for a half a quarter yesterday.  Well actually, the defense was good for 3 quarters, the offense was good for half a quarter.

The team is playing good in spots, but has yet to put together a complete "good" game.  The game against the Eagles was probably the best evidence that this team can be "good" when everything goes right.

On offense, when healthy, I would say the personnel is there to be good right now, but they have to stop getting in their own way with self-inflicted wounds. 

On defense, the personnel is just not there to be good consistently.  

The team is getting there, it's just around the corner, and once they turn the corner we will all see a huge difference between that team and the 2016 squad.

Matt Jones' fumble issues and an unlikely shank by Hopkins cost us the game. Two plays. If not for those, we win going away. But, average teams will win games against good teams on occasion, and lose to teams they should beat on occasion. I had us pegged around 8-8 to start the season, and it looks like we are right on course. We're a team that has gone from terrible ('13 and '14) to average/slightly above average (2015-Now). We're getting better, but we aren't quite there yet. We still make too many boneheaded mistakes, and haven't clicked in all 3 phases in a game yet. What we are is competitive, and I think that's pretty damn good 1.5 years into a complete rebuild.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who covers deep?

Who rushes?

Make me understand, instead of just Calling Barry scared.

Nobody?

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who covers deep?

Who rushes?

Make me understand, instead of just Calling Barry scared

In that situation, I'd like for us never to rush 3. Something I'd like to see is rush 4 (baker, Murphy, Kerrigan, Preston) and have 7 DB's on the field with Cravens and Whitner at ILB. Maybe on a 3rd down rush Cravens as a change of pace. Compton isn't athletic enough as we saw on that TD throw. I'm not saying for our DB's to press at the line but immediately giving 18-22 yard gains at a clip is essentially giving away the game. That was tough to watch 

• 3 weeks later...

*******************************************************************************************************

YES, I am narcissistic enough to bump my own thread.  But here's the point:

On the Sunday after our Week 10 Victory over the Minnesota Vikings, I revisit this thread because

- We Won without Trent Williams in the Lineup!! (this is unprecedented territory)
- We Won without Desean Jackson in the Lineup
- We beat a Division Leader with a TOP 5 Defense without Trent Williams in the Lineup
- Though they have a Winning Record, Minnesota was desperate for a Win (they came into FedEx on a 4-game losing streak)
- The team came back to Win, & made a Defensive Stand to Win it

This was an interesting matchup, because Zimmer & Gruden were hired to lead their respective clubs in the same offseason.  Admittedly, I wanted Mike Zimmer more at the time but on this day, Washington looked like the better team (though it's fair to point out that the Vikings were missing several key players).  

My point here is that while going into this Season, the Vikings were considered a prime Super Bowl Contender.  And while The Redskins caught them at a good time, they still beat them by 6 (and the oddsmakers favored DC by 2 & 1/2).  So not only did The Redskins Win, they covered the spread while beating a Division Leader at FedEx Field.

If this isn't the mark of a good team, then what more do you need to see?

On 10/24/2016 at 11:20 AM, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Sometimes when I watch this team it feels like they are playing against themselves....very frustrating.

Not the hallmark of a good team....but they are showing good fight, and that certainly could mean one is developing/ 

6 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

*******************************************************************************************************

My point here is that while going into this Season, the Vikings were considered a prime Super Bowl Contender.  

Ponder, terrible blow to that contention. 

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Not the hallmark of a good team....but they are showing good fight, and that certainly could mean one is developing/ 

Perhaps this is a case of style points versus results.  

In terms of style points, the fellas definitely don't make the cut.  Yes, our games are ugly, grind-em-out slugfests.  

BUT (in terms of results)

If you knew that going into Week 11, Washington was 2 games over .500, had a Winning Record in The Division AND The Conference, AND were likely to be favored against The Green Bay Packers would you be pleased with those results?  And would you consider The Redskins a good team, based on those results?

I would.  And I do.

Archived