Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Journey - Barry Takes Ownership of Defensive Issues

dchesebrough

what matters is how you perform once the game is on the line. you can't let someone go 75 yards in a minute. there are no excuses for that.  you win as a team and lose as one, but all he had to do was be aggressive there at the end and I think we win that game. overload blitz, stunt, zone blitz, just do something other than sit back and get gashed. it's like he's scared or something. you know you're playing against a qb that is too good to not get pressure on.

I don't think the defense was THE Issue, but I can also say that Barry's approach to that final drive felt like he was coaching scared.  I know 1:06 with all your timeouts is a lot of time in the NFL, but to me the Lions won the game specifically because of the soft prevent defense that Barry called on those first two plays where the Lions were beyond mid-field with barely :20 taken off the clock.  Barry conceded half the field right away which gave the Lions so many more options to work with.  If you get them into 3rd and long on their own side of the field early in that drive, they are going to switch to playing just for the first down.

We finally blitzed and pressured Stafford on that final drive, and it worked.

So we went back to zone and promptly give up a TD.

Coaching scared yep - passive D failed, aggressive worked. You could literally see it in action play by play on that fateful drive.  DBs are more concerned about getting into their zone than anything else. Overthinking.  I bet DBs hate zone more than me. 

If the NFL announced four new expansion teams and Barry happened to be available, do you think any of those teams' HCs would pick him to be the DC? The answer is - and probably always will be - a resounding no. Can't say that for every coach on the team. Matt Cavanaugh would get a call. Boy Wonder would probably get a call, as would Bill Callahan, of course. On the defensive side of the ball, you can be sure that KO and Perry would get a call. Nobody can convince me that any other team in the NFL would want Barry as its DC. He's only in Washington because of that Tampa tie. I really want to see/know what KO could do as a DC. A team is going to approach him soon. Maybe he's like some teachers; they just love teaching in the classroom, and have no interest in being assistant principal or principal.

2 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

Barry was once the DC at Detroit.  He faced Stafford during practices.  He should know what to do against Stafford especially with him having to move 75 yards in less than a minute.  Stafford scored with time and a TO to spare. Talk about ridiculous.

I don't think he was the coordinator then. They went 0-16 with him as DC and then drafted Stafford so yeah, he should've been gone by that time. Not positive about that though...

1 minute ago, Taylor703 said:

I don't think he was the coordinator then. They went 0-16 with him as DC and then drafted Stafford so yeah, he should've been gone by that time. Not positive about that though...

But still, shouldn't being 0-16 as a DC make a GM second guess hiring him? Or whoever hired him? Had to be a buddy buddy payback deal for something earlier...

Just now, skins island connection said:

But still, shouldn't being 0-16 as a DC make a GM second guess hiring him? Or whoever hired him? Had to be a buddy buddy payback deal for something earlier...

I hated the hire. I thought it was awful. I'm pretty sure they said it was Gruden who was in charge of hiring the DC. 

17 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I hated the hire. I thought it was awful. I'm pretty sure they said it was Gruden who was in charge of hiring the DC. 

I was the happiest camper when Haslett was finally shown the door, but to be replaced by someone equally as non-creative makes me nauseated.

He absolutely HAS to improve, but I'm not holding my breath; this bro-mance crap that plagues this team is unreal. Maybe Gruden hired him for scapegoat purposes [ job security ], but regardless, another episode like this where an opponent drives the length of the field to win the game with a minute left and I will just lose it completely. I will personally pay for the ad in the WaPo calling for his head.

3 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

Barry was once the DC at Detroit.  He faced Stafford during practices.  He should know what to do against Stafford especially with him having to move 75 yards in less than a minute.  Stafford scored with time and a TO to spare. Talk about ridiculous.

Barry was once the DC at Detroit. He faced Stafford during practices. He should know what to do against Stafford especially less than a m

I've been critical of Joe Barry but the defense has been decent of late so I feel a little better about things.  I don't think its fair to critique him or the defense overall for this game -- on the aggregate the D played well.  But I was surprised about the passive-zone approach on that last drive.  For example against Eli in similar circumstances, he brought the heat.  Gun shy this time without Norman?  Jerry Brewer joins the party pertaining to the last drive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-defense-carried-the-redskins-until-it-could-no-longer-shoulder-the-load/2016/10/23/4c4b02ac-996a-11e6-b3c9-f662adaa0048_story.html?tid=pm_sports_pop_b

“We weren’t aggressive,” Jean Francois said. “If we would’ve put Matt Stafford in a tough situation, he would’ve forced that ball. But we put him in a comfortable situation, and he didn’t have to rush. He just let his routes develop, and when he did that, you saw what happened. We lost the situation that we’re supposed to master. The two-minute situation is supposed to be ours.”

