Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Baker vs Joe Barry

zoony

24 minutes ago, MartinC said:

To be fair to the ILBs it a tough position to play if the D'Line in front of you are not doing their jobs. I know we are playing 1 gap but far too often our ILBs are fighting off blocks of 300lb plus O'Line men at the second level. That said I do agree they need to play better - too many missed tackles. 

Its 3rd downs that are killing us though. We have to be more aggressive on those downs because rushing 3 or 4 and dropping into coverage is not getting it done. Kerrigan and Smith getting some pressure would help, right now they are being outplayed by Trent Murphy.

There is no reason that two of the following should ever be in coverage at the same time: 91, 93, 94.  It's an absolute waste of their talents and percentage-wise I feel like we'd get more hurries, hits, and sacks with about the same completion ratio with at least two of them rushing, if not all three, that we would with just our typical give-'em-eight-yards-in-the-middle zone coverage.

51 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I still think that a part of why Gruden went to Barry was self-preservation. He was very much on the hotseat at the start of 15 and he didn't want a guy who the Front Office might strongly consider being a midseason replacement. 

Yup! Wade was twice made an interim head coach, and McC fired Nolan midseason and put in the DC as interim HC. Barry was as non-threatening as they come

Well it's obvious Barry is just another member of the Ashburn Country Club...aka Redskin Park. That's the only reason he's employed here. That goal one play was a pathetic joke. Glad Baker gave him an tongue lashing. But even with a great win, I still can't get over how everyone is getting easy conversions on 3rd and long. At some point that's coaching. That soft zone and 4 man rush is not working yet that fool keeps calling that stupid, ineffective defense. 

When the season is over I will pay for his ticket out of town. Go back to Tampa or San Diego. You are not an NFL defensive coordinator.

Barry has had his moments, and he's working against a stacked deck.

But he's been out-schemed, out coached, and out maneuvered, and it's clear as day.  

It looks like, with just a little bit of luck, the 'Skins are at least going to have a competitive season.  They take care of business on Sunday against the Browns, and they're playing a very beatable Ravens team the following week to get their nose out a little bit.  

But at the end of the season, which, let's say end at ~8-8, I think SM has to sit Gruden and Allen down and say, "guys, we're getting out-schemed.  We've got to find somebody better."  He might not be the decider, but he knows enough to know when the other coaches are taking advantage of you.

That said, the defense gave up 6 points to the Giants in the second half, in the meadowlands, where they typically give up 35 points in the second half, so maybe it's coming together a little bit.

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think Barry is awful, but I hate seeing our players act this way. I know it happens in the heat of the game and love the passion, blah blah blah. BUT, as long as Barry is our DC, the players need to show him respect. He's in charge and calling the plays. Now, Baker might not agree (and might be right sometimes), but Barry is more qualified than Chris Baker to lead our defense. 

That's no big deal for me. Coaches and players argueing happens on any given sunday.

But in our case, I doubt it have something to do with Barry's skills has a DC or whatever. I tend to think that he's not really confident with the players he have at his disposition on D. Basically we're playing the same type of D that we were playing with all the injuries. While I could understand then, I have some trouble right now. (And I'm pretty pissed with Compton so far, a guy I really like but is either invisible or laying on the ground).

So we're supposed to have a healthy secondary and D, and we're still playing soft. 2nd half was better, way better. Maybe due to personnel, probably not. Maybe Barry just went OK and decided to go with what Baker said, or that Gruden urged him to be more aggressive... Who knows...

2 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Yes, and Wade helped Denver when a championship last year. 

Well, I'd take Denver D with Barry's at the helm over our Redskins D with Philips at the helm, any time, and it's not even close.

20 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Well it's obvious Barry is just another member of the Ashburn Country Club...aka Redskin Park. That's the only reason he's employed here. That goal one play was a pathetic joke. Glad Baker gave him an tongue lashing. But even with a great win, I still can't get over how everyone is getting easy conversions on 3rd and long. At some point that's coaching. That soft zone and 4 man rush is not working yet that fool keeps calling that stupid, ineffective defense. 

When the season is over I will pay for his ticket out of town. Go back to Tampa or San Diego. You are not an NFL defensive coordinator.

Tons of teams play soft 4 man rush on 3rd and long. And it works more than not.

We aren't great on this Dept. our DL is suspect, our MLBs and S are as well. You can bet that if the fans know it, our coaches know it too, and opponents Coordinators knows it also.

Most likely is that our DC is trying to hide that one way or another.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Yup! Wade was twice made an interim head coach, and McC fired Nolan midseason and put in the DC as interim HC. Barry was as non-threatening as they come

And Wade wasn't a great HC to begin with.

But if that was true, then I wonder why did they go after guys like Fewell, Callahan who also have history has HC.

So that's bull****.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

But if that was true, then I wonder why did they go after guys like Fewell, Callahan who also have history has HC.

So that's bull****.

I agree, the "un-threatening" thing is BS.  

The reason that Barry was hired is because he was a LB coach in TB from 2001 - 2006.  Allen was the GM from 2003-2008.  

Jay Gruden was an offensive assistant from 2002-2008.

