Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Journey - Barry Takes Ownership of Defensive Issues

dchesebrough

OTOH, I would blame Jay Gruden for not going Onside Kick after Kirk scored a TD.

You most likely caught the Lions with their pants down as not expecting it. We recover, we win. Simple as that. And if they recover let them score on their first play to get the ball back again and score a FG to reach OT.

Sounds like a good game plan to me.

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't agree with that either. 

Maybe I'm just old, but I would prefer that the team stay together publicly and disagree behind closed doors. 

Yeah, the only thing I'd say to that is I wonder what context Gruden "agreed with the players" in. Was he asked and how so? 

It could easily be that he didn't want to publicly disagree with them but he's telling them to chill behind closed doors. Who knows. Not pleased by any of this, though. They gotta stop doing that. 

I don't know, however, that it's because they don't respect Barry. In fact, I might argue it's because they're so comfortable with him that they're willing to do that. When I was in the locker room after the Browns and Eagles games, RJF would mention Joe Barry in a fun, loving way over and over. 

After the Browns game he kept screaming, jokingly, at Baker that he's "Joe Barry's Dlinemen of the week". Like, over and over. Maybe he was making fun of Baker having that spat on the sidelines the game before against the Giants. I don't know, but he wouldn't shut up about it and Baker eventually got annoyed. :ols: 

My point is, they just seem overly comfortable. It's more that than it is disrespect, in my opinion. 

Now, people can argue if that's a good thing or not, but that's Gruden's philosophy. He's going to let these guys be themselves and not be as controlling as other coaches. There are pros and cons to that, this is one of those cons. 

Gruden's quotes are in BRBN in relation to the 3 man rush.  In summary, he said that looking back at the call he would have liked to have more men around Stafford and that he understands the frustration as D lineman don't get paid to backpedal.  Grudenspeak for that was a bad call by Barry and the D lineman should be pissed playing coverage.

I'm not sure how much it matters, as I doubt Barry is listening to Grudens Monday pressers. 

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Gruden's quotes are in BRBN in relation to the 3 man rush.  In summary, he said that looking back at the call he would have liked to have more men around Stafford and that he understands the frustration as D lineman don't get paid to backpedal.  Grudenspeak for that was a bad call by Barry and the D lineman should be pissed playing coverage.

I'm not sure how much it matters, as I doubt Barry is listening to Grudens Monday pressers. 

He also said, you can find it in BRBN btw, that he spends all his time during a game and after the game second guessing the calls by the OC and DC and that coaches hates him for that....Don't see this as much trouble.

Players disliked the call, second guessed it, but they still play the call. And I believe to the best of their possibilities.

I don't exactly disagree with the sentiment that we needed pressure on Stafford - I'm not as upset with Barry as some are though.  

As others have mentioned though, he had to deal with issues in the secondary, he called a standard defense that DCs the league over use in that scenario, and it makes some sense to mix up his calls to avoid predictability.

Bottom line,  no matter the call, the players need to execute.  If Barry had called nothing but blitzes and the Lions moved the ball with ease and scored he'd have been torn apart for it - hanging his depleted secondary out to dry, his predictability making it easier on the OC/QB.

Archived