The players never said defensive coordinator Joe Barry’s name, but they were angry at the play-calling after Detroit took possession with 1:05 remaining. Appropriately, they were also angry at themselves for not executing. 

Still, what Barry chose to do was too vanilla and too easy for Stafford to dissect.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“We weren’t aggressive,” Jean Francois said. “If we would’ve put Matt Stafford in a tough situation, he would’ve forced that ball. But we put him in a comfortable situation, and he didn’t have to rush. He just let his routes develop, and when he did that, you saw what happened. We lost the situation that we’re supposed to master. The two-minute situation is supposed to be ours.”

Agreed completely with RJF.  The game was there for the taking, but they're weren't put in a position to be successful.  Barry, IMO, is an arrogant "my way or the highway" type of coach who could care less what others think.  The players don't like him at all and I'm not sure if the other coaches do either.  I think Gruden felt the same but he didn't want throw Barry under the bus. I really hope the situation doesn't reach boiling point,  but it may headed that way.  

5 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Agreed completely with RJF.  The game was there for the taking, but they're weren't put in a position to be successful.  Barry, IMO, is an arrogant "my way or the highway" type of coach who could care less what others think.  The players don't like him at all and I'm not sure if the other coaches do either.  I think Gruden felt the same but he didn't want throw Barry under the bus. I really hope the situation doesn't reach boiling point,  but it may headed that way.  

Love though for RJF to stop talking -- between the criticizing coaches and the arrogant boasts -- just seems odd for this to be coming from a part time D lineman.   As for Gruden and Barry -- I'd guess all is fine.  But I did comment weeks ago that I noticed (the cameras didn't catch it) Jay yelling at Barry during the Dallas game.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been critical of Joe Barry but the defense has been decent of late so I feel a little better about things.  I don't think its fair to critique him or the defense overall for this game -- on the aggregate the D played well.  But I was surprised about the passive-zone approach on that last drive.  For example against Eli in similar circumstances, he brought the heat.  Gun shy this time without Norman?

Herein lies the answer, in my view.  After Norman went out, I saw Quentin Dunbar in Press Coverage at times during the game & I thought "OH ****!"  Apparently, so did Barry.

I'm more in line with Skinsinparadise.  He's right - "on the aggregate the played well."  

It's difficult for me to see how any reasonable fan can take issue with Barry outside of the final drive.  Giving up the Go-Ahead Touchdown in that fashion is clearly unacceptable, & he's sure to understand that. (in fact, the agony of that defeat can provide value as a teachable moment going forward)

Now aside from that obvious error, what's everyone's beef?  Again, the last drive notwithstanding, The Defense not only played admirably, they kept us in the game ALL DAY!  And that's including the loss of our Shutdown Corner late in the game.  Remember, the Lions got the ball from a Fumble on the + side of the field, late into the 3rd Quarter with the momentum, & could've put the game away right there (going up 2 Touchdowns in a low scoring affair).  And The D held(!), limiting the score to 13-3.  That gave Cousins the opening he needed.  Barry & The Defense get props for that.

But we lost, so everyone's grousing.  That's cool, I understand that.  But to tar & feather our D Coordinator I don't get.

4 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

That is just plain false. Barry was there in 2007 and 2008. Stafford was drafted in 2009. Not to mention that would have been an awful long time ago.

The D has been playing well. they fell down on the last drive for sure. But let's get real - the D was the only reason we were still in it!

I'm not sure why some are letting Barry off the hook because he called a decent 59 minutes.  The sheepish, Haslett-like, zone garbage in the final minute overshadows the rest of the game.   With that said, there is no point in firing the guy now. But for those of you who believe this team is on the right track, do you really picture Joe Barry leading our D when the going gets good?  Not if you are honest with yourself.  Deep down you gotta know that he's not the guy that contributes to taking this team to the next level.

