Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

As I've been reading-- it seems there isn't too much confidence in him around here. 

Does anyone see him making a second year leap and being a key cog in our offense? I see a guy who can excel in our up tempo/ pass happy offense if he can hold on the the ball.

give me your predictions for him Monday night?!

17-76 TD

4 catches 45 yards. 

I had brought this up on a Facebook convo. This fanbase seems really down on him overall.  I know he needs to stay healthy and there was the fumbling issue to start the season but he did end his rookie season with almost 800 all purpose yards. He was a 3rd round draft pick but it seems as some are writing him off like a 1st round draft bust.

I don't think he will do good against the Steelers, they have been good at run defense for a while but I do think he will have an improved sophomore season.

Seems to me he should have a decent game against the Steelers... Id think Pittsburgh would have to rely on their LBs in coverage with our WR personell with Jackson, Garcon, Crowder and Reed.....   Is Bill Callahan overrated?  I was expecting alot from our Oline... I was expecting him to make our Oline better then it has been with run blocking... I haven't seen much improvement.

Just now, bowhunter said:

Am I the only one who has concerns about a RB with suspect ball security trying to return from a AC shoulder injury ? Add in the fact that it's against Pittsburghs tough run D and I fear it's a recipe for grass stained footballs.

I think just about everyone is worried about this, except subs. :806:

@thesubmittedone where's your Jones prediction?

IMO, it's going to be a RB by committee on Monday night given the fact that he's listed as questionable.  Probably 40-50 yards on total carries.  Thompson an Kelley will probably factor in.  They're going to need to run the ball to keep the Steeler defense honest otherwise Cousins might have to chuck it 30-40 times.

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Unfortunately, my prediction is he doesn't finish the game. Either injury or fumbling issues will hurt him.

Not sure if Kelly or someone else steps in and makes a name for themselves, but I've got a bad feeling about Jones.

Why didn't we sign Pierre  Thomas or some other vet RB? Or did we and I missed it?

If they are to sign Thomas, it would be Tuesday when his contract would not be guaranteed.

But why would you sign Thomas? If you plan to keep 4 RBs, you keep Brown. More importantly. who do you drop from the 53 mon roster? And please do not say Sudfield. It's clear the team plans to go with 3 QBs (and as someone else pointed out, so do 2/3s of the NFL).

It might just be interesting to actually let the team play a few games before deciding that Jones is a bust and the teams should carry some past their prime RBs. There is a youth movement here. Thomas was an emergency stop gap last year, and that's all. If he really had something left in him, why hasn't someone else picked him up?  

We have 5 RBs on the roster, 6 if you count Silas Redd (suspended). But realistically 5, 3 active, 1 PS on one on IR. Even if Jones goes down don't look for them to sign a veteran. The only way Thomas gets signed is if we have multiple injuries. Even then there are no guarantees it would him.

I'm not sure Jones has the goods, but I think he's the best back on the team when he's healthy.  And I don't think it's close.  I think Kelley is serviceable and he certainly earned his spot on the team.  Does Jones have concerns?  Yes.  But thinking Kelley should start is, in my opinion, a major overreaction.

Jones 17 - 75yds, 1 TD

I don't remember Scot saying he changed his mind about Matt.  He didn't sign anyone to challenge him to start (veteran) and he let the veteran RBs go.  He only used a 7th rounder and picked up an undrafted guy to add to the position.  His actions say he believes in Matt.

The comments are from last year, but this has been his plan all along:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491995/article/mccloughan-matt-jones-similar-to-marshawn-lynch

In separate interviews with Washington's WTEM and WJFK this week, McCloughan compared Jones' violent running style to Seahawks superstar Marshawn Lynch.

"Matt Jones reminds me a lot -- a lot -- of Marshawn," McCloughan said, via CSN Washington, "from the standpoint that he's north-south, he's downhill and he's not afraid of contact."

McCloughan can speak with authority on the subject because he was in theSeahawks' front office when Seattle traded for Lynch back in 2010.

"You come downhill, and you know what? I was very lucky to be around Marshawn Lynch for the years I was in Seattle," McCloughan told WJFK's Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier. "And to see the violence he ran with, to see how guys got tired of tackling him; Matt Jones is similar."

McCloughan was careful to bolster Gruden's statement that Morris is the starter, but he expects Jones to increase his snaps and "impose his will" on tacklers when the sledding gets tougher in December and January.

If Jones impresses late in the season, the Redskins will have a tough decision to make when Morris' contract runs out at the end of the year.

----

Lauvao is the starting LG again, Scherff year 2, Trent is Trent, Vernon Davis blocking, offense should have great balance...

So based on that I expect over 100 yards and over 4 YPC.  

The Marshawn Lynch comparison might be setting the bar a little bit high, but I agree with SM on this one. Matt Jones is big, fast, strong, and doesn't shy away from contract. He can block and catch. He has all the physical tools you want in a RB. 

He had problems with fumbles and seeing his lanes last year. Those problems are correctable. 

If he stays healthy, my money says he has a good year. I'm not exactly sure why people are so down on him.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think just about everyone is worried about this, except subs. :806:

@thesubmittedone where's your Jones prediction?

Do I need to say it? :ols: 

I hate predicting anything and just don't do it, but I believe good things are in store. Good things. Things that will allow me to have a lot of fun at your expense real soon. Wonderful things. 

troll-face-meme-400x250.jpg

Lol, seriously though, the Steelers D are really good at stopping the run, so it might not come as soon as I'd like. And I am a little worried about his shoulder. But I'm still all aboard the Matt Jones train and you're tied to the tracks, KB!  :815:

Probable going away confuses situations like his. He had a full practice yet is listed questionable. Those are 2 very conflicting things. In years past, I believe a guy going full before weeks end would be almost automatically upped to Probable. 

Now, you have to dig into practice details to know if he practiced fully. The NFL said it was removed to eliminate confusion - I call bunk. It was so they can pin Belly down on his bogus reports. Injuries are a very dynamic thing, having less categories simply lumps the more injured in with the less injured. 

Questionable now means uncertain. Doubtful means unlikely. There you go. Questionable + Full Practice = Probable. We have to do math. 

Sucks, they have no category for someone simply 95% very likely to go.  

Check out this gem:

The reason that the “probable” category was eliminated was because approximately 95 percent of players who were listed in that category eventually played in that week’s game.

Probable sure seemed like an accurate categorization. Lets eliminate accuracy. Yay. 

Archived