Allen and Gruden hire the people they are familiar with.  What's just odd is that they treat the period of the mid-2000 TB Bucs as though they were Lombardi's packers.  When from 2003 - 2008 (when Allen was the GM, Jon was the HC), they went 7-9, 5-11, 11-5,4-12,9-7, 9-7.  (Then 3-13 the year after they were fired.)

For a grand total of 2 playoff appearances.  Interestingly, the 11-5 season was 2005, which ended when Coach Gibbs' Redskins team beat them in the division round down in Tampa.  

They just kept dipping into the same well that had mediocre results the first time around, expecting better results the second time around.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

11 hours ago, Diesel Hog said:

So are you guys saying you want this guy back ;)

God No!

I think he and Berry are cut from the same cloth... Play 2 solid downs of defense and let them convert impossible 3rd down over and over again. The team has a 2 Division championships despite their effort to the contrary.That is what I was referring to on the Gameday thread when I said, "Our D has been soft for years.

Our last great D was under Gregg Williams, but he didn't get the job. Prolly better that way since we would have reaped the hammer of Bountygate had he been HC here.

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Definitely doesn't look good.  I realize it was in the heat of battle, but Baker's face and demeanor told me he's had enough of Joe Barry's ineptitude.

does anyone have a gif or video of said incident...i missed it...

if anything I'd like to have a young under the radar asst. def coach with balls as big as church bells....or maybe Gene Chizik...seems to do wonders with a talentless UNC squad...

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

You should expand your sig photo to include the team defense YTD stats for 2016.

Per game averages (rank) so far in 2016:

Yards: 424.7 (30)

Pass: 301.7 (26)

Rush: 123 (26)

I'm with Baker on this one.

C'mon y'all. Stop with all the negative Nancy talk. Barry is doing a fine job. Our defense can stop everything except the run or the pass on short or long yardage downs. Give the man a break!

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Nah, Blatche doesnt belong in this convo.  His defenses were at least respectable.  They just were bland.  They were top 10 the first year of Zorn.

What I remember from Blatche were uninspired gameplans with no in game adjustments and completely vanilla defenses that got exploited and outschemed.  That's what reminded me of Barry.  Perhaps Blatche was, in reality, much better than Barry, but it's been awhile since I've thought about the Zorn years, thankfully.  Maybe we just shouldn't go there--sooner or later, we'll end up at the same place: the swinging gate.

12 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

What I remember from Blatche were uninspired gameplans with no in game adjustments and completely vanilla defenses that got exploited and outschemed.  That's what reminded me of Barry.  Perhaps Blatche was, in reality, much better than Barry, but it's been awhile since I've thought about the Zorn years, thankfully.  Maybe we just shouldn't go there--sooner or later, we'll end up at the same place: the swinging gate.

:rofl89::rofl89::rofl89::rofl89: Oh wait, I mean :angry:

The really sad thing about this is that IMHO good, not great but good defensive coordinators aren't that hard to find. It always seems that there's a decent pool of them every offseason. The bar is low here. Pretty much any "just a guy" defensive coordinator would be able to at least get us to middling. That's not great but it beats being a doormat and it's good enough to carry us over until we can find someone who's a lot better.

At the time I had just started to think maybe I was wrong about Gruden but the Barry hire made me realize I was right. He is in over his head.

I think there's perhaps a bit of overreaction here...especially given our history as a fan base.  

I'm still no Barry fan, but i will say that he's been prone to accidentally(?) make the odd proper in-game adjustment.  Already an exponential improvement over Haslett.  Also...i feel that this is a team of fighters.  They won't accept complacency within a losing status-quo.  If something isn't working, they expect changes to be made, & accountability to be transparent.  So it seems they felt they were being handcuffed....too conservative.  In the middle of a hotly contested game...where we couldn't seem to stop them in any pivotal situations.  There was also a lot of shooting ourselves in the foot, & missed tackles...& a lot of offensive holding that went uncalled.

What i do like is that there seems to have been some growth here where the players stated their case, & the coaches allowed them some rope to succeed/fail.  This should instill some confidence among the staff to continue to let the players make plays, & own the burden of getting put more on an island with a higher risk:reward ratio.  

Not gonna call Barry a genius, or anything like that...but it smells a lot like a coach was maybe coddling his players with this soft scheme, & when the players reacted by demanding/asking to carry the brunt of the burden, Barry responded by tweaking his scheme.  

I'm hoping this is more of what's to come...but it certainly feels like, especially after some of the exotic blitzes/stunts we saw in the preseason...like Barry has been tentative to play with his new toys until he feels they are good enough to stand on their own.

Long season guys/gals...let's try watching a bit first, no?

Just now, nemocystem said:

Just now, nemocystem said:

Long season guys/gals...let's try watching a bit first, no?

Holy ****ing **** are you serious?

Last week the GC ripped him on the sidelines mid game.

This week a player ripped him on the sidelines mid game.

You know the worst part? He listened to him! The player was right! We got aggressive after that. We stopped doing a base first down defense on the goal line. We only allowed 6 points after Baker yelled at him.

It's week three and he's been yelled at on the sidelines by the GC and a leader after a players only meeting.

Our team has a players only meeting and the game the next day our back up TE is telling the coach no to certain plays and DL are telling the DC what to do.

Only us could **** up such a big win with this kind of BS. Our post season hope was almost crushed by week ****ing 3, but players stopped listening to the coaches so we could win. Wtf? How the **** does that happen?

Archived