40 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure why some are letting Barry off the hook because he called a decent 59 minutes.  The sheepish, Haslett-like, zone garbage in the final minute overshadows the rest of the game.   With that said, there is no point in firing the guy now. But for those of you who believe this team is on the right track, do you really picture Joe Barry leading our D when the going gets good?  Not if you are honest with yourself.  Deep down you gotta know that he's not the guy that contributes to taking this team to the next level.

So if we disagree then we are not being honest? That's BS. You are entitled to your opinion but that does not make you right.

Yes, I see a lot of promise in the D. He has dealt with massive injuries and after a poor start the D has gotten considerably better. Also, the guys coming in when someone gets injured are typically ready to play, something we have not had here for a long time.

My point was that I can't imagine that even homerist of homers truly sees Joe Barry as the guy that will lead this defense back to prominence.  I completely understand that some fans are just out for blood after a loss like this and tend to always want to point fingers and fire people. I can't imagine how firing a coordinator at this point in the season will bring anything of value to the middling team we are.

So I understand those of you holding down the fort against that crew.  At the same time, I just have a hard time believing that even the homerist of homers believes that Joe Barry is the guy that leads this defense back to prominence. 

There is a place that exists between complete optimism and wanting to burn down Ashburn and start from scratch.  It just seems like its one or the other anymore. There are a few here that defend and positively spin everything and there's the others who are the exact opposite and crap on everything. Meanwhile I reside in the middle of Redskins Nation where I believe the organization is headed in the right direction long term but can still see things that don't/aren't working out: Barry, Jones, Doctson, etc.

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My point was that I can't imagine that even homerist of homers truly sees Joe Barry as the guy that will lead this defense back to prominence.  I completely understand that some fans are just out for blood after a loss like this and tend to always want to point fingers and fire people. I can't imagine how firing a coordinator at this point in the season will bring anything of value to the middling team we are.

So I understand those of you holding down the fort against that crew.  At the same time, I just have a hard time believing that even the homerist of homers believes that Joe Barry is the guy that leads this defense back to prominence. 

There is a place that exists between complete optimism and wanting to burn down Ashburn and start from scratch.  It just seems like its one or the other anymore. There are a few here that defend and positively spin everything and there's the others who are the exact opposite and crap on everything. Meanwhile I reside in the middle of Redskins Nation where I believe the organization is headed in the right direction long term but can still see things that don't/aren't working out: Barry, Jones, Doctson, etc.

So first people are being dishonest if they don't see it your way, now they are just homers - no rational thought just being homers.

I will tell you if you don't see any chance Barry can lead this Def then you have not been paying any attention to the bigger picture. You are looking at things in very narrow predetermined view. You clearly started with the narrative that he will not work out and are looking for reasons to support your position.

For the record, I do not put a positive spin on everything. I just don't; continually **** and complain about things and look for the negative. While you are trying to position yourself as some kind of moderate, that's BS. You clearly have an agenda with Barry if you can't see that from a bigger picture he is making progress. With all the injuries and lack of talent in a few key areas, it's going to take time. What people of your ilk are guilty of is impatience. If it does not happen immediately it's never going to happen.

I am not by any means certain Barry can do it. But I see enough good things to be willing to continue to give him the benefit of the doubt. You don't, that's fine. But don't; talk down to others calling them homers and dishonest because they see it differently.

With that, I am done here. Not wasting any more time.

The final drive was tough to watch. There were two plays where we seemingly had a shot to make a play (the incompletion in the end zone was "interceptable" if Toler got his head around just a little quicker and the TD pass seemed VERY close to being tipped by a linebacker). But, in both situations, it would have taken great personal efforts to do so. 

I did really want to see more pressure once they crossed midfield. I was fine rushing 4 on the first play or two, but then we needed to try to dictate. Once they got to midfield on the first play, it was pretty obvious that the clock wasn't going to be a 12th defender with the timeouts they had left. On 2nd-and-10 we blitzed (Cravens almost got to Stafford) and forced a quick throw. I would have preferred to go down swinging like that. 

It's ironic, but in some ways a TD on the Toler PBU would have helped us and given Cousins a few more seconds to get us to the 40.  

